• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

violethour1951

Reaction score
Ravello LWBs just as the sun is peeking over the horizon:
c6e4c99e-15c3-867b.jpg
Wow. This combination is a winner

Al in Philly

Reaction score
I just bought my first pair of Aldens yesterday (901 - Needed a go to business shoe) and the fit is almost perfect. The right shoe is pretty good, but the left one has the slightest bit of heel slip. Does anyone have any suggestions to remedy this? I know there are things you can put under the tongue and things you can put inside the heel, but I'd rather not use the heel ones if I can, as those tends to separate off with friction.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Last edited:

blue collar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I just bought my first pair of Aldens yesterday (901 - Needed a go to business shoe) and the fit is almost perfect.  The right shoe is pretty good, but the left one has the slightest bit of heel slip.  Does anyone have any suggestions to remedy this?  I know there are things you can put under the tongue and things you can put inside the heel, but I'd rather not use the heel ones if I can, as those tends to separate off with friction.  

Thanks in advance for any help!

I have found that the heel slip goes away after the sole (and upper) have had a chance to break in, form to your foot and the way you walk.

If you want an instant fix i have found that tongue pad does a good job of helping you fill out the shoe.it's better than wearing thick socks, esp' in summer :satisfied:

blue collar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Should have given props in my picture. They're actually Epaulet Regiment Twill Walts in cloud which is a very light grey.

Regardless, it looks great. I wear white pants, blue blazer with my ravello :slayer:

Last edited:

Al in Philly

Reaction score
I have found that the heel slip goes away after the sole (and upper) have had a chance to break in, form to your foot and the way you walk.
If you want an instant fix i have found that tongue pad does a good job of helping you fill out the shoe.it's better than wearing thick socks, esp' in summer
satisfied.gif
Thanks! Actually, with thick socks I probably wouldn't need anything, but I can only see myself wearing them with my thin OTCs. I think i'll check out the tongue pads.

blue collar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Anyone familiar with the chamois leather? How does it compare with Kudu, or more specifically, is it nearly as water resistant as Kudu?

I have not had the pleasure of owning a chamois make-up but they look killer.

This is anter nice option if you are not set on the LWB (from www.unionmadegoods.com)

Bryant_Derosa_Wingtip_in_Smooth_Tobacco_Chamois_1.jpg

Last edited:

Kashiwa

Reaction score

If you want an instant fix i have found that tongue pad does a good job of helping you fill out the shoe.it's better than wearing thick socks, esp' in summer :satisfied:

I'm still breaking in some new PTBs, but this seems to be the case for me as well. Based on my own limited experience, you might want give it a go without the tongue pads and see if it feels better after a few more wears.

Kashiwa

Reaction score

This is anter nice option if you are not set on the LWB (from www.unionmadegoods.com)

Indeed, those are also very nice. And I'm not set on the LWB. I'd really like to get something water resistant (lots o' rain here), and I'm wondering if the Kudu is a better option, or if the chamois offers more or less the same degree of water resistance.

Beatlegeuse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Bryant_Derosa_Wingtip_in_Smooth_Tobacco_Chamois_1.jpg

wow, I usually prefer LWBs over SWBs, but I really really like the look of these.

jt2gt

Reaction score

Indeed, those are also very nice. And I'm not set on the LWB. I'd really like to get something water resistant (lots o' rain here), and I'm wondering if the Kudu is a better option, or if the chamois offers more or less the same degree of water resistance.

I've got the LWB in chamois you showed and they are great. Although I don't have anything in Kudu to compare to, I can say water and scuff resistence is high on the chamois LWB. I've worn them in wet weather and they still look new with little creasing as well. Here is more about chamois from a write up on a Winn Perry makeup (since gone out of business):

http://winnperry.com/updates/alden-73030-ranger-mocc/

JT

Last edited:

Kashiwa

Reaction score

I've got the LWB in chamois you showed and they are great. Although I don't have anything in Kudu to compare to, I can say water and scuff resistence is high on the chamois LWB. I've worn them in wet weather and they still look new with little creasing as well. Here is more about chamois from a write up on a Winn Perry makeup (since gone out of business):
http://winnperry.com/updates/alden-73030-ranger-mocc/
JT

Thanks! Glad to hear about the water and scuff resistance. The pair you linked to from Winn Perry and the pair from Unionmade both use the smooth side, which actually looks very similar to Kudu. I think I like the look of the rough side better.

jt2gt

Reaction score

Thanks! Glad to hear about the water and scuff resistance. The pair you linked to from Winn Perry and the pair from Unionmade both use the smooth side, which actually looks very similar to Kudu. I think I like the look of the rough side better.

I actually like the smooth side better which I think looks a tad dressier. Since I tend to wear with chinos and OCBD, I like the smooth side look a bit more. I have seen a few with rough side out too and they look like very rugged boots/shoes.

JT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads