• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fortune Cookies, Hello Kitty, The Chinese Calendar...

...We're Doomed!

Ha! Even your list of 3 things is generous! Contrary to popular belief, fortune cookies are not Chinese. They originated in the United States, and most Chinese people arent' even familiar with them. Hello Kitty is Japanese... Yes I have a 3 year old daughter.

EDIT: Apparently they originated in Japan but were popularized in the United States by Japanese immigrants. Either way, they are far more American than Chinese.

Last edited:

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I blame 'Jermyn Street' for this one. He is completely responsible!

...Thank you!

I tried these on Monday before buying them yesterday. They are a little darker shade of Cigar, which adds to their formality. Will wear these with blue suits. The only problem is, I don't wear suits anymore. The whole way to Citishoes I was telling myself "I Shouldn't be doing this" and "I really don't even want these shoes, I'll hardly ever wear them", but alas, I am powerless over my addiction.

It was nice chatting with Voltaire. He was very interested in how I found out about this exclusive make up (black edge trim versus the 90730's antique) from this thread. I told him he should check us out and share some pics.

drool.gif
Not much else needs to be said.

mediahound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm convinced this song is about acquiring, polishing and wearing Whiskey Shell Cordovan -

He even gets caught wearing them out in the rain and worries about it.

What? You don't see the world through Alden-colored glasses like me?

Last edited:

Don L

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Natty CXL Brixtons today

Last edited:

phorm

Reaction score

I blame 'Jermyn Street' for this one. He is completely responsible! ...Thank you!
I tried these on Monday before buying them yesterday. They are a little darker shade of Cigar, which adds to their formality. Will wear these with blue suits. The only problem is, I don't wear suits anymore. The whole way to Citishoes I was telling myself "I Shouldn't be doing this" and "I really don't even want these shoes, I'll hardly ever wear them", but alas, I am powerless over my addiction. It was nice chatting with Voltaire. He was very interested in how I found out about this exclusive make up (black edge trim versus the 90730's antique) from this thread. I told him he should check us out and share some pics.
You make me want to walk over to Citishoes on my lunch break. It's been done before, but I must resist.

gsgleason

Reaction score
I recently got some #8 shell Indy boots with commando sole from the shoe mart.

The commando sole is separating from the leather portion between the stitching and the edge.

Is this expected? Should I be concerned? Should I get some adhesive to attach them?

mediahound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The commando sole is separating from the leather portion between the stitching and the edge.

Is this expected? Should I be concerned? Should I get some adhesive to attach them?
Not expected. I think the commando sole is largely glued on, which is a negative with it. I'd probably take it to a local good cobbler, who should be able to glue it back for you nicely.

Bakes11771

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ha! Even your list of 3 things is generous! Contrary to popular belief, fortune cookies are not Chinese. They originated in the United States, and most Chinese people arent' even familiar with them. Hello Kitty is Japanese... Yes I have a 3 year old daughter.

EDIT: Apparently they originated in Japan but were popularized in the United States by Japanese immigrants. Either way, they are far more American than Chinese.
Ok, Phew. That makes me a little bit more hopeful about our future.

The fortune cookies was what really what scared me. You have to be pretty insightful to know not only what the fortune of someone you never met will be, but also what cookie you need to put it in for them to get it.
drool.gif
Not much else needs to be said.
Thank you, Sir
Is there a chance that an 8D cordovan full strap (684) could fit me? I found a "last pair" for a decent price that is available to me online. For reference, my current collection includes the following:

Barrie last in 8D (975) - excellent fit with dress socks
Hampton last in 8.5D (9016) - requires tongue pad for improved fit

On that note, I'll soon be posting a pair 8D Officer's Indy once I'm able to take some good pics. In the Trubalance last, I surmise that a 7.5E would be a much better fit.

There IS a chance.

I'm 9C Barrie, 9D Aberdeen/Hampton

So the fact that the 8.5D Hampton is a little sloppy leaves hope that 8D Aberdeen will work for you.

Many say same size for Aberdeen and Hampton, which is true for me, however, I find the Aberdeen to be less roomy all around. (So 8.5 Aberdeen might be right for you if 8.5D Hampton fits, but is a little sloppy)

From what I understand, Aberdeen is very hit or miss for people, but probably my best fitting last. (At least that I've tried)

The real question is: Are you sick enough to roll the dice on this pair and hope for the best?

You make me want to walk over to Citishoes on my lunch break. It's been done before, but I must resist.

If you're lucky, they won't have your size, and you shall be spared.

Last edited:

bespoken pa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The commando sole is separating from the leather portion between the

stitching and the edge.

It certainly shouldn't be expected. I would likely return them on principal, like mediahound stated it should be easily remedied. However, the fact that someone would have to put money into a brand new pair of $700 shoes/boots is ridiculous.

Bakes11771

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It certainly shouldn't be expected. I would likely return them on principal, like mediahound stated it should be easily remedied. However, the fact that someone would have to put money into a brand new pair of $700 shoes/boots is ridiculous.
Maybe if he contacts Alden they will repair?

Since it is a manufacturing defect?

...or maybe they will just 'spit in his face'?

mediahound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe if he contacts Alden they will repair?

Since it is a manufacturing defect?

...or maybe they will just 'spit in his face'?

Alden will repair it for free if they are new and you have proof of purchase, but you have to pay to ship it to them and it can take like 14 days. The reason I mentioned that I'd just take it to a local cobbler is that it would be quicker and more convenient for something simple like that. Probably he/she would charge you under $10 and do it in a few minutes on the spot.

Last edited:

Bakes11771

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alden will repair it for free if they are new and you have proof of purchase, but you have to pay to ship it to them and it can take like 14 days. The reason I mentioned that I'd just take it to a local cobbler is that it would be quicker and more convenient for something simple like that. Probably he/she would charge you under $10 and do it in a few minutes on the spot.
Agreed.

But if he wants it to be a matter of principle like someone suggested.

gsgleason

Reaction score
I called Alden and left a message. I have never received an email reply from them, so hopefully voice mail is more effective.

[edit]

That was fast! Karen with Alden called me back and said that she would like me to contact The Shoe Mart to see how they would like to handle the repair. The shoe mart has excellent customer service, so I have no doubt that it would go smoothly.

However, this seems like a relatively minor, simple repair that any cobbler can do. I think I will call TSM and discuss the matter and bring up using a local shop.

I would hate to be without my beloved boots for any amount of time.

Last edited:

JermynStreet

Reaction score

I don't want to get too far off thread, but since this came up, I'll pose a question I have put out to people for years:

After gunpowder and Confucianism, can you name any idea, invention, or product--mechanical, scientific, cultural or otherwise--that has come out of China?  It's an increasingly industrious country of over a billion people and I know of one Chinese brand (Huawei, but the Western World has serious security concerns about their network hardware).  It is for this reason that China will never surpass the U.S.--it's impossible to lead without original ideas.

OK--back to window shopping the Unionmade site...

Not a huge fan of Chinese IP practices, but I would advise you to look at this week's Economist, discussing the power of Alibaba.

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Not a huge fan of Chinese IP practices, but I would advise you to look at this week's Economist, discussing the power of Alibaba.

Great article

And not to digress from this thread but there is some heavy American media bias with some comments made here, part of the reason why I usually only read FT and economist these days

Edit: and economist talked about huawei and the other competitors and risks Maybe 6 months ago or so, was a pretty good read as well

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads