• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Large Feet Thread – dedicated to info on where to get plus size shoes

mw313

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In many cultures big feet are considered very attractive, so why hide it?
smile.gif
I'm 200 cm (about 6'6"?) with UK 11.5 F and I don't avoid certain last shapes because of this fact, because my length and shoe size is pretty proportional. But if you feel uncomfortable with wearing big sizes, you can use some very simple tactics. If you're a portly fella with very big and wide feet, avoid rounded lasts. In my opinion the maker that makes big, chunky feet look the sleekest is Gaziano & Girling (MH71 and DG70 lasts) and Enzo Bonafé (946 and 74945 lasts). If you're a skinny dude and have large, slim, pointy feet avoid pointy lasts, go for rounded lasts like EG 202 and G&G GG06. But I also think that the rest of the attire must marry with the shoes, so to speak.

I agree! I'm about 190 cm (6' 2.5") but am around a US 14 (and very narrow) in the nicer brands like these. Thankfully I'm of quite an athletic built while being lean so the feet still make sense with my built, but are just long.
I think that it just takes time to get used to pairing certain last shapes with certain pant openings. I love the EG 202 (more rounded) last but I also love the GG TG73 (more sleek and square) which are both quite different from each other. They both look nice if paired with the proper outfit.

Bearcat1

Reaction score
Great thread! I'm 6"5 and wear uk 13 for the most part. I wish Skoak would carry shoes up to uk 13 or alternatively have special MTO offers from time to time.

mw313

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great thread! I'm 6"5 and wear uk 13 for the most part. I wish Skoak would carry shoes up to uk 13 or alternatively have special MTO offers from time to time.

They do offer those sizes, but you have to go MTO. The largest concern is how each last will fit your foot and what size you actually will need based on your foot shape.

The easiest way to get an educated guess is to find out what sizes you wear in other shoe brands, like this:

I started with AE and figured out that I am best with a 14AA in the 1 last and 15AAA in the 7 last, while I can wear a 14A in the 5 last (but with an extra sock to help around the heel)

I went to Alden and wear a 14 AAA in the Barrie but can also get a way with a 13.5 AA in the Trubalance because a .5 size is so close in length for us big guys.

I was able to get my hands on Churches on the 73 last and could wear a 14 B with two socks since they said they can't do more narrow.

I tried Crockett and Jones in the 341 in a UK 13 for length but they only could do a C width for the narrowest which is only okay if I use two thick socks. That is why I didn't keep them and don't buy C&J. They are great shoes for the price though!

I then moved up to Edward Green and Gaziano & Girling:
In EG they can make large sizes on the 202 (only one that they can do narrow widths for me) and also on the 184 and 606 (up to UK 14 and UK 14.5 respectively with wides available). I got a pair on UK 13.5 B which works for me but is still a bit wide, so I think that the UK 13 (US 13.5) would be best in length for me and the extra size down in width would help fit me better in that regard as well. I will try that for my next pair!

In GG I actually was advised to try a UK 12.5 on the TG73 last because it fits like a US 13/13.5 and since my foot is narrow, it actually works well for me. The shape of that last actually fits me better than anything that I have at the moment. In someone with a wider foot, they may have to stick with a UK 13 or at least use a last with a wider toe box like the GG06.

These are just sizings that I have found to work for me, but as you may be able to notice, not all of the sizes and last combinations actually make sense compared to what people normally say. Some of that is due to the fact of me having such a narrow foot and being able to downsize in some lasts. It also makes less of a difference for .5 size for us in large sizes because the length and width differences between sizes are always the same (1/3 inch in length and 1/4 inch in width for a full size) which makes much less of a difference in proportion of our foot size compared to those of more normal sized feet.

In the end, you just need to have room for your longest toe to be able to wiggle a bit (usually about one thumb nails width in front of the toe) and the more important is that your ball of your foot (where the toes bend) sits at the widest part of the shoe. The most important part is that your feet feel comfortable.

In some of the shoes that I picked in a shorter size or even longer size, I felt more comfortable in that one vs the other sizes around. In the AE 7 last, I feel more comfortable in the 15AAA than the 14A even though I have enough toe room in both and the width is the same when factoring in the width variation from size to size. The further forward ball of the 15 just fits me more comfortably. That is what matters in the end!

Eventually we will need to post a list of all makers who produce large sizes and what lasts and widths are available as well. That is something that will take a bit of time, but I think that we can do it as a team! I have done a lot of the leg work already and have email confirmation from various companies, but it will take me some time to get it all together and have the time to post it. I've been very busy with a few other threads recently as well as my medical work and personal life!

Bearcat1

Reaction score
Thanks for this! The disadvantage we have is that we don't have the luxury to go into a store and try shoes. Hence , we order and try and there is a lot of trial and error with the associated costs. Eventually we tend to find what works for us but the journey can be frustrating not to mention expensive.

The 348 of crockett jones works well for me. Vanessa from the NY store has been very helpful. The 13e uk of EG 888 is too tight. Got the inverness in doak. Great pair but too tight. Should have gone with the wider width. Close but no cigar. Was actually measured by tbe lady from EG. Can't recall her name. Lovely lady. Just did not recommend the right size.

Got measured by Dean for my GG gable. He did a pretty good job. Measured me as a 13.5 uk.

I like the St crispin fit. Got the 13uk in G width. Will probably attend the next trunk show at to see if I can get a better fit.

Carmina has not worked out for me thus far. I am moving away form AE. The 5 last never worked for me. I realized that after buying a half dozen pairs. Have sold most.

I am interested in EB particularly the 804 last. The journey continues!

mw313

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for this! The disadvantage we have is that we don't have the luxury to go into a store and try shoes. Hence , we order and try and there is a lot of trial and error with the associated costs. Eventually we tend to find what works for us but the journey can be frustrating not to mention expensive.

The 348 of crockett jones works well for me. Vanessa from the NY store has been very helpful. The 13e uk of EG 888 is too tight. Got the inverness in doak. Great pair but too tight. Should have gone with the wider width. Close but no cigar. Was actually measured by tbe lady from EG. Can't recall her name. Lovely lady. Just did not recommend the right size.

Got measured by Dean for my GG gable. He did a pretty good job. Measured me as a 13.5 uk.

I like the St crispin fit. Got the 13uk in G width. Will probably attend the next trunk show at to see if I can get a better fit.

Carmina has not worked out for me thus far. I am moving away form AE. The 5 last never worked for me. I realized that after buying a half dozen pairs. Have sold most.

I am interested in EB particularly the 804 last. The journey continues!

it is a tough one, but there are a few people who are really good to speak with when you know at least a last or two that work for you. @Leaves from Skoaktiebolaget and his guys are great if you know any of the sizes in any of their brands (EG, GG, Carmina, EB). You can also go buy the standard recommendations that most customers make since you are a wide, like most of their customers.

I'm the anomaly, since I can be one true size (US 14 AA) and vary so much bases on what widths are available for each maker. They are trying a special one for me with EB, but I spoke with Enzo directly as well as the Skoak guys to try to figure this one out.

Don't forget but with St. C you can have them modify the last to fit you better if that works for you.

What last did he say you should get the 13.5 in? All of them since they fit the same except for the toe? Or was it because you need a wide and he had you size up from the 13 to fix that. Most guys are about the same in EG and GG.

Bearcat1

Reaction score
Got the mh71 in 13.5 uk standard width. Got measured for the TG73 but ended up ordering the mh71. It fits pretty well. Much better than EG' 888. The 82 last also fits me pretty well in a uk13 e.

I had also read that I could expect to wear the same size in EG and GG. This did not end up being the case in my particular case.

mw313

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Got the mh71 in 13.5 uk standard width. Got measured for the TG73 but ended up ordering the mh71. It fits pretty well. Much better than EG' 888. The 82 last also fits me pretty well in a uk13 e.

I had also read that I could expect to wear the same size in EG and GG. This did not end up being the case in my particular case.

Does the ball of your foot fit right at the widest part of the GG in 13.5? If so and you have enough room for the toes in front, then you are fine and it may prevent you from needing a wider width. What do you think needs to be done to make it fit better? Should it be longer,shorter, wider,narrower,etc?

How about with the EG pairs? If you list what is good and what could be better we can give suggestions on sizing as well as slight mods like full sock liners, etc. to help future pairs.

Bearcat1

Reaction score
Hi mw313! The GG 13.5 actually fits pretty well.

I think I may be a bit of a perfectionist, eternally looking to improve fit.

EG is pretty good. Just need a wider width in the 888. I can go with standard width in the 82 last. Carmina Rain was too wide around the ankles and sides.

Have you tried the 348 last in Crockett Jones? With your long narrow feet, they should fit you pretty well if they make them in narrower widths?

mw313

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi mw313! The GG 13.5 actually fits pretty well.

I think I may be a bit of a perfectionist, eternally looking to improve fit.

EG is pretty good. Just need a wider width in the 888. I can go with standard width in the 82 last. Carmina Rain was too wide around the ankles and sides.

Have you tried the 348 last in Crockett Jones? With your long narrow feet, they should fit you pretty well if they make them in narrower widths?

That is great that these shoes have fit you so well and that you know what modifications you will need for the next pairs. If you feel that you can use a bit of extra room in any pair to make up for the width that you need, it is better to be a bit big than too small. Just so you know if you need to take up extra space in a model, you can get a full sock liner or have tongue pads added. They can take up a good half width.

I think that C&J make great shoes for their RTW price, but they only have two lasts that can be make in a narrow in my length (UK 13) for the brand, and neither are really narrow enough for me. They also charge me a major uncharge to do this, to the point that I can almost get an EG MTO for that price. I would rather stick with EG and GG anyway, because I can get a superior shoe with almost limitless options (as much as possible without going bespoke) for a small premium.

C&J is definitely one that I recommend for many people though.

When someone is a perfectionist, like myself too, the fit is the most important, with finishing in 2nd. AE/Alden fit me substantially better than any entry to upper mid brand anyway, so I would rather stick with them for more casual and traditional outfits and EG/GG for the others. Of course I am open to trying other brands/makers and have a hope to give every maker a chance who is willing to try to make a pair of shoes for me. I will always say what I feel is worth the cost as well as overall quality, but these are what have worked for me so far. There are plenty of options that will be open to normal width feet and others for wide width feet, but unfortunately there is substantially less in the narrow world.

mw313

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am waiting to get a pair of EB that Enzo and Skoak have tried to help accommodate me with.

I can't wait to try some of the small Italian makers as well, since many are capable of great shoes for reasonable prices compared to many others.
I also will definitely be trying Eastern European made shoes as well (St. C, Vass, etc.)

Many of the small Italian as well as Eastern European are willing to do large sizes, even if they will make a custom last for the customer (at an uncharge of course) and have to make some patterns here and there, since they are such a small scale for production anyway, but that option alone is worth giving them a chance.

Penfold

Reaction score
I am in awe of your knowledge @mw313 and your dedication in finding and trying so many makers. To have feet that are both so long and so narrow must be a trial.

My only contribution to this nascent matrix of sizing information is pathetic - that C & J make a 12.5UK and a 13UK on their 236 last in E width, at least for the Connaught in black calf. But you could have told that from the website. Once I go back to the UK and get my stuff out of storage I might be able to contribute further. In the meantime I await a large feet MTO special with baited breath. My own suggestion would be to make something that isn't an Oxford in black calf but would still be a relative staple - a split toe wingtip like the EG Dover (but might the 'lake' exaggerate length and make big feet look silly?) or something like these shoes posted by Crat a few years ago in the EG thread

worship2.gif

Leaves

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

I am waiting to get a pair of EB that Enzo and Skoak have tried to help accommodate me with.

I can't wait to try some of the small Italian makers as well, since many are capable of great shoes for reasonable prices compared to many others.
I also will definitely be trying Eastern European made shoes as well (St. C, Vass, etc.) 

Many of the small Italian as well as Eastern European are willing to do large sizes, even if they will make a custom last for the customer (at an uncharge of course) and have to make some patterns here and there, since they are such a small scale for production anyway, but that option alone is worth giving them a chance.

If you are ever in northern Italy, please try to squeeze in a visit to Bonafé, we can make a custom last for you, I'm sure Gabriel has mentioned it. The surcharge is just about 2300 SEK (about $275 ).

Leaves

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Bologna is a good place for a belated honeymoon, right? :satisfied:

Absolutely, I was actually there for a part of my honeymoon. Bologna is underrated, much less tourists than Florence and very beautiful.

Bearcat1

Reaction score
Hi Leaves. This is the one I am considering: EB Austerity Brogue in Yoko burgundy last 804 size UK 13 on single leather sole with a suola a schiena d’asino (beveled waist).

Either that or EG beaulieu burgundy in the 82 last.

Thoughts?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads