• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

darkness2505

Reaction score
I would also like to offer my very recent experiences as well. Like many of you, I was looking to get a suit made in Hong Kong for the three weeks time that I was there. As this was my first bespoke suit and also a newbie to the world of fabrics and suiting, I did some research and knew of the big names that was beyond my budget (Yao, Chan). I narrowed my choices to the mid range tier, that I was able to find from reading every page of this thread. After I was able to find a suiting thread on a HK forum (thanks Fishball and add911_11) with my limited Chinese, and everyone seems to rave and recommend Dream Bespoke.

I went the other two "famous" mid range tailors as well and these are the starting prices that I was told:

Simpson Sin
Half Canvas 4300
Full Canvas 4600

Lee Baron
Half Canvas 3800
Full Canvas 5800

Dream Bespoke
Full Canvas 4900

To be honest, you can say I am a sheep and whatnot, I just decided to go to DB based upon the recommendations from the HK thread. Ricky from DB was a younger gentleman, but he was very genuine and nice and took the time to explain everything to me as I didnt know much about suiting. I went in on a Tuesday and was able to get my first fitting in on the Friday, and then the 2nd fitting on the next Friday and was able to get everything done in the 3rd week Tuesday. He had an older gentleman tailor with him when I did the fittings as well.

Regarding Jantzen, I used to go to them a few years ago, but this year I went back and I can tell you that their customer service to me sucks balls. I can honestly say I am pretty tolerant and patient, but there was absolutely no customer service. I went to them as a new customer again to get remeasured, and when I got my shirt, it was wrong in all the places, even one of the girls working there thought there was something wrong. However, it still did not fit right the second time, so I had them fix it again. The people working there just seem uninterested. Perhaps, I was only ordering 1 shirt from them at that time. I do not think I will go back to them again. Therefore, I ended up making 3 other shirts at DB as well. They were similar price range at $450.

I paid 5600 for a navy two piece VBC Super 110s. It was recommended by him, do you think that is a decent fabric and fair price? As my first real suit, this is still all new to me, so I hope I made the right decision. I had a very good experience with Ricky though. Pics to come soon.

Last edited:

Isolation

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm going to pick up a suit from Excellent Tailor/Regent Shop.. I mean I haven't read anything about them here, so I assume they are probably terrible and I made a huge mistake, but they are just downstairs where I live so I thought why not give it a try. I'll be picking up my WW Chan suit after alterations soon I think I'll spend some time getting photos taken of like half a dozen suits and items of clothing, should I make a separate thread or post here?

I sort of want to try other medium range tailors, or do you think I should probably just go with WW Chan for now now that I have a decent range to work with and don't really need many more? Probably that, though I've enjoyed my experience with Jantzen so much (likely because I'm a repeat customer and I am partially local, from the sounds of it), I thought I might try a suit with them. I've read some comments on them that they are okay but not great, and it's not much to go by, does anyone know? It's just I got a bunch of shirts from them and now a waist coat and I really quite liked it.

I think actually that's probably a bad idea, I might just go with another WW Chan next year when I come back. I'll post the photos soon full body and from different sides when I get them.

Here's a photo of the blue jacket, perhaps some thoughts on that? It's not a good photo, and fwiw, the shirt does peek out about 1/4 inch, I think I just didn't have my arms stretched, and I was in a hurry and didn't tuck my shirt properly. I'll take a proper one as a full suit soon. I really do think it's okay, but I'm having second thoughts now about it.

Last edited:

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm going to pick up a suit from Excellent Tailor/Regent Shop.. I mean I haven't read anything about them here, so I assume they are probably terrible and I made a huge mistake, but they are just downstairs where I live so I thought why not give it a try. I'll be picking up my WW Chan suit after alterations soon I think I'll spend some time getting photos taken of like half a dozen suits and items of clothing, should I make a separate thread or post here? I sort of want to try other medium range tailors, or do you think I should probably just go with WW Chan for now now that I have a decent range to work with and don't really need many more? Probably that, though I've enjoyed my experience with Jantzen so much (likely because I'm a repeat customer and I am partially local, from the sounds of it), I thought I might try a suit with them. I've read some comments on them that they are okay but not great, and it's not much to go by, does anyone know? It's just I got a bunch of shirts from them and now a waist coat and I really quite liked it. I think actually that's probably a bad idea, I might just go with another WW Chan next year when I come back. I'll post the photos soon full body and from different sides when I get them. Here's a photo of the blue jacket, perhaps some thoughts on that? It's not a good photo, and fwiw, the shirt does peek out about 1/4 inch, I think I just didn't have my arms stretched, and I was in a hurry and didn't tuck my shirt properly. I'll take a proper one as a full suit soon. I really do think it's okay, but I'm having second thoughts now about it.
I think it looks great and fits very well. Congrats!

johncolona

Reaction score
I would also like to offer my very recent experiences as well. Like many of you, I was looking to get a suit made in Hong Kong for the three weeks time that I was there. As this was my first bespoke suit and also a newbie to the world of fabrics and suiting, I did some research and knew of the big names that was beyond my budget (Yao, Chan). I narrowed my choices to the mid range tier, that I was able to find from reading every page of this thread. After I was able to find a suiting thread on a HK forum (thanks Fishball and add911_11) with my limited Chinese, and everyone seems to rave and recommend Dream Bespoke.

I went the other two "famous" mid range tailors as well and these are the starting prices that I was told:

Simpson Sin
Half Canvas 4300
Full Canvas 4600

Lee Baron
Half Canvas 3800
Full Canvas 5800

Dream Bespoke
Full Canvas 4900

To be honest, you can say I am a sheep and whatnot, I just decided to go to DB based upon the recommendations from the HK thread. Ricky from DB was a younger gentleman, but he was very genuine and nice and took the time to explain everything to me as I didnt know much about suiting. I went in on a Tuesday and was able to get my first fitting in on the Friday, and then the 2nd fitting on the next Friday and was able to get everything done in the 3rd week Tuesday. He had an older gentleman tailor with him when I did the fittings as well.

Regarding Jantzen, I used to go to them a few years ago, but this year I went back and I can tell you that their customer service to me sucks balls. I can honestly say I am pretty tolerant and patient, but there was absolutely no customer service. I went to them as a new customer again to get remeasured, and when I got my shirt, it was wrong in all the places, even one of the girls working there thought there was something wrong. However, it still did not fit right the second time, so I had them fix it again. The people working there just seem uninterested. Perhaps, I was only ordering 1 shirt from them at that time. I do not think I will go back to them again. Therefore, I ended up making 3 other shirts at DB as well. They were similar price range at $450.

I paid 5600 for a navy two piece VBC Super 110s. It was recommended by him, do you think that is a decent fabric and fair price? As my first real suit, this is still all new to me, so I hope I made the right decision. I had a very good experience with Ricky though. Pics to come soon.

VBC super 110 is a decent fabric with very high value-to-price ratio. It is a fair price for 5600. IIRC, WW Chan charges more than double for the same material for a two-piece.

Ricky can serve you very well. May I suggest you to try Lessers as well (also available in DB)? You can't go wrong with lessers 8/9 oz.

Last edited:

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm going to pick up a suit from Excellent Tailor/Regent Shop.. I mean I haven't read anything about them here, so I assume they are probably terrible and I made a huge mistake, but they are just downstairs where I live so I thought why not give it a try. I'll be picking up my WW Chan suit after alterations soon I think I'll spend some time getting photos taken of like half a dozen suits and items of clothing, should I make a separate thread or post here? I sort of want to try other medium range tailors, or do you think I should probably just go with WW Chan for now now that I have a decent range to work with and don't really need many more? Probably that, though I've enjoyed my experience with Jantzen so much (likely because I'm a repeat customer and I am partially local, from the sounds of it), I thought I might try a suit with them. I've read some comments on them that they are okay but not great, and it's not much to go by, does anyone know? It's just I got a bunch of shirts from them and now a waist coat and I really quite liked it. I think actually that's probably a bad idea, I might just go with another WW Chan next year when I come back. I'll post the photos soon full body and from different sides when I get them. Here's a photo of the blue jacket, perhaps some thoughts on that? It's not a good photo, and fwiw, the shirt does peek out about 1/4 inch, I think I just didn't have my arms stretched, and I was in a hurry and didn't tuck my shirt properly. I'll take a proper one as a full suit soon. I really do think it's okay, but I'm having second thoughts now about it.
Nice looking and good fitting jacket, well done.

Hifilover

Reaction score

VBC super 110 is a decent fabric with very high value-to-price ratio. It is a fair price for 5600. IIRC, WW Chan charges more than double for the same material for a two-piece.

Ricky can serve you very well. May I suggest you to try Lessers as well (also available in DB)? You can't go wrong with lessers 8/9 oz.

I completed three jackets and more than 7 pairs of trousers at Dream Bespoke recently and have just committed two more jackets and trousers yesterday. Ricky will try his best to fulfil your requirement and is eagar to provide his professional advice and suggestion. I highly recommend SF members to pay a visit to him when you come to Hong Kong.

AdamWill

Reaction score
Oh yeah, this thread's a thing...

was in HK recently. on Jantzen - they appear to be super, crazy, insanely busy. I know what darkness2505 is saying but I wouldn't exactly say it's bad customer service, just more...excessive efficiency. You show up, they bundle you into a changing room, measurements happen, they run you through the options in about thirty seconds and then they bundle you out and you come back two days later and shirts appear. If you view it as a process by which decently-fitting shirts appear very quickly, it's fine. If you're expecting to be pampered and have a pleasant social experience, yeah, that's not gonna happen. But the shirts were fine, for me. From the looks of the people I saw there for second fittings or adjustments for suits, I certainly wouldn't buy a suit from them, they looked pretty bad. I don't think it's bad service, like I said, just the perils of success - there were about a dozen staff there who were all clearly busy, and 20+ customers came in and out just while I was getting fitted, which is nothing like any other tailor I've been in.

Isolation

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They've been pleasant and chatty when I came in during lull time, and more willing to give additional comments and look through more options for me (with my waistcoat). They went though a dozen swatch books with me to find a color I wanted for my shirts once. What do you find wrong with their suits? I haven't picked one off their rack to look maybe I will next time.

iSurg

Reaction score
Can anyone comment on Brown? Also, saw these on the Merino Bros facebook page today and I haven't been able to ID the tailor.
Can anyone help? They look well-made. Shoulder is really good. My guess would be Yao...

Hifilover

Reaction score

Can anyone comment on Brown? Also, saw these on the Merino Bros facebook page today and I haven't been able to ID the tailor. Can anyone help? They look well-made. Shoulder is really good. My guess would be Yao...
As far as I understand, the two are made by different tailors. Details need to be confirmed by Merino Bros.

Merino Bros

Reaction score
As far as I understand, the two are made by different tailors. Details need to be confirmed by Merino Bros.
Yup, you are right. They are made by two different tailors. Sorry that their details can't be disclosed as they are made by secret tailors.
tongue.gif

But I can tell you that this Frontier suit is made by Dream Bespoke
smile.gif

TheTukker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Never heard of Dream Bespoke - which isn't saying much by the way - but their garments look pretty good. Anyone any experience with their shirts? And shirt fabric offerings?

iSurg

Reaction score
A gentleman never hides behind the claim of secret tailors. Do as you like. I think the second jacket shoulder is the clear winner with light canvas and thin shoulder pad. I am happy to remain in my ignorance and say that Chan or Yao or Y William Yu are able produce this level of jacketing.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads