• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm hooked on white bucks now and Alden has some spectacular ones IMO. Since the ones I'm looking at are on the 'Barrie' last, is the general consensus to size down half a size? Does anybody have a 7.5D or 8D on the Barrie that could give me the inside and outside sole measurements? It would be greatly appreciated.

I'm an 8.5D in Brooks running shoes and an 8D in Quoddy if that's any help to you guys. I'm thinking about going with the 7.5D.

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can give you the outside measurements of a 7.5D Barrie lasted chukka tomorrow. I'll do my best with the inside but it's not going to be precise.

dmash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Joenobody0
I can give you the outside measurements of a 7.5D Barrie lasted chukka tomorrow. I'll do my best with the inside but it's not going to be precise.

Yes, I understand it's sort of hard. I would GREATLY appreciate it man. I'm almost POSITIVE the 7.5D is going to fit me length wise....it's just I'm not sure about the width. Isn't the Barrie supposed to be pretty roomy width wise too though?

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's very roomy. Especially in the heel (too much so in my opinion).

Ahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dmash1080
Do you guys think that Blackbird's short wing blucher (1st pic) would go well with raw denim? or do you think something like the whiskey Epaulet had (2nd pic) would work better? or do you feel that Aldens are a bit formal looking and I should look elsewhere for a wingtip to go with jeans? If so, any recommendations that are on par with Alden quality wise?

Yes, I think the BlackBird's would go great with raw denim. The Whiskey is more of a band aid color and I think may not be as nice.

Another option would be the Ralph Lauren Darlton Wingtip. It is shell and can be had for around $400 on sale. I do not like the fit as much as my Alden's but it goes great with raw denim and the quality is good. I wear them as my beater shoes.

Ahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm hooked on white bucks now and Alden has some spectacular ones IMO. Since the ones I'm looking at are on the 'Barrie' last, is the general consensus to size down half a size? Does anybody have a 7.5D or 8D on the Barrie that could give me the inside and outside sole measurements? It would be greatly appreciated.

I'm an 8.5D in Brooks running shoes and an 8D in Quoddy if that's any help to you guys. I'm thinking about going with the 7.5D.

Love my white bucks! But be careful, they are not as versatile as dark brown.

dmash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ahab
Love my white bucks! But be careful, they are not as versatile as dark brown.

Yeah absolutely, I'm going to be wearing khaki and seersucker shorts a lot through the summer though....so I was thinking about pairing the Alden white bucks and my brown Quoddys with those looks. Then as fall approaches, pick up some type of brown Alden longwing in the to go with raw denim and trousers.

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
nyz8ub.jpg

whiskey indy boots

Roguls

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a random question about Alden:

What are all of the sole edge options, specifically for leather soles? The new Pitt boot from LSH says "antique," which looks amazing. I'd like to know if I ever raise the temerity to do a MTO...

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, I understand it's sort of hard. I would GREATLY appreciate it man. I'm almost POSITIVE the 7.5D is going to fit me length wise....it's just I'm not sure about the width. Isn't the Barrie supposed to be pretty roomy width wise too though?

Hello,

Here are your measurements:

Barrie last 7.5 D in Shell (this makes a difference in overall volume but probably not interior length)
Outside sole length: 12 inches
Outside sole heel width: 3.5 inches (this is a 360 degree welt so you need to subtract the sole overhang)
Outside sole toe box width: 4.44 inches
Outside sole toe box width between the stitches: 3.8 inches (this seems like a good proxy for the interior toe box width)
Interior length: 10.375 (this was hard to measure so you might need to add a little bit to get the actual length)

I hope that helps.

Kevk

Reaction score
Received the same email. Not valid on Aldens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads