• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CEE88

Reaction score

^ Alden takes Horween's #8 (which is a rather dull, brownish burgundy color) and dyes their finished shoes with their own dye to make them the deep eggplant purple we all know and love. Obviously, the people doing the overdye aren't the most consistent given all the splotchiness we've seen as well as the runs you encounter on the lining of #8 Aldens.

That's exactly what I've been thinking:

Distorbiant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You've got to be kidding me. First, an "uncle" that evokes all kinds of wierdness. But at least Mac knows what he is talking about and, until recently, was a not only a highly informed presence, but a ubiquitous one too. Now this fsmily of strangers theme is made even more weird by what appears to be a thoroughly self-appointed "grandfather?". Lord, is "grandpa" Ari Gold continent? senile? Does he have experience on the topics that matter - in other words, is he older and wiser? Or just a smelly old fart who talks too much, and is too out of it to care that he has the last three days of meals staining his shirt as he walks to Denny's at 4:30 in the afternoon for the stale pie?

Uncle, please don't disrespect grandfather. He is a great member and highly valued member of our community.

The best health,
D

AriGold

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ah, you wear a suit regularly. What are your thoughts on a cap toe blucher (2160 or 2145)?

While generally prefering balmorals/oxfords when wearing a suit, the captoe blucher looks great. unfortunately it only comes in the aberdeen last which doesn't fit me very well.

I think there is no small measure of irony and/or sarcasm in what Ari is doing.

I was hoping to provide respite for those who miss my grandnephew Mac and his veiny ankles.

Excellent, my brother from another mother!

Grandson, need you perpetuate racial stereotypes?

Uncle, please don't disrespect grandfather. He is a great member and highly valued member of our community.

The best health,
D

Thank you Grandson Disoriented.

mtc2000

Reaction score

^ Alden takes Horween's #8 (which is a rather dull, brownish burgundy color) and dyes their finished shoes with their own dye to make them the deep eggplant purple we all know and love. Obviously, the people doing the overdye aren't the most consistent given all the splotchiness we've seen as well as the runs you encounter on the lining of #8 Aldens.

Yes, that's the extra dye results in the signature eggplant color. Additionally, Alden applies some glazing to give that out-of-the-box "glow".

BTW, the dye was applied as a way to even out the inherent color imperfections and/or variations in shell Cordovan. Theoretically, resulting in better yield. But there are instances where dyes weren't applied evenly.

In contrast, Vass uses a large amount of wax paste to even out the color variations, which is arguably a less effective method.

neutrino

Reaction score
LeatherSoul does a jumper boot in CXL. Trubalance last on water lock soles, all eyelets

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick_b

LS Ultimate Jumper in brown CXL. I love them.

Moulded shoe in NYC has a captoe boot in brown cxl.
Thanks gents. I knew there was something out there
nod[1].gif

sazon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Leffot got their black longwings in - a few sizes look to be available... This is a nice, dressy longwing with a flat welt and red lining. I expect this to be my go to black workweek shoe, should get mine on Monday or so

These look so great. Pls post some pix when you get them.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score
^^ Love those black LWB. My size is available, but I can't pull the trigger. I've made way too many purchases in the past couple months. Next run...

crosswound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
tifosi lies if a cigar and ravello showed up in the correct size ie 8d barrie you'd robocop with a quickness that your pants would fall down from the kickback.

BeSpiffington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

^^ Love those black LWB. My size is available, but I can't pull the trigger. I've made way too many purchases in the past couple months. Next run...
Tifosi, haven't you bought every available Alden shell make-up, grail or not, in the last six months?

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

Tifosi, haven't you bought every available Alden shell make-up, grail or not, in the last six months?

Haha! I wish, Be! Sometimes it feels like it, tho. In the past 6 months I have only bought/pre-ordered 5 shell Alden. One of them, fingers crossed, should be delivered tomorrow!

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

5 plus what you already have in one year?? :worship2: tifosi = favorite new member who joined in 2013

Don't get too excited, crosswound! I only had 1 shell Alden and 1 shell AE before I found this site. See what happens??? Let this be a lesson to someone who just stumbled upon this site!!! For further proof of this...I need to count the 3 shell MTO from AE. One delivered last week and 2 in process. Ugh!

BeSpiffington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah crosswound, don't get too excited. I've bought seven pair of shell dress shoes within the last year, so I'm not much better. Oh, and can you believe it I already had shoes to begin with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads