• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

scott.m

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I know those Low tops Indy's are made only for winn perry, but could i custom order a pair from an Alden Shop? Any way to get my hands on these in my size? us 8

interlockingny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by scott.m
Hey guys, I know those Low tops Indy's are made only for winn perry, but could i custom order a pair from an Alden Shop? Any way to get my hands on these in my size? us 8

I would recommend calling the Alden SF store. They should be able to help you.

chethondo

Reaction score
I've been waiting months to buy a pair of Alden Indy boots and finally got fitted for some in New York this weekend. I wear a 10 in AE PAs, Bass, Vans, Johnson Murphy, Sperry, etc. but the dude at Alden's on Madison Avenue fitted me in an 8.5 and they fit like a glove. I'm still floored at the sizing situation. I'm glad I didn't order online or I would have been extremely confused. Anyone else have anything like that happen?

Johdus Fanfoozal

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chethondo
I've been waiting months to buy a pair of Alden Indy boots and finally got fitted for some in New York this weekend. I wear a 10 in AE PAs, Bass, Vans, Johnson Murphy, Sperry, etc. but the dude at Alden's on Madison Avenue fitted me in an 8.5 and they fit like a glove. I'm still floored at the sizing situation. I'm glad I didn't order online or I would have been extremely confused. Anyone else have anything like that happen?

I'm a full size down in my 403s and they fit perfectly.

Trapp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chethondo

I had something like this happen. I also wear a 10D in AE PA, and it took me a long time and a lot of fussing around to arrive at my proper size for the trubalance. I was originally ok'd for a smaller boot (9D in shell cordovan) than usually suggested, and after a month of wear it became clear that it was ultimately too small. Eventually I found the standard formula of 1/2 size down (thus 9.5D) worked best for a comfortable fit. I could take a 9E as well but with less room for error.

I'm a little skeptical, but I suppose it's possible an 8.5 (1.5 sizes down?) would work for your foot if your foot is somehow an extremely low-volume size 10. I would get fitted again and double check. Make sure the SA is making you stand with full weight loaded on each foot as he and you check toe-length and width. And make sure the widest part of your foot is aligning with the widest part of the boot. This second tip is easy to miss, or it was for me. I used to like a fairly snug fit (I've since relaxed this preference), and it can be tough to determine what is "good snug" and what is "too snug" in a new boot. In a new 9D in shell, I can move my toes freely and there is a light, comfortable squeeze around the ball of my foot. This comfortable squeeze became quite uncomfortable over several days, even with healthy shoe rotation. I found that the 9.5 was much better, as it pulled my foot a bit back from the toebox, resulting an a bit more toe-room (which I didn't need but was still okay) and a better alignment with the wide ball of my foot with the widest part of the boot (which i very much needed).

Alden customer service is great and except for one isolated occasion where an SA swore up and down that the Trubalance and the Barrie were the "same exact last" I've never had a bad experience with a sales associate. But they do each have different opinions on how the boots should fit and on the behavior of the different leathers. In the same Alden store, I've had one sales associate state that under no circumstances will their shell cordovan stretch. Only to return a month later and have a different SA cheerfully advise that shell of course stretches a ton and will mold comfortably to your foot. My point is simply that if you get ok'd for a surprising small size, definately confirm with another visit to the store before dropping your $ on boots.

chethondo

Reaction score
^ Great advice! I might need to get fitted again. I bet I could pull off a 9D in the 403s. SAs always measure my foot when I'm sitting down but when I stand up it measures a half size bigger. He was quite pushy on the 8.5 and wouldn't entertain a bigger size. The only reason I'm inclined to trust him is because I had a similar thing happen when buying Gucci classic bit loafers. I wear an 8.5 in those too - mainly because the last is a full size bigger than normal sizing and I went down another half because I wear those with skinny socks or no socks.

Trapp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mbrokerny
... Roy boots from Blackbird

...from Context.

I recall seeing an indy boot on ebay with a crepe sole at one point. Or maybe it was a white red-wing style sole. I don't know who they were made for and I didn't look very hard 'cause to be honest they looked terrible. I do like the Roy boot though.

Trapp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Johdus Fanfoozal
Alden Indy + crepe sole = epic fail.

haha, i had that exact formula in my head as well, including the word epic.

The more I think about an indy with a crepe sole the more I think it would look you were wearing
ffffuuuu.gif
on both feet.

Henryyy

Reaction score
Anywhere to get the Indy Boots in Vintage? Apparently LeatherSoul isn't placing an order for them anytime soon... that or it will be at least 6 months until the next shipment.

Trapp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hooker4186
FTFY.

Imo, the crepe sole works really well on a few boots (db's, roy) but they do currently seem to be getting too much play. When they do work, I seek them out, partly because when I combine them with a quality superfeet insole they offer amazing relief for plantar faceitis (a sore arch thing), which I struggle with sometimes from running.

mbrokerny, the all-weather walker is an entirely different animal than the indy. It's more like the roy, but in shoe form.

Johdus Fanfoozal

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mbrokerny
Why?

I have a friend with the All Weather Walkers and he loves them

A high-quality leather upper welted to a spongy white and often disgustingly dirty sole looks terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads