• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Got the black fleece chukkas today, grain on one shoe is almost gone is this from sun wear or from creasing? Not really noticeable when wearing but a bit curious. Posting from mobile so click to enlarge

Also find this pair (10.5d) to fit tighter than my shell lwb which is a 10d fwiw

Funny. I got a pair of those today too. Same size. They've got a similar variation in grain.
I've got a pair of grain Tricker's which are that way too. My BBBF black grain LWBs are pretty uniform though.

Sizing on these chukkas feel pretty much the same as my other Barrie chukkas.

They feel like they've been sitting on some shelf since Autumn 2007.

creacher

Reaction score

Is Unionmade the only retailer with this makeup? I already sent an email in to them, but if I can pick the size on their site does that mean it is in stock and available? Anyone have experience with them? Dumb question, probably.

Late to the party here but yes, only Unionmade has this exact combo with the neocork. I have and love these boots, bought them around this time last year and only now have they restocked. Fit/feel exactly like Indy's and I usually alternate between these and 403's in the winter. Here's mine after applying some pitch blend.

An unrelated note: picked these up from Sid Mashburn last weekend. First Ravello shoes for me and last size in stock (other than a 9.5D on display).
Can anyone identify the last? Appears to be Aberdeen but was told it was "custom" in store.

izach

Reaction score
I'm not sure how much experience you have with manufacturing. Expansion isn't an easy thing. Alden isn't expanding, they are just taking advantage of their capability to hold the market by the .... Why expand when customer are willing (in these days of age) to wait 10+ weeks for horse hide light brown delivery.

jkater1

Reaction score

for those who have the pleasure of wearing this suede tassel:

1. Doe they look funny with socks? Do you wear them with chinos/jeans/slacks?

2. Copley last run TTS?

Copley runs TTS for me, was the best fitting last right out of the box for me, 1/2 size down barrie is just behind it for me. I wish more shoes were made on it.

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
An unrelated note: picked these up from Sid Mashburn last weekend. First Ravello shoes for me and last size in stock (other than a 9.5D on display).
Can anyone identify the last? Appears to be Aberdeen but was told it was "custom" in store.

Can't really tell without a shot from directly above or below. If they fit TTS, they may be Aberdeen. Otherwise I'd say it's barrie. I like this PTB without the 360 storm welt. Looks similar to the BB PTB except for the eyelets. Congrats on a wonderful pick up... wear in great health!

CalceoAdamator

Reaction score

I'm not sure how much experience you have with manufacturing. Expansion isn't an easy thing. Alden isn't expanding, they are just taking advantage of their capability to hold the market by the .... Why expand when customer are willing (in these days of age) to wait 10+ weeks for horse hide light brown delivery.

10+ weeks? More like 10+ months (and that would be good)... LOL... Supply and demand management... Keep them hungry for the product...

Resistant

Reaction score
Quote:
So the marlow size 8.5 is very much an Alden Hampton last - which is narrower than Barrie with a similar toe box that is just a bit trimmer on each side. Since they are bluchers the top arch gets extra room and that arch is just as tight as my Hampton last balmoral cap toes when first out of the box. The length along the bottom soul 1/8 longer than a size 8 Barrie balmoral and width is a hard call soul to soul. One shoe is a bit tighter and mostly along the top arch just behind the pinky toe, that area is easy to stretch and stretches the most during break-in. When tied it looks to have a perfect spacing between flaps. I may call these TTS so up size from Barrie if you have Hampton that last is closest but the marlow may also be close to Tremont as far as width along the outer arch and also they feel flat for now, I like the fit on the ankle and instep and expext the outer mid area to loosen nicely after two wears out in the field.
So as an 8E Barrie I went 8.5D Marlow. I get Aldens for the ability they had to custom fit. So the Marlow toe box leaves just enough room any tighter and I would never wear them as I prefer the room with out sacrificing to wrong length. Still these are less tight than another pair I had out of the box in my true Alden size on that last and those now feel big somedays. Bought these by mail with fit recommendation from this thread and people here are pros or very experienced so thanks to you SF gurus.
Quote:

Last edited:

gsgleason

Reaction score
Here is an example of cigar shell on Hampton last with natural edge trim double soul. Not a bad impersonation and on sale, so I popped to hold me over until my pre-order ships. Life only feels normal with an Alden pre-order to wait for. I could survive waiting for unicorn cap boots, just get ten other pair while I wait and wait...
is that the marlow? how does it fit compared to barrie last?
It fits more true to size, narrower and shorter than barrie.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score
Is Unionmade the only retailer with this makeup? I already sent an email in to them, but if I can pick the size on their site does that mean it is in stock and available? Anyone have experience with them? Dumb question, probably.

Late to the party here but yes, only Unionmade has this exact combo with the neocork. I have and love these boots, bought them around this time last year and only now have they restocked. Fit/feel exactly like Indy's and I usually alternate between these and 403's in the winter. Here's mine after applying some pitch blend.

Thanks for the info. So it sounds like I should jump on them if they have my size in stock? I would like them for this Fall. I'd hate to have to wait till next year.

gsgleason

Reaction score

Here is an example of cigar shell on Hampton last with natural edge trim double soul. Not a bad impersonation and on sale, so I popped to hold me over until my pre-order ships. Life only feels normal with an Alden pre-order to wait for. I could survive waiting for unicorn cap boots, just get ten other pair while I wait and wait...
Hey Resistant, do your new Marlows have an issue where the heel plane doesn't align with the sole? Meaning, if you hold the heel against a flat surface, are the soles elevated? I just got mine today and sent them back for replacements because of that. It was putting a lot of pressure at the front of the heel.

mediahound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey Resistant, do your new Marlows have an issue where the heel plane doesn't align with the sole? Meaning, if you hold the heel against a flat surface, are the soles elevated? I just got mine today and sent them back for replacements because of that. It was putting a lot of pressure at the front of the heel.

Mine do that to a small degree. I've never noticed it while wearing them however do notice the front part of the heel has more wear. I expect it will even out as the heel wears down more over time and the soles loosen up.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads