• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnniegold

Reaction score
This is my first post in this fantastic thread. I am in awe of the pics of the Aldens that you gentlemen have posted here. I am also grateful for the tremendous amount of information contained in this thread. It is extremely helpful. Finally, I hold you all in high regard. :)

I have a very modest "collection" of Aldens. They are somewhat conservative as I wear them to work most days. I will dip my toe in the shoe Appreciation pool with a pair of Mahogany Cordovan Straight Tip Bluchers which I purchased from Jim at Alden SF many moons ago. Recently, they received the full restoration treatment from Alden.

I love the two-tone coloration on the inside of the right shoe. I am not sure if you can distinguish it with my horrible iphone shot.

WiredandTired

Reaction score
Just because something made in China doesn't mean it's necessarily of poor quality. They will manufacture with the materials and methods they decide upon, and it may be good or it may be ****.

However, companies manufacture in China when production cost is one of their primary concerns, and it all depends on whether or not that same mentality affects the production quality or not.

Like many other trades, China will only get better with time in manufacturing goodyear welted shoes. I've been considering meermin shoes, the bang for the buck is there. I think it really does depend on your level of tolerance for defects whether it will work for you.

There are more variables to deal with if they don't work out for you. There are no local retailers, you are dealing with a company outside of the country, you may or may not deal with customs charges, you incur a fair amount in shipping charges to and from the retailer, and I've read their processing times for orders or returns is hit or miss. It's a personal thing if you'd rather pay a few hundred more to have the convenience of dealing with a relatively local dealer, or to guarantee a higher level of craftsmanship.

I do like their new single monkstraps though. It's the most accessible price for that style. I'm tempted to take the gamble on them.

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yes and that there's a modicum of respect paid to labor. Also important to me are the environmental conditions of manufacture that may contaminate the final peoduct. Probably not critical for shoes, but very important for many other items.

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Is the modified last going to be very wide for someone who has narrow feet?

I wear orthotics, and was wondering if my legs will be swimming in the modified last?

Opinions appreciated.

No. The Modified last is available in a range of widths. I have a narrow foot and the Modified last offers me the best fit of any Alden.

gsgleason

Reaction score
I need a light shoe. I'm considering either the whiskey shell longwing or the natural CXL long wing by Epaulet.

Any advice?

CalceoAdamator

Reaction score
Originally Posted by alladin

Is the modified last going to be very wide for someone who has narrow feet?

I wear orthotics, and was wondering if my legs will be swimming in the modified last?

Opinions appreciated.

No. The Modified last is available in a range of widths. I have a narrow foot and the Modified last offers me the best fit of any Alden.

I wear a D width, although not narrow, I find that last to be one of the most comfortable for me...

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

How many wears do you have on those boots? Look brand new? Really like them though.

The conservation boot is still my favorite.

I've worn these a ton...one treatment of Saphir Reno. How come you're selling them PhiPsi? I love these so much and am still a little bummed I didn't jump on the black ones (they're long sold out in my size...hands down the most comfortable footwear I own, and I don't dislike the wedge sole like a lot of guys do, I love it!

Not sure how I feel about NYR's statement about Meermin - what makes you have the hunch that it's Made in China?

Cost is one reason to suspect it...but I know.

Just because something made in China doesn't mean it's necessarily of poor quality. They will manufacture with the materials and methods they decide upon, and it may be good or it may be ****.

However, companies manufacture in China when production cost is one of their primary concerns, and it all depends on whether or not that same mentality affects the production quality or not.

I agree with this 100%, but my objections are more to do with the statements below. I don't have a problem buying non-US goods, but they have to be treating their workers and the environment properly, and we all have read how Chinese labor issues and environmental issues are ruining the planet and its people. My father in law used to travel to China all the time as a Hearts Mountain exec (Pet Company) and the stories he told me about the factories, workers and environmental issues made my blood boil. I will always try and find a US made option before I look overseas, and as long as quality and aestheic is comparable, I'll always go US made.

I think a substantial portion of NYI's objection is ethical. I can agree with him on that point.

Same here. Buying true US made has become important to me. I want desperately to believe in my country and its craftsman

Yes and that there's a modicum of respect paid to labor. Also important to me are the environmental conditions of manufacture that may contaminate the final peoduct. Probably not critical for shoes, but very important for many other items.

The Deacon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have not seen the cxl in person but I'm impressed by the photos here on the forum thread. In regard to the Whiskey Longwing, I was ambivalent feeling it would not be practical. I went to the shoemart last month searching for cigar shell and a whiskey longwing second was available. I fell head over heels and bought them.
I have had no regrets and find that they work well with my wardrobe and are gorgeous. Tough decision, two great shoe choices.

Ahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I need a light shoe. I'm considering either the whiskey shell longwing or the natural CXL long wing by Epaulet.

Any advice?

Both great shoes. The whiskey will be dressier.

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Can anybody recommend a good conditioner for my black alden LWB in calf skin. I tried a little venetian shoe cream but didn't do anything. I know Reno is highly recommend here, but what is the next tier down as its hard for me to get that stuff where I am. Thanks in advance.

Alden boot cream in black or neutral.

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
RTP: An awful lot if the reviews i read on the discontinued amoks complained about the shoe squeaking. ae's stock response was that this was caused by the interface of oiled leather sole and suede . i would guess the new vibrams are intended as a fix but i agree i dont like the makeup as much
Thanks for the info. I am saving up for the next rare shell find, so I will pass on the Amok.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads