• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rydenfan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Anyone ordered shell from TSM lately?

If so, did you receive the no "creased vamps and marked outsoles" return policy card? The card even has example pictures.

For some this is welcome news. For others, the exact opposite. Definitely a change in policy for TSM though.
I received this recently from them even on a pair of Indy's in CXL I was trying. I certainly can understand it on their end though. Its hard to really fault them for this. They already have the best shipping poilicy and the largest selection of inventory around. I know on more than one occassion I ordered shoes from them that I did not intend to keep simply so I would know my correct sizing.

shaunw

Reaction score
Kind of ridiculous how all of the retailers keep saying that there will be no Ravello for the foreseeable future, and a few months later it starts raining Ravello.

I'm not complaining and I am glad to hear that it is popping up occasionally. I'm sure its not the retailers fault, they are probably just relaying what they are told by Alden, but the pattern is getting kind of old.
maybe it was a ploy to get more people interested in their #8 and black offerings.......
colgate.gif

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I received this recently from them even on a pair of Indy's in CXL I was trying. I certainly can understand it on their end though. Its hard to really fault them for this. They already have the best shipping poilicy and the largest selection of inventory around. I know on more than one occassion I ordered shoes from them that I did not intend to keep simply so I would know my correct sizing. 

Just to be clear, for the record, I do not fault them for this.

Last edited:

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In my few years of following Alden, "base models" in rare cordovan like PTBs, longwings, and chukkas seem to show up pretty regularly at many of the Alden retailers, at least once a year. As long as I have known them the guys at Alden NYC have complained about cordovan shortages... What does seem to be impacted are the more custom orders for boots and such in rare colors.

totalair1

Reaction score
maybe it was a ploy to get more people interested in their #8 and black offerings.......
colgate.gif
We can only hope that's partially true. The Alden DC guys told me that Alden is moving away from special colors due to difficulty in doing them. I would imagine that it's a big problem for Alden if Horween can't deliver shell, specially in rare colors. i see this is a real problem for Alden or any other manufacturer. You take orders, but can't deliver. Retailers want to wait for the special colors and have in many cases pre-sold orders, and collected payment. I keep hearing about 2 year and more waits from forum members, and still no firm delivery timeframe. I think it's FUBAR and I hope it gets better, but I'm not counting on it. A prime example is both known places getting Ravello this fall are getting 1 pair of 13D at 1 location. The other 1 pair of 12.5D and no 13. Both places say very few pair. They both told me of all kinds other non shell makes ups, and a few in #8 and black.

I feel it's possible for rare colors to come back, but I see it as a long wait, at least 12 months or more. Unless you are already in line for something, and then as already said many have waited over 2 years.

That's why i've spent a ton of dough scooping up anything I can find in my size in Cigar, Ravello, or Whiskey. I've done well on Cigar, and Whiskey, no Ravello though.

In the mean time, good luck and good hunting!

See Ya,
Steve

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

We can only hope that's partially true.  The Alden DC guys told me that Alden is moving away from special colors due to difficulty in doing them.  I would imagine that it's a big problem for Alden if Horween can't deliver shell, specially in rare colors.  i see this is a real problem for Alden or any other manufacturer.  You take orders, but can't deliver.  Retailers want to wait for the special colors and have in many cases pre-sold orders, and collected payment.  I keep hearing about 2 year and more waits from forum members, and still no firm delivery timeframe.  I think it's FUBAR and I hope it gets better, but I'm not counting on it.  A prime example is both known places getting Ravello this fall are getting 1 pair of 13D at 1 location.  The other 1 pair of 12.5D and no 13.  Both places say very few pair.  They both told me of all kinds other non shell makes ups, and a few in #8 and black.

I feel it's possible for rare colors to come back, but I see it as a long wait, at least 12 months or more.  Unless you are already in line for something, and then as already said many have waited over 2 years.  

That's why i've spent a ton of dough scooping up anything I can find in my size in Cigar, Ravello, or Whiskey.  I've done well on Cigar, and Whiskey, no Ravello though.

In the mean time, good luck and good hunting!

See Ya,
Steve

But take comfort in this: Color 8 is still the King. :slayer:

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Anyone ordered shell from TSM lately?

If so, did you receive the no "creased vamps and marked outsoles" return policy card? The card even has example pictures.

For some this is welcome news. For others, the exact opposite. Definitely a change in policy for TSM though.

I got that card with my whiskey LHS last week.
I could have sworn they've had that policy for a while though.

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I got that card with my whiskey LHS last week.
I could have sworn they've had that policy for a while though.

They didn't have it in mid-Feb 2013. Not sure when it was implemented after that ......

Hope the Whiskey LHS worked for you. It is my favorite LHS.

Beatlegeuse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A couple other people have mentioned this here before, but I still think it's weird that other makers are churning out smaller batches of rare cordovan colors on a regular basis. Carmina has been doing this with Epaulet for over a year now with no issues, and with prices that aren't much higher than Alden is charging. I'm starting to wonder if I could get my money back from all my Alden pre-orders, get something from another maker, and have it produced and shipped to me before any of the Alden pre-orders are actually finished.

The fact that the possibility of a 4-6 month wait for Ravello sounds almost too good to be true is kind of ridiculous, considering group MTO's from Carmina rarely take that long from start to finish.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads