• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DuckOB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi I tried on my first pair of Aldens that had the crepe sole on them. They were very comfortable and is probably something I would consider however when walking on the hardwood floors I noticed a clicking/popping sound. I did some research and it seems to point to an issue with the shank?. They were a friends shoes. not much wear. I tried to isolate the noise by stepping down on a step and it seemed to make a noise. My friend said it was just the sound of the leather tip on the crepe sole. Do the leather tips really make this noise with every step? will it eventually go away? I'd really like a pair with the crepe sole but couldn't live with the clicking sound. Can the tip be removed without harming the integrity of the sole?

thanks for any thought or experience you can share.

thx

DuckOB

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
Hi I tried on my first pair of Aldens that had the crepe sole on them. They were very comfortable and is probably something I would consider however when walking on the hardwood floors I noticed a clicking/popping sound. I did some research and it seems to point to an issue with the shank?. They were a friends shoes. not much wear. I tried to isolate the noise by stepping down on a step and it seemed to make a noise. My friend said it was just the sound of the leather tip on the crepe sole. Do the leather tips really make this noise with every step? will it eventually go away? I'd really like a pair with the crepe sole but couldn't live with the clicking sound. Can the tip be removed without harming the integrity of the sole?

thanks for any thought or experience you can share.

thx

DuckOB

DuckOB,

It was explained to me that the leather front tip on the Alden Crepe Soles is actually a feature unique-ish to Alden. The point of the front leather tip is to avoid the front tip from being as "grippy" or "tacky" as the remainder of the sole and is intended to prevent unwanted tripping due to excessive grip in the front.

I would guess that a after market cobbler, such as B Nelson, could easily replace the sole for you, but I do not believe that Alden will provide you an entirely Crepe Sole. I avoid the Crepe Sole at all costs, so I can not attest to clanking, creaking, or popping sounds. They are supposed to be incredibly comfortable though.

-Mike

Last edited:

BeSpiffington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
mdubs, congratulations on your acquisition of the "King of the Gunboats". Great unboxing pics. Wear them in the best of health my friend.

wildstar

Reaction score
Damn! Got tricked by the shoe mart. Got the dreaded email. "Inventory error, we showed your item in stock, but it isn't" Oh well! Maybe next seconds list...
Bummer man, sorry to hear that, I know you've been looking, seemed like a good deal.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

Bummer man, sorry to hear that, I know you've been looking, seemed like a good deal.

Yea. Maybe next time. Maybe it's cause I'm supposed to be buying more shell...

matt92037

Reaction score
I get really excited when I buy an Alden shoe on a last I have never tried on and it ends up fitting really, really well. Though not Ravello from Alden DC, these #8's from Alden Madison will get the job done.

September may turn out to be a good shoe month if Leffot receives the pre-order for the Brown CXL plain toe boot.

DuckOB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks mdubs for the quick reply and some additional details as to the purpose of the leather tip. Excessive grip must mean falling flat on your face. Wearing straight crepe and texting could lead to some "funniest video" opportunities. Interested to hear if others have experienced the clicking noise. I was concerned it was a defective shank issue which a cobbler couldn't repair.

thanks again
Duck OB (Mike)

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score

I get really excited when I buy an Alden shoe on a last I have never tried on and it ends up fitting really, really well. Though not Ravello from Alden DC, these #8's from Alden Madison will get the job done. September may turn out to be a good shoe month if Leffot receives the pre-order for the Brown CXL plain toe boot.
Those are some awesome Shortwing Balmorals. I am deeply considering dropping my Color 8 AE Cambridges in favor of the Alden... -Mike

sazon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Came home to Color 8 Captoe boots on the Plaza from J. Gilbert. My 2nd pair in 3 months with the lucky Horween stamp. I heard if you get 3 in six months you get a free pair of Ravello LWBs.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score
Very cool. My tongues are green...

kwhitelaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
anyone familiar with which Alden store tends to get cigar in? talked with Kathy today and she said cigar LWB aren't in the pipeline for her..

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score

anyone familiar with which Alden store tends to get cigar in? talked with Kathy today and she said cigar LWB aren't in the pipeline for her.. 

I would try Alden SF, The Shoe Mart, or Frans Boone... SF doesnt seem to want to confirm anything for rare colors right now though... DC focuses on the Ravello for their rare LWB make ups right now...

-Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads