• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrDV

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow, those are sweet. Congratulations. Assuming they are calfskin, I'll bet a couple separate applications of neutral cream will gradually take them out.
thanks shawnc. yes calfskin, I am willing to try neutral cream.
nephew,
I would do the obvious-email alden's with your question and a picture
uncle, not so obvious, I had not considered asking the fellows at alden. thanks for the idea.
Personally, I think they look great as is. They have an awesome patina and the small stains/spots wouldn't bother me... though I do understand the appeal of the stains and patina being your own. If they were mine, I would just use a very small amount of water and a horse hair brush and buff until your arm feels like it's about to fall off. I am never one to use too much wax, paste, or cream. Sometimes, less is more.
mp, thanks for the positive spin. I also think they look fine, but fear they wouldn't get worn as often because of the stains. I would see myself choosing other similar-cleaner shoes when getting ready. I will use little water and brush. that's my next step.
Those old alpine cap toes are great. I wish more retailers would pull from the archives when coming up with new make-ups.
+1. that's what i'm thinking too.

Last edited:

Shiny

Reaction score

Called a pre-stitch reverse welt. Actually most of the plain toe and long wing double sole have them but sometimes tough to notice because the stitch blends in a bit more. 

Thanks. For some reason I thought it was a extra stitch to make the shoes more waterproof. Waterlock sole? Just learning more about these stitches and welting etc...

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

nephew,
I like tassels and thanks for sharing
wear in good health

Uncle,

Couldn't have done it without you. Thanks.

Those look great!  Do you have a before pic?  Perhaps from the Ebay listing?  Also show before/after pics of the tear.  What did your cobbler say that he could do to fix it?

If I had any idea that they would turn out this nice, I definitely would have taken 'before' pictures. It never occurred to me to do that. My cobbler is an immigrant and it can be difficult to understand him sometimes. But I trust him immensely and the only thing I understood from him was 'yeah, I can fix'. That was good enough for me.

Looks like a unique shell color, very nice shine. 

Thanks, but the color is cordovan. Maybe a little lighter than #8, probably along the lines of #6.

no problem, its been forgotten.
great work shawnc. i really like these kind of projects and success stories. please post the before pic when you get a chance.

Thanks MrDV. If I can figure out how to insert a link from the listing, I will certainly do that.

Last edited:

geoffmartin17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

11.5 Barrie v. 12 Leydon. Not the greatest comparison, but you get the idea.

Also, I do apologize for addressing that vid again, MrDV

Great looking gunboats

ironclad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gentlemen,
Good evening. Long time lurker and first time post here on the Official Alden Thread.

I bought my first pair of Aldens nearly 10 years ago. The classic Indy 405. I have worn them hundreds of times but babied them over the years because they were my first and only pair of Aldens. They still look nearly new, but with a nice aged color. They are also easily my most comfortable footwear. Last year, I started to get hooked on shell boots. My first pair was the #8 Epault Brixton with antique soul.

This past Friday I paid my first visit to The Shoe Mart. Wow, I was totally blown away by that place. I intended on buying black shell wingtip boots and I did. I wasn't expecting to see or buy any rare shell colors because of the "shortage" and the fact that I have average 9D feet on Barrie and Truebalance. But guess what? I also walked out of the store with Cigar Indys. The employee who helped me with my purchase (I don't remember his name) also said they had some varieties of shoe and boot styles available in Ravello and Color 4. Because I was well past my expected budget, I didn't ask what style or sizes they had. But he made it sound like some of those could be had.

I'm not here to stoke the rumor mill regarding exotic shell availability, and I probably should've asked him more questions, but I also wanted to let everybody know that he didn't even bat an eye when I asked about the Cigar Indy. He walked out of the showroom and emerged 30 seconds later with Cigar in size 9. Perhaps the Alden gods were shining down on me last Friday or perhaps it was just dumb luck. I'll post pics sometime soon after I figure out how to use this forum.

Thanks to all for your information and pictures shared on this forum. Amazing knowledge and even more amazing collections!

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

blue collar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

**cross post from the shoe care thread.** just bought these used aldens. any ideas on how to remove these stains? or a decent shoe cobbler in san diego? i already tried lexol, saphir renovator, kiwi wax. im considering alden restoration or b.nelson. thanks in advance for your advice.
You done good man! I love the pinking on the cap. I'd cop a pair of those at full retail if them made them again. Awesome :slayer:

Last edited:

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

Gentlemen,
Good evening. Long time lurker and first time post here on the Official Alden Thread.

I bought my first pair of Aldens nearly 10 years ago. The classic Indy 405. I have worn them hundreds of times but babied them over the years because they were my first and only pair of Aldens. They still look nearly new, but with a nice aged color. They are also easily my most comfortable footwear. Last year, I started to get hooked on shell boots. My first pair was the #8 Epault Brixton with antique soul.

This past Friday I paid my first visit to The Shoe Mart. Wow, I was totally blown away by that place. I intended on buying black shell wingtip boots and I did. I wasn't expecting to see or buy any rare shell colors because of the "shortage" and the fact that I have average 9D feet on Barrie and Truebalance. But guess what? I also walked out of the store with Cigar Indys. The employee who helped me with my purchase (I don't remember his name) also said they had some varieties of shoe and boot styles available in Ravello and Color 4. Because I was well past my expected budget, I didn't ask what style or sizes they had. But he made it sound like some of those could be had.

I'm not here to stoke the rumor mill regarding exotic shell availability, and I probably should've asked him more questions, but I also wanted to let everybody know that he didn't even bat an eye when I asked about the Cigar Indy. He walked out of the showroom and emerged 30 seconds later with Cigar in size 9. Perhaps the Alden gods were shining down on me last Friday or perhaps it was just dumb luck. I'll post pics sometime soon after I figure out how to use this forum.

Thanks to all for your information and pictures shared on this forum. Amazing knowledge and even more amazing collections!
Great pickup! Patiently awaiting pics!

sazon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Gentlemen,

I bought my first pair of Aldens nearly 10 years ago.  The classic Indy 405.  I have worn them hundreds of times but babied them over the years because they were my first and only pair of Aldens.  They still look nearly new, but with a nice aged color.  They are also easily my most comfortable footwear.  Last year, I started to get hooked on shell boots.  My first pair was the #8 Epault Brixton with antique soul. 

This past Friday I paid my first visit to The Shoe Mart.  Wow, I was totally blown away by that place.  I intended on buying black shell wingtip boots and I did.  I wasn't expecting to see or buy any rare shell colors because of the "shortage" and the fact that I have average 9D feet on Barrie and Truebalance.  But guess what?  I also walked out of the store with Cigar Indys.  The employee who helped me with my purchase (I don't remember his name) also said they had some varieties of shoe and boot styles available in Ravello and Color 4.  Because I was well past my expected budget, I didn't ask what style or sizes they had.  But he made it sound like some of those could be had.

I'm not here to stoke the rumor mill regarding exotic shell availability, and I probably should've asked him more questions, but I also wanted to let everybody know that he didn't even bat an eye when I asked about the Cigar Indy.  He walked out of the showroom and emerged 30 seconds later with Cigar in size 9.  Perhaps the Alden gods were shining down on me last Friday or perhaps it was just dumb luck.  I'll post pics sometime soon after I figure out how to use this forum.

Thanks to all for your information and pictures shared on this forum.  Amazing knowledge and even more amazing collections!

Congrats on the score! Pix please!

Now what was that you said about Ravello and Color 4??? TSM's phone is gonna be ringing off the hook today!

aldenwear

Reaction score
nephew,
thank you
I prefer the king
All hail to the King!

I don't know if Mac is my uncle -- many days it is all I can handle and then some to deal with the actual relatives I do have -- but Mac certainly is wise, and has good taste, as to his Aldens!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads