• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sfactor23

Reaction score
66vtoh.jpg

cigar ptb
argyle otc

simply stunning - :)

mediahound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Beautiful!! Still kicking myself for not taking advantage at Orvis. When I finally confirmed the last, they were out of my size.

What is the last on the Orvis ones? I snagged a pair for $399.20! They were only sale for $499. but there was some sort of glitch on their site such that when checking out, it was $399.20. Or, maybe the ones I got are seconds, but it did not state that.

I wasn't even sure if it was color 8 or black that I was ordering as they don't say on their site. I didn't really care at that price though.

Last edited:

terradilavoro

Reaction score

I was just in the Alden New York Store and decided to try out a pair of LHS loafers in cigar. I wear a 9D Barrie, so that was where I started with the Van last. But this was clearly not a good fit. My heel came right out of the shoe. So I tried the 8.5D on the advice of the salesman. This seemed to fit better. It was shorter, but I still had adequate room in front of my toes. It was tight over the top of my foot, but the guy assured my that that was what I wanted, since they would certainly stretch out. So I got them, despite the fact that I had never worn a size 8.5. Then I tried them on again when I got home. After about 10-15 minutes (on carpet) I realized that they were very tight in the width as well, and that this was fairly uncomfortable. I worried that they might never become comfortable, so I decided to take them back this morning. The store was good about accepting the return, although they said (different guy this time) that they thought that the shell would stretch out eventually, as much as it needed to. Maybe, but I didn't want to run the risk. I tried on a 8.5E (wider). This was more comfortable, but I still didn't feel sure about it. I've never worn a wide size before, and I was concerned about the possibility that they might stretch out. So I decided to just pass on the shoes.

Has anyone else sized down to wear the Van last, and does this seem to work? The posts that I have seen indicate that most people take the same size as in the Barrie last. I like these LHS loafers, but at the moment I fear that the Van last might not work for me.

Hi Simplicio,

i made the same experience today by myself. Sizing down 1/2 from Barie did't help to avoid heel slipping. I accept the Van don't fit my feet unfortunately. Must try C&J - also a very nice loafer.
cheerio Joachim

Last edited:

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What is the last on the Orvis ones? I snagged a pair for $399.20! They were only sale for $499. but there was some sort of glitch on their site such that when checking out, it was $399.20. Or, maybe the ones I got are seconds, but it did not state that.
I wasn't even sure if it was color 8 or black that I was ordering as they don't say on their site. I didn't really care at that price though.

Orvis indicated to me and several others that it was the Tremont last but those that have received them confirm that it's the Barrie.

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Great looking boots! Might have to put on my ever growing list.....

Cigar... This is on my list too. What to buy though? I have my eye on some of the oxfords on the Alden NY site as something very different for me, and a little dressier than these and my other gunboats, if I can expand Mac's appositely description of the Barrie LWB to my other Barrie last Aldens. My goal is to get to NY or perhaps DC and try something on to size the lasts.

Beautiful!! Still kicking myself for not taking advantage at Orvis. When I finally confirmed the last, they were out of my size.

Thank you. Funny thing, apropos the quote below, is that I decided to buy based on the misinformation from Orvis customer service about the last. Thought I was going to jump my Barrie track, and by the time we confirmed otherwise I was already in for the shipping. $18.95 is $18.95, you know. :) Looking forward to getting out and about in these.

Definitely confirmed as the standard 975 Barrie LWB. And definitely color #8. You must have gotten the super, extra secret clearance price. Good on you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads