• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beatlegeuse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've tried the Leydon lasted chukka (suede).  It is an excellent make up. I just happen to like the barrie last better.  FYI, if anyone is looking for a cheaper option, on a suede chukka, the AE Amok has a very similar feel and fit compared to the Leydon suede chukka. Not sure that AE still has this particular model in stock though.

I tried the Amok once at an AE outlet, and for whatever reason the shoe just didn't fit my foot quite right. It was too tight in the toes, but too wide in the heel. If it fit, I easily would have picked that over Alden's chukka and saved myself a ton of money. But in the end, I'm really happy with my tan chukkas, and I already had a pair in snuff as well.

There's a lot of talk about completing a shell LWB rainbow, but for myself I'd love a suede chukka rainbow......still need dark brown and navy.

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote: They were last year's stock. AE has another suede chukka this season but it is a longwing and has a red vibram sole...
http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF7034_1_40000000001_-1

Not sure I like this makeup. BTW, great economical score Mediahound! I had the opportunity to pick up that exact amok for about the same price last year (fall), but opted for the Alden suede PTB. Amazon has my size in the tan and the snuff... tempted.
biggrin.gif

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I tried the Amok once at an AE outlet, and for whatever reason the shoe just didn't fit my foot quite right. It was too tight in the toes, but too wide in the heel. If it fit, I easily would have picked that over Alden's chukka and saved myself a ton of money. But in the end, I'm really happy with my tan chukkas, and I already had a pair in snuff as well.

There's a lot of talk about completing a shell LWB rainbow, but for myself I'd love a suede chukka rainbow......still need dark brown and navy.
If ever a doubt with fit and comfort, I'd always go with spending more to get it right. Somehow, this is always how an AE decision plays itself out for me. The shoe looks good, but the fit and comfort just isn't good enough to go with the cheaper price. The Amok did feel pretty good to me though, but I preferred the PTB to the chukka in suede; no such PTB in suede from AE.

Last edited:

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I could see Frank rocking these, but they aren't his size.  (Creepy that I know that)

We discussed this, and I have these already. :) Or close enough anyway. I'll post a photo when they get their first outing of the spring.

And we could probably play a game where everyone has to see if they can remember what size a certain thread participant is. There'd be extra points if you could recite the multiple variations: "Well, he's a 6.5C in Barrie, but a 7AAA in Aberdeen and Hampton and TTS in Grant." Or similar.

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I ordered the AE Snuff Suede Chukka earlier this week from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006WDMX7C/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B006WDMX7C&linkCode=as2&tag=tt-20
ir
I had been watching it for a while and my size happened to come in stock so I jumped on it. For under $200., I thought it was a good deal compared to Alden which is $480. I've heard it is very similar, while the Alden one is a bit more comfortable and certainly a bit higher quality, it may not be worth over 2x the price. They are no longer available from Allen Edmonds (not sure why) so may be a good time to grab a pair.
mediahound : thanks for the link and tip. i just picked up the last pair in my size (first color choice too) ive been prowling the web off and on all day not quite able to justify the $480 for aldens . im not that sure i like suede or chukkas that much . im more of a shell boot kinda guy but this accursed thread got me jonesing for suede chukkas. i had a pair of ae at one time on the same last that fit well so i should be ok there

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

They were last year's stock.  AE has another suede chukka this season but it is a longwing and has a red vibram sole...
http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF7034_1_40000000001_-1

Not sure I like this makeup.  BTW, great economical score Mediahound!  I had the opportunity to pick up that exact amok for about the same price last year (fall), but opted for the Alden suede PTB.  Amazon has my size in the tan and the snuff... tempted. :D

RTP: An awful lot if the reviews i read on the discontinued amoks complained about the shoe squeaking. ae's stock response was that this was caused by the interface of oiled leather sole and suede . i would guess the new vibrams are intended as a fix but i agree i dont like the makeup as much

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Will shell stretch a bit with time? I'm between a 8.5 and a 9 on the Braddock and currently wear a 9D in Barrie. I tried on an 8.5 and had no issues getting my foot in with thick socks, but there was a bit of toe cramp, but not enough to make it uncomfortable. Will shell cordovan stretch a bit after many wears?

What time were you trying on shoes? If late afternoon you may be ale to get away with toe cramp once footbe settles in. If its a boot though I'd go larger size for sure

Hill

Reaction score
Are you guys treating your suede with anything when they're new?

Edit: I've heard good things about the Allen Edmonds protector but Ed at Shoe Mart said there's no need. Just wondering IF I need to treat them out of the box, and if so, will it affect the softness of the suede.

Last edited:

balmoralsoccer

Reaction score
Will shell stretch a bit with time? I'm between a 8.5 and a 9 on the Braddock and currently wear a 9D in Barrie. I tried on an 8.5 and had no issues getting my foot in with thick socks, but there was a bit of toe cramp, but not enough to make it uncomfortable. Will shell cordovan stretch a bit after many wears?

i am pretty sure shell stretches/conforms to my feet as the shoes are broken in (and the insole compresses slightly, which also opens up the shoe). still, as bakes said, a cramped toebox is unlikely to improve drastically. i believe that most shoes will ultimately conform to your feet, but how fast that happens is a function of your pain tolerance, and some shoes may never fit you truly well within a reasonable amount of time.

100 yrs

Reaction score

Aren't the PTBs on the barrie last?  I really like Alden's shortwing blucher, but I'm not really sure what I think of the plaza last (J.Gilbert's) for that particular makeup.

no, the ptb makeup from NRO is on the leydon, which is why i ordered it. i tried the standard suede ptb on the barrie and the heel was too wide for my comfort.

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Gave in & snagged the navy suede PTBs from needsupply.
Already have a pair of dark brown chukkas, so would like another color for variety.
They'll look just so killer with light chinos.
Also, I'll need to pick up laces... like the way Unionmade pictured them. Only difference is the laces.

Looks familiar . . .

41dea92c_IMG_1036.jpeg

Olifter

Reaction score

I do not need another pair of blue suede shoes.
I gotta remember that.

Of course not. But, what do you want?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads