• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

thebeebs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Goodness those are beautiful. I am new to Alden shell but have been following the thread for some time now. While I love (and own) color 8, I can't get over how striking the whiskey shell is.
thank you. whiskey is certainly striking, which is precisely why i reserve it for specific, non-dressy models and wear it casually. i like the LHS and chukka best in this color.

that said, color 8 is still King
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

These are natural shell.

Take a look around the welt area- I wanted to see your opinions on it, as it's causing quite a stir in the other thread.

I've observed a lot of Alden plain toe shoes in CXL and cordovan and have not seen "bunching" on the toe like that. Sure the shoes may have other issues, but that is one I haven't run across. I like plain toe shoes and boots to have clean lines, so that could be an issue for me. Rest of the boots do look great (though I am not the biggest fan of natural cordovan as a color)

GooseG

Reaction score

I've observed a lot of Alden plain toe shoes in CXL and cordovan and have not seen "bunching" on the toe like that. Sure the shoes may have other issues, but that is one I haven't run across. I like plain toe shoes and boots to have clean lines, so that could be an issue for me. Rest of the boots do look great (though I am not the biggest fan of natural cordovan as a color)

I agree that the makeup has potential to be a winner. The shell looks great.

They're debating whether this is a construction issue with the welt, and speculation if it puts the upper at risk for tearing. I have never seen this, on shell or not. It may be difficult to tell from the two photos, but the other ones posted by the owner showed that his two boots differed in shaft height by what appeared to be at least a half inch.

Burzan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
received my brown chromexcel PTBs from lost & found in Toronto! :)

Looks great, one of my favs from Alden.

I was wondering if what they had was the CXL as they call it "Waxed Brown Calf", plus the old pics they had did not look like the same shoe everyone else carried. The new pics they recently put up look better.

Last edited:

turdburglar

Reaction score
Looks great, one of my favs from Alden.

I was wondering if what they had was the CXL as they call it "Waxed Brown Calf", plus the old pics they had did not look like the same shoe everyone else carried. The new pics they recently put up look better.
Thanks, these are soo comfortable as well!

And yah, I wasnt sure as well since it was referred to as Waxed Brown Calf.. but when I spoke with one of the owners on the phone he referred it to as chromexcel. I did take a peak at the model number (29364f) and it was the same as other vendors selling them as CXL (and of course, the leather is VERY soft..)

Burzan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, these are soo comfortable as well!

And yah, I wasnt sure as well since it was referred to as Waxed Brown Calf.. but when I spoke with one of the owners on the phone he referred it to as chromexcel. I did take a peak at the model number (29364f) and it was the same as other vendors selling them as CXL (and of course, the leather is VERY soft..)

It''s been a top model on my list of wants for a while now, my only reservation was picking up the natural CXL PTB already. I figure I need some Alden diversity before going back to the brown CXL. One day though, I think they would be a great addition to my collection as I mainly wear chinos and jeans.

Thx, just placed my order

Last edited:

docalden2013

Reaction score
Do you guys think it's completely ridiculous to preorder the tankers if I am already getting very regular use out of the Plaza king indys? The only differences are the plaza vs barrie last, antique vs dark edging and split toe vs non-split toe. I just really like the antique edging and the shape of cordovan boots on barrie, of which I have several. Is this too much of a redundancy in the collection or should I save the money? Please don't answer in the negative simply to eliminate my 8.5 size from the competition ;)

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Do you guys think it's completely ridiculous to preorder the tankers if I am already getting very regular use out of the Plaza king indys? The only differences are the plaza vs barrie last, antique vs dark edging and split toe vs non-split toe. I just really like the antique edging and the shape of cordovan boots on barrie, of which I have several. Is this too much of a redundancy in the collection or should I save the money? Please don't answer in the negative simply to eliminate my 8.5 size from the competition ;)

IMO the plaza king Indy is a dress boot while the tanker is a more of a casual boot. In practice, the two look very different.

GooseG

Reaction score

Doc, you should decide quickly...I just snagged an 8.5D!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads