• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

docalden2013

Reaction score
Thank you for the prompt replies to the whiskey lhs-related questions I feared were more about my neurosis than about natural variations in Alden's manufacturing process. I will now sleep soundly tonight knowing that I am not losing an opportunity for whiskey, but instead gaining a versatile cigar shell that I will have the luxury of trying on in two different widths. I really thought I was going nuts for a second there, but as I look at the pics again, it sure looks like that left shoe is a 9.5 indeed.

Hopefully, all's well that ends well. Will send pics once the decision is made.

Btw, should I invest in dark brown cordovan creme for the cigar LHSs?

esoxm

Reaction score

Formality, like beauty, is often in the eye of the beholder, but if I didn't already own the creamery boot for most of my black shoe needs I would find the Leffot Naval Boot a great choice for that one pair of black shell.

Looking forward to these being my first pair of black shell- found out this morning that my wife put me on the list for the pre-order as a birthday gift.

Papa Doble

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thank you for the prompt replies to the whiskey lhs-related questions I feared were more about my neurosis than about natural variations in Alden's manufacturing process. I will now sleep soundly tonight knowing that I am not losing an opportunity for whiskey, but instead gaining a versatile cigar shell that I will have the luxury of trying on in two different widths. I really thought I was going nuts for a second there, but as I look at the pics again, it sure looks like that left shoe is a 9.5 indeed.

I'm considering a pair of cigar, ravello, or whiskey LHS myself, so the more pics and discussion the better. I cannot personally vouch for it, but many here seem to like the Saphir cordovan cremes.

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I wear the LHS in 9C. My whiskey LHS came from Alden DC last year, but I have no idea if they have another pair. My Barrie size is 9D.

I tried the LHS in 9D - and they had way too much heel slippage.

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Some interesting developments are happening in the midst of my recent purchase of whiskey LHSs from Alden of DC. Hoping to get some feedback on some choices I'm going to be making. Here's the situation: I ordered the whiskey LHS in a Van last from Kathy a couple days back. I was unsure about whether to go with the 8.5 or 9D. She erred on the side of TTS. The shoes came today and are lovely--but with one catch. The left shoe is arguably a couple cm longer than the right shoe. Both are marked 9D, so it's not a mismatched pair. The right shoe fits exactly the way I wanted a loafer to fit: snug, but not suffocating; enough room in the toe area; and no heel slippage whatsoever. The left shoe was a train wreck. My heel outright pops out of the shoe no matter how delicately I step or scrunch my toes in an attempt to hold onto the shoe. I got on the phone with Kathy, who has graciously offered to not only mail me a set of tongue pads for the left shoe, but is also shipping (at no charge or deposit whatsoever) a 9C and a 9D in the Cigar LHS. I can't wait to see the UPS guy tomorrow, but here are some questions: - have you guys ever used more than one tongue pad to offset a length issue (I understand the adage that "if the shoe fits, wear it" and vice versa, but I'm hoping that finding just the right amount of padding could keep my left heel in the shoe)? During lunch, I tried padding with a remnant of a heel pad some SA at Neiman Marcus gave me--sadly, to no avail. The heel pad, which I placed at the tongue area was thin and kept slipping (because I didn't want to permanently affix something to a shoe I may be returning). Following are some pics of the length issue. (My apologies for the less-than-stellar-iphone-camera quality). I tried to line the shoes up as symmetrically as possible; I believe you can see how the left shoe just edges out the right shoe. (It's almost like someone used too large a shoe tree prior to sending them out) - next question is about Whiskey vs Cigar shell. I feel "forced" to go with Cigar in light of the sizing issue, so it's hard to think about letting the Whiskey go. That said, I was on the fence between the two shells when I placed the original order with Kathy. Do you guys have a preference between Whiskey and Cigar shells? Which do you find more versatile? Which seems easier to maintain and keep nice looking? - last question is about width and cordovan stretching. As I said, the right shoe in 9D van fits nicely. A 9C would likely have corrected the left heel slipping issue (I'm quite certain the left shoe is longer than the right, but am open to the possibility that I simply have two very different length feet). Obviously, there is no option to mix and match widths. I'm wondering (and I realize maybe I just need to try the damn shoes on) how much stretching or relaxing is likely to happen in the toe box or vamp if I end up going with the narrower pair. Will my right foot, which loved the 9D, end up feeling completely choked and blistery in the 9C? Will the 9C end up loosening somewhat? Would the answer be different if the shoes in question were calf rather than shell? At the very least, this has been a lesson in being careful which retailer one attempts the long distance try-on with. Let me say unequivocally that Kathy has been more than a stand-up person about this whole endeavor. She has spent ample time on the phone with me, answering questions, theorizing about solutions. Her willingness to send out two pairs of shoes I haven't paid for while still deciding on the original pair is a testament to her putting customer service ahead of making quick sales. I heartily urge folks to call her.
You have to send those back. The discrepancy is ridiculous. I have the LHS in whiskey and color 8. I like them both. That said, buying Cigar will not be a bad decision, if that's what you decide to do.

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The Saphir dark brown shell cordovan cream may, depending on your shade of cigar, darken the shoe. If you want to steer clear of that, go with Saphir nuetral shell cream or just Saphir Reno.

Man with Apple

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You have to send those back. The discrepancy is ridiculous. I have the LHS in whiskey and color 8. I like them both. That said, buying Cigar will not be a bad decision, if that's what you decide to do.

+1 on this.

I have had this actually happen to 3, yes, THREE different pairs of shoes I have ordered in the last couple years. I have returned each of them. Pretty annoying.

imolazhp_ci

Reaction score
agree with the above. go neutral. i've even stopped using the burgundy cordovan cream because i don't like how uniformly it changes the color of color #8. on my ravello i've only ever used neutral, and started recently using it on my #8 as well. i just got a pair of cigar LHS and i plan to only use neutral on that as well. part of the beauty of shells is how each one has a different hue. neutral won't affect this. creams with pigment will.

Last edited:

Al in Philly

Reaction score

They right shoe may be 8.5 and the left may be 9. Not trying to be devil's advocate, just trying to help you get the right size.

Organika

Reaction score

Looking at the photos that shoe is unquestionably larger than the other, must be stamped incorrectly. Im sure you would enjoy the Cigar as well. I use Alden dark brown cream on Cigar as suggested and it seems to work well, wish you better luck with the next pair.

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

How often do the rest of you see Aldens in the wild?
I live in San Diego, and NEVER see anyone wearing Aldens.

I'm in Los Angeles and likewise. The only thing SFers like that I've seen on the street is a pair of Lanvin sneakers. The guy looked so surprise when I told him nice Lanvins, haha.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

agree with the above. go neutral. i've even stopped using the burgundy cordovan cream because i don't like how uniformly it changes the color of color #8. on my ravello i've only ever used neutral, and started recently using it on my #8 as well. i just got a pair of cigar LHS and i plan to only use neutral on that as well. part of the beauty of shells is how each one has a different hue. neutral won't affect this. creams with pigment will.

good point. only thing i would add is that pigmented creams are useful for finger nail deep scratches that require a little more than just brushing

Last edited:

meso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just in from ebay, Alden for Epaulet Brixton ravello boots. Had to put some work into them but like the patina.

Don L

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
^^ Wow, those Brixtons
inlove.gif
^^

Nice score

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads