• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rolling green

Reaction score
Originally Posted by enigma77
^ Ah. What's the advantage of machine stitched/how can you tell?

I do not think there's any advantage but I do like the cleaner look of machine stitching. I'm expecting to purchase the context tanker in #8 which has the hand sewn stitching which is why I'm looking for the indy in the machine stitch. If anyone knows where to find it please let me know

joz411no

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bbhewee
Tres bien stocks them... I'm still unsure about them.

http://www.tresbienshop.net/en/art/m...-wing-boot.php

I don't think the miss is solely because of the long wing itself. The McNairy boots look a little high for the long wing design. Perhaps a two-tone spectator approach would have been better, mixing textures. I think if Alden were to introduce a long wing chukka in a grain leather that would be nice. Even Aldens high boots would not be lower-calf height. Hmmmm.... long wing chukkas in a delightful tan or walnut grain.

slide13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After some of the Alden QC issues that I have mentioned as well as others I feel I need to share my recent, and awesome, customer service experience with Alden.

About 13 months ago I bought a pair of 405 boots from a local shop, this is the original cotton lined version. Great boots but after about 10 months the lining in the toe box became torn and started to fall down. They also developed this odd "click" sound when I walked which I can only figure must be the steel shank in the shoe. So I called Alden and, as usual, got an answering machine but this time I left a message for the first time. Within a few hours I had a call back. They were unsure if they could fix this issue but offered to take a look at it. I boxed up the boots last week and sent them in with a not describing my problems. Today I received a call from Alden stating that they agreed with me that this was unusual and shouldn't have happened. They offered to replace them and when I expressed interest in the 404 models sole offered me either that or the 405 in either 11 or 11.5 (as I've lately moved down to an 11 from the 11.5 that my Indy boots were originally). I'm very pleased and impressed with this level of service and especially the timeliness of it all, I sent them in just 6 days ago. Their willingness to let me change model and size also impressed me greatly. In the end, I decided to stick with the 405, and should be getting a new pair this week.

I'm very impressed with their response and willingness to take care of the issue for me, this has definitely made me a bigger fan of Alden and more willing to overlook some of their QC issues when they arise as I know they will stand behind any issues that may develop.

jasonfoote303

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rolling green
Does any one know where, when, or if the cigar shell indie boot with machine stitching will be available?

I don't think ever.

When I was at the factory I asked Bob Clark (VP) about the newer shell boots having hand sewn fronts (as opposed to machine stitched) and he said that that is an executive decision that Alden has made. He told me he saw a pair in a store with the machine stitching and felt it devalued the look of the shell boot and was not esthetically up to the standards they want to present.

For the record, I like the machine stitching better on the Indy. Oh well

jasonfoote303

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rolling green
thanks for the useful info.....guess I can stop searching forever!

That's not to say that I'm certain that we will never see it again, it's just what I heard straight from the horses mouth. Alden does some funny stuff sometimes and anything is possible.

I like plain toe boots in cordovan better anyway!
smile.gif

davichan

Reaction score
Hi Alden thread, i am new to posting, yup 1st time, i have been lurking for the past year on this thread and a SuFu shoes that age....thread, and just loving it!!!!
worship.gif
i felt until i had something of worth to share with the thread, that i would continue to read on, but after combing over again throughout this entire thread the other day to see what folks might have been saying about the natural chromexcel stuff. there was def a topic i could honestly voice onto. as some of you were mentioning in earlier posts.. My natural chromexcel Indys sized 7.5D trubalance do fell allot roomier, and i might say feel as thought they fit almost a half size looser than my cordovan #8 Indys sized 7.5D trubalance. nothing bad personally they both still work great. the shells have the feeling of being in an almost formed fitting vacuum while the natural chromexel have a more work boot secureness and give to them. just my first piece of 2cents i share. i am loving my aldens, and plan to post pics as well to share, especially the natural chromexel as it transforms over the fall/winter.. my best.

phantomx48

Reaction score
Same here. . .my natural Indy's from Leffot feel a half size bigger than my Cigar Shell Indy's (also from Leffot). Both pairs are 12D and on the same last. Of course by tightening the laces they fit well, but they are definitely roomier. In fact, if I were to wear one boot on each foot, the laces on the Shell Indy would be noticeably more "open" than the natural Indy while maintaining the same comfortable fit.

At first I thought it was because the shell cordovan was a uniquely different leather, but then I compared further and my black Indy's in 12D and same last feel like the Cigar Shell Indy's, and not bigger like the natural Indy's.

Must be something unique about the characteristics of the chromexcel in natural.

scb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
went to the shoe mart after work. irregular for the win! $289 for these. couldn't resist

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads