• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MickCollins1916

Reaction score

NSTs on Barrie in #8 pebble grain shell

balmoralsoccer

Reaction score
So I'm recently engaged and am in a need of a black shoe for the wedding (I'll most likely be wearing a charcoal suit). Should I go Alden 907 or 932? Leaning towards the 907.

907:

932:

Third option is the Allen Edmond Park Ave, but would prefer the Alden I think.

if you want alden, get shell...my wedding was the occasion for my first pair of aldens! and then more followed.

slide13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Eh, not necessarily. I've had shell...I didn't love it. I actually prefer regular leather I think. Shell is cool but it stayed stiff, never broke in like I wanted, and just looks different. I appreciate it, but I prefer standard leather.

stant62

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I'm recently engaged and am in a need of a black shoe for the wedding (I'll most likely be wearing a charcoal suit). Should I go Alden 907 or 932? Leaning towards the 907.

I have the 907s and they are excellent. The Hampton last is one of Alden's more elegant lasts. However, considering this is your wedding, I would consider the Crockett & Jones Audley or Connaught - which would be in the Alden price range.

Last edited:

thebeebs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ I wouldn't go Alden for my wedding. I wore C&J's Hallam. If I did it over again, I'd go with a JL bal, but that may be out of your range.

Papa Doble

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

907:

932:

Third option is the Allen Edmond Park Ave, but would prefer the Alden I think.

I pick the 907.

I wore black AE PAs to my wedding. I've since gotten the shell bug, so if I could do it over again, I'd probably go with something like the Alden 907 if I couldn't find a black shell plain toe balmoral.

100 yrs

Reaction score
thanks for the input everyone. i think i'll go try on some park ave's and see what those are like. i've got a bit to decide.

TB82

Reaction score
New here, but quite an Alden enthousiast.

These are my suede indy's on crepe sole... Next weekend I'm looking to buy cordovan boots. Been thinking about the Indy's on the Plaza last or the Parajumper...

Last edited:

Alpina

Reaction score
If you fit in the Park Ave, go with that; just as good for a simple black balmoral and can be had for half the price. But both have multiple fit (wide) options.

Yeah for a standard black dress shoe for a wedding I wouldn't bother with Alden unless you really have cash to burn, or you'll use it on a daily basis afterwards.

how's sizing on these? I'm looking at the black ones now, pricing is impressive..
I'm a 9C on Barrie/Grant, and I got the Kent Wang balmorals for my wedding in a 9. Especially with thin socks, my perfect size would actually have been an 8.5. Great shoes, shined up beautifully, and they are much more formal and elegant than the Alden offering (and perfectly appropriate to wear with a tuxedo). If you are still leaning toward the Aldens, consider that the cap toe 907s aren't technically suitable for formalwear.

mcbrown

Reaction score
I wore Alden black shell captoe bluchers (gasp!) for my wedding. They were my first pair of "nice" shoes and obviously my first Alden. My wallet is still having regrets about the discovery. :) 100 yrs did say he was wearing a charcoal suit, so I think there is a fairly wide range of "appropriate" footwear he can pair with it. The deciding factor should probably be the usefulness of the shoe in everyday life post-wedding. I would personally not go with a plain toe balmoral, as it falls short on this front.

spicycho

Reaction score
Just pulled the trigger on my 2nd pair of aldens, AF89 black high calfskin boots, plain toe w/ commando sole on the leydon last from AoC. Pretty excited.

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^^That does sound like a nice pair of Aldens, and something of an unusual makeup. Should wear well and I'm sure they'll look great in the wild.

Did you get them at the overstock pricing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members