• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by interlockingny
They look MUCH better in person than they do on the J. Crew website.

What size did you order?

You got me dying on the wait right now! I lucked out. I was browsing the shoes on their site one night and instant message chat'd with an associate. She told me that my size (8) was extremely low in quantity and I should order soon to secure a pair. I thought "yeah right, sure".

The next morning I went to Barnes & Noble to pick up my usual magazines. This complex happens to have a J. Crew store nearby it so I walked over and ordered a pair via their red phone to save on shipping. I came home later that night and looked at the sizes again and size 8 was gone! I guess the lady wasn't lying after all, haha. Eventually size 9 and 9.5 were gone within a few days too.

One thing that they should improve on is the smaller sizes though...like in their cap toe boot and Indy's...the smallest size for those are 8.5. That means even if I wanted to, I wouldn't be able to get a pair because I wear an 8 in Trubalance and Barrie lasts.

joz411no

Reaction score
Originally Posted by wj4
You got me dying on the wait right now! I lucked out. I was browsing the shoes on their site one night and instant message chat'd with an associate. She told me that my size (8) was extremely low in quantity and I should order soon to secure a pair. I thought "yeah right, sure".

The next morning I went to Barnes & Noble to pick up my usual magazines. This complex happens to have a J. Crew store nearby it so I walked over and ordered a pair via their red phone to save on shipping. I came home later that night and looked at the sizes again and size 8 was gone! I guess the lady wasn't lying after all, haha. Eventually size 9 and 9.5 were gone within a few days too.

One thing that they should improve on is the smaller sizes though...like in their cap toe boot and Indy's...the smallest size for those are 8.5. That means even if I wanted to, I wouldn't be able to get a pair because I wear an 8 in Trubalance and Barrie lasts.

That's a half size off. I'd just pop some insoles in and let 'em roll. If you buy the right kind they can actually inhance the fit and feel of the shoe when you walk. Just a suggestion.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bill Smith
Sucks having a skinny foot in a D width world.

Preach it, brother.

Of course, my theory is that fewer people have an actual "D" width than who think they do. They've just been conditioned by the availability of "D" to accept it.

joz411no

Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlanC
Preach it, brother.

Of course, my theory is that fewer people have an actual "D" width than who think they do. They've just been conditioned by the availability of "D" to accept it.

Absolutely! Until I realized I could find wider shoes I'd buy them sizes larger (My Kenneth Cole days). When I look at those same ones I bought just to accommodate my width they look like clown shoes. It should have been embarrassing to wear them to say the least. Knowledge is power.

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lel
Perfection.

worship.gif

What model is that?

It's the Pitt Boot from Leather Soul Beverly Hills - Barrie Last. Looks better live, if you can believe it.
And to address another comment - when breaking in boots I don't lace them tightly esp. around the ankle.

interlockingny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlanC
Preach it, brother.

I agree 100%

I learned the hard way.

Dexter_

Reaction score
^Agree.

Its a good thing that stock Alden models are available in C widths. Make-ups and cigar/ravello/whiskey on the other hand... well that's what insoles are good for.

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dexter_
^Agree.

Its a good thing that stock Alden models are available in C widths. Make-ups and cigar/ravello/whiskey on the other hand... well that's what insoles are good for.

If you're a smaller size (7 or 7.5), C widths are only available by special order. You can't return the shoes, and there is no way to try on a fitting pair before you buy. It's very unfortunate.

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by joz411no
That's a half size off. I'd just pop some insoles in and let 'em roll. If you buy the right kind they can actually inhance the fit and feel of the shoe when you walk. Just a suggestion.
On the other hand, Leather Soul Beverly Hills is local to me...quite the devil's advocate, hehe.

Simplicio

Reaction score
Picking up on a previous theme, I thought I'd share that I too have had a minor quality issue with a newish pair of Alden boots. Some of the stitching on my NST boots has already started to come undone after fewer than 10 days (total) of wear. I'm sure it can be fixed easily enough, but it is disappointing. The good news is that Leather Soul has been great about it.

BTW, I do like these boots. They're very soft and were comfortable from the beginning.

L1000727.jpg

L1000725.jpg

TheWGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by forex
What last are these BB PTBs on? Are they Barrie?
http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatP...&sectionsize=#

Yeah, they're Barrie last. The main difference for the BB shell PTBs is the metal eyelets, IIRC. Certainly no fit difference in my experience. I have the Alden PTB's and the BB PTB's and don't really have any preference between them other than the colors.

Ahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mrUnicorn
my new jumpboot
got it off factory seconds from theshoemart
modified last in black calf

How do you likethe modified last? The first time I wore my boots on the modified last my arches hurt for the next 4 days. Now no problem but I am cautious.

I also noticed that these have the speed hooks and the LS ones do not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads