• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bespoken pa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think it depends. I have a couple pairs of seconds and the Circle R is on the sole for one (Normal) and it is on the inside for the other because it has crepe soles.
This one is harder to see but it is there over the text near the heel.
As far as I know there is one place to get Alden Seconds, The Shoe Mart. Alden of Carmel has some listed from time to time but I am not sure what that means. I think that Adam just has high standards and does his in house if something is not right when he looks at them.
I wonder however if TSM still receives all of Aldens seconds? I would think that make ups for specific manufactures may not be available tl them.

mediahound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wonder however if TSM still receives all of Aldens seconds? I would think that make ups for specific manufactures may not be available tl them.
I certainly haven't received a seconds email from them in quite some time, like a few months at least.

Ahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I believe they do. I am 100% CERTAIN I have seen makeups from other distributors from them.

Last edited:

shaunw

Reaction score
I believe they do. I am 100% CERTAIN I have seen makeups from other distributors from them.
TSM does get all the seconds that come from the alden factory. The ones listed at Alden of Carmel are the shoes that they screened themselves and rejected as being 1st quality.

As a general FYI I have been in contact with TSM about their seconds list their email response is below:

3/21/13

Hello,
I do apologize but the list was not sent out as I had believed it would be. The irregular list still has some inventory errors that we are correcting before it will be sent out again. Unfortunately right now I am not sure when it will be sent out again.
Thank you,

bespoken pa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

TSM does get all the seconds that come from the alden factory. The ones listed at Alden of Carmel are the shoes that they screened themselves and rejected as being 1st quality.
As a general FYI I have been in contact with TSM about their seconds
list their email response is below:
[SIZE=12pt]3/21/13[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]Hello,
I do apologize but the list was not sent out as I had believed it would be. The irregular list still has some inventory errors that we are

correcting before it will be sent out again. Unfortunately right now I am not sure when it will be sent out again.

Thank you,[/SIZE]

So AOC's is essentially doing Aldens job by protecting the consumer. It really is disheartening that Alden's attitude seems to be "hey, they will buy it anyway so what does it matter". I find it noble that AOC would pay full price for the shoes, mark them down and eat the difference in an effort to please the customer. It certainly says a lot for them.

JermynStreet

Reaction score
Nice looking J Crew Saddles. It got me thinking of a weird question: why is only calf used for suede? What would shell/ostrich/other skin look like for suede? Anyone have any ideas on this?

Don L

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice looking J Crew Saddles. It got me thinking of a weird question: why is only calf used for suede? What would shell/ostrich/other skin look like for suede? Anyone have any ideas on this?
You might say Adam at AOC has higher standards than Alden's own QC which also explains his return policies.

Ahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So AOC's is essentially doing Aldens job by protecting the consumer. It really is disheartening that Alden's attitude seems to be "hey, they will buy it anyway so what does it matter". I find it noble that AOC would pay full price for the shoes, mark them down and eat the difference in an effort to please the customer. It certainly says a lot for them.

Alden of Carmel is a top notch operation.

Bakes11771

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not a leather expert by any means, but suede is the "flesh side" (inward facing side of the hide) that is brushed to have that suede nap. Maybe cow hide is the only or best material for this process? or maybe other hides produce the same result, but are not as cheap or widely available as cow hides, due to the beef industry.

Just speculating.

Edit: I think they also can use goat skin for suede, if I am not mistaken.

Last edited:

JermynStreet

Reaction score
it's shoes.

it goes on your feet.

lamb suede wouldn't last very long.
Maybe DWF would know about this? I'll message him and ask him.

Last edited:

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

you're welcome. but beware, my wife always thought i had several brown wingtip shoes, she's now calling them the orange pair, the purple pair...
thank you sir
thank you uncle roguls
i wore the whiskeys with the pictured blue laces last night, i really liked the look.
i will be experimenting with the dark purple this week, i'll post pics if they make it out of the house.

my wife embarrassed me once over my red shoe laces so even though she now likes them i refuse to wear them out of defiance
but i like them too. aint disfunctional relationships great!

shaunw

Reaction score
I agree it's kind of sad, but as I understand it you are correct........AOC performs his own QC. That being said his "irregulars" are priced lower that full price but not to the extent that TSM marks them down. I'd say he is still making a decent profit with his irregulars.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads