• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jvc44

Reaction score
Just like to complement Matt at epaulet for great customer service and care ! Really a pleasure to deal with ! Thanks Matt!

aldenwear

Reaction score
Lots of talk about fit lately - which, for a newcomer, must be utterly maddening.
biggrin.gif

Nothing beats try-on, and there is no doubt that individual preference plays a part, as do other variables (e.g., insoles, thickness of sock).

Moreover, a person can try on the exact same model in the exact same size and may like how one pair fits and not the other ....

I consider myself TTS US9.5D (and UK8.5E). I wear a thin insole (not ortho) in all my dress shoes (always have, always will; I like how it feels). I don't even know the brand of the insole because it is so old and just keeps on ticking. But I do not wear an insole in any of my loafers, as I find the fit to be better if I don't. So, with all of that said, my sizing usually shakes out as follows:

9C - Van (slip-on)
9D - barrie, tremont, trubalance, plaza (shoes)
9.5B - aberdeen (slip-on)**
9.5C - M-58 (like barrie), M-75 (like Plaza)
9.5D - aberdeen (lace), plaza (boots), grant, hampton, snap, leydon

** If I get a 9.5D in an aberdeen slip-on, my foot damn near comes out of the shoe with every stride given the amount of heep slippage. Even the C width has too much heel slippage for my liking.

But even the above is not without certain exceptions, as I have M-75 and aberdeen models in 10C, I have hampton and aberdeen models in 9D, I have a snap model in 9.5C, and a Barrie model in 9.5B.
amazing. A gold star -- and, obviously, well-fitting Aldens -- to you for perseverance.

green garden

Reaction score
Wait a minute! you want to talk foot discrimination? Many of the "famous" Alden dealers talked about on this forum don't stock above size 12. Many of the pre-orders stop at size 12. So "E" width might be an issue, but size 13 and above is a crisis!!!!!

I feel your pain!

See Ya,
Steve
Interesting I thought E was as popular as D. I wear a C width and I can't even get a #8 NST. I've been in pre-order purgatory for so long it feels like hell.

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Interesting I thought E was as popular as D.  I wear a C width and I can't even get a #8 NST.  I've been in pre-order purgatory for so long it feels like hell. 

E widths are becoming increasingly popular (Leffot has helped with this) but key retailers like Unionmade, Epaulet, Need Supply, etc only order D. The Alden branded stores generally do a good job with E widths, but sometimes they can't get enough shoes (the Alden NYC ravello PTBs are only available in D for preorder for example)

Burton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

nephew,
Aberdeen last works for me up going up one half size on my barrie last.. I do this both for loafers and tie shoes

I agree. I cannot where the shell slip ons as I have a very wide fore foot and narrow heel--the shell loafers create too much heel slip. A good rule of thumb is one half size longer for Aberdeen than Barrie.

itsmejson

Reaction score
I guys - I'm planning to make my first purchase into Alden.
I was unable to get the AE Snuff Suede Amok So I plan to
order a pair of the Snuff Suede Chukkas.

Does anyone have any advice for sizing?
- I've read that they run TTS and Narrow & that sizing up in
length and width is usually the way to go.

They only sizing I know is AE sizing, which I am usually
a 9.5E in strands & 10D in daltons. I'm know this might
be hard to give advice for sizing but if anyone has any
input I'd really appreciate it.

Thx

Gauss17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Assuming you are looking at the leydon last chukkas, they run fairly true to size, so I'll guess you are a 10D. However, what I would do is order both sizes, then keep the one you like best and return the other.

kwhitelaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
if I were to buy another pair, not only would they be TTS, but I'd probably attempt to go one width out

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I guys - I'm planning to make my first purchase into Alden. I was unable to get the AE Snuff Suede Amok So I plan to order a pair of the Snuff Suede Chukkas. Does anyone have any advice for sizing? - I've read that they run TTS and Narrow & that sizing up in length and width is usually the way to go. They only sizing I know is AE sizing, which I am usually a 9.5E in strands & 10D in daltons. I'm know this might be hard to give advice for sizing but if anyone has any input I'd really appreciate it. Thx
It seems there are 3 schools of thought on the Leydon last: 1. tts (say, 10D) 2. tts plus one width (10E) 3. tts plus half size in length (10.5D) If you get a 10D and 10E, I suspect one of them will be right.

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

if I were to buy another pair, not only would they be TTS, but I'd probably attempt to go one width out 

This is a good point. The Leydon last is the only last - of any maker (literally) - where, for me, the thought of going beyond D (or medium) width is even within the realm of possibility. Should I order another Leydon lasted shoe or boot - not terribly likely - my plan will be to order tts and tts plus one width (and possibly even tts plus 1/2 size). As I recall, Leffot, at least sometimes, when carrying Leydon lasted models, only stocks E widths - the theory being that an E width in Leydon is more or less equal to a D width in most other lasts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads