• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Timeless Fashion

Reaction score

How much longer can the trade continue in HK? The video claims that not a lot of people are going in and the old timers are cloBese to retiring. I wonder how long places like WW Chan and Yao can continue to churn out great products with an aging tailor population.

Bespoke tailoring is a dying art in HK as it has been in the US. I have yet to meet a tailor younger than 50 here in the US. The situation is probably similar in HK. However I am glad WW Chan is still "grooming" younger tailors. If you visit their KL store, there are many "younger" employees there. I would guess Patrick Chu is only in his 40s himself. However I haven't seen Gordan Yao with a younger apprentice. I am afraid when Gordan retires, his shop will close.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Bespoke tailoring is a dying art in HK as it has been in the US. I have yet to meet a tailor younger than 50 here in the US. The situation is probably similar in HK. However I am glad WW Chan is still "grooming" younger tailors. If you visit their KL store, there are many "younger" employees there. I would guess Patrick Chu is only in his 40s himself. However I haven't seen Gordan Yao with a younger apprentice. I am afraid when Gordan retires, his shop will close.

I don't think the younger fellows at Chan are tailors. I think they are customer service reps.

GucciKid

Reaction score

Gordon's son Eric works with/for his father and I believe he has plans to take over the business once his father retires. I don't think that he has been trained as a tailor, but seems to have a keen interest in clothing and traditional tailoring, as well as being very helpful in servicing customers, particularly those not based in Hong Kong. I'm not sure who will take over as "master" tailor when Gordon retires, but I am sure they must be grooming someone as I don't think there are any plans to close the business, and I would think the elder Mr. Yao will be ready to retire soon.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Gordon's son Eric works with/for his father and I believe he has plans to take over the business once his father retires. I don't think that he has been trained as a tailor, but seems to have a keen interest in clothing and traditional tailoring, as well as being very helpful in servicing customers, particularly those not based in Hong Kong. I'm not sure who will take over as "master" tailor when Gordon retires, but I am sure they must be grooming someone as I don't think there are any plans to close the business, and I would think the elder Mr. Yao will be ready to retire soon.

Gordon is not the tailor and don't really know if he was one. I know his master tailor is up there in age and believe he's in his 70's.
I think most of his tailors are close to that age bracket. Gordon, IMO, has a good eye to detail if you know what you want but his prices have gone up in years as well particularly CMT prices.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Gordon is not the tailor and don't really know if he was one. I know his master tailor is up there in age and believe he's in his 70's.
I think most of his tailors are close to that age bracket. Gordon, IMO, has a good eye to detail if you know what you want but his prices have gone up in years as well particularly CMT prices.

Gordon is a skilled and time-served tailor - see his biography. He does not personally make the suits but oversees the process and the equally skilled tailors he employs.

Eric seems set to take over the business eventually although Gordon is still quite able and fit.

Last edited:

vinveritas

Reaction score
During the first fittings, usually present are two tailors - one for the jacket and another for the pants, aside from Gordon.

bamboo

Reaction score
During the first fittings, usually present are two tailors - one for the jacket and another for the pants, aside from Gordon.

Is it? When I went there, just one tailor and Gordon did the job. The guy was in his mid 50's I guess.

vinveritas

Reaction score
In my experience, at the basted stage, GY gives directions to one tailor for the jacket, and another for the trousers. Both tailors appear to me in their 60's. At the subsequent fittings, only one tailor is present to receive GY's instructions. One thing I like about GY is that the service is personalized, and you don't feel being rushed.

bamboo

Reaction score
In my experience, at the basted stage, GY gives directions to one tailor for the jacket, and another for the trousers. Both tailors appear to me in their 60's. At the subsequent fittings, only one tailor is present to receive GY's instructions. One thing I like about GY is that the service is personalized, and you don't feel being rushed.

That could be the case for me. I may have a very poor memory......

journal

Reaction score
Heading to Shanghai, Beijing, HK then KL (in that order)

I'm out to bring total cost down, source the cloth from the mainland and take it to a HK tailor. Medium budget, roughly 500 per suit

Names and approximate locations would be very helpful. I can Google the gaps. The amount of fabric needed is also something I'd appreciate some advice on. I'm a 38/48 typically and roughly 6ft 1'

Before you think I'm lazy and just want someone to hold my hand, I've read through the thread and can see the majority of posts are about touring, high end tailors, with limited details on cloth sourcing

So I'm after the consult of members with recent experiences with HK tailors and anyone with superior cloth knowledge *just cloth knowledge and/or where to source it in those cities.

Thanks
xiexie
gracias
grazie

Journal

iSurg

Reaction score
Some people purchase their cloth here on B&S or go over to the London Lounge. I have sourced fabric from a local H Lesser wholesaler. Not sure if people do buy bolts in China, so I'm interested to hear about this as well. Otherwise, I would question the authenticity of well-known names at cheap prices. Sometimes, it better to source your fabric from someone you trust...

RogerC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You won't find good deals on British or Italian cloth in China, there's a very high import tariff on them. Just buy from mills themselves or jobbers such as Royal Textiles on eBay.

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Some people purchase their cloth here on B&S or go over to the London Lounge. I have sourced fabric from a local H Lesser wholesaler. Not sure if people do buy bolts in China, so I'm interested to hear about this as well. Otherwise, I would question the authenticity of well-known names at cheap prices. Sometimes, it better to source your fabric from someone you trust...

I have been saying this for a while now. When I was living in HK I befriended some fabric dealers and tailors.... it is a pretty well known "dirty little secret" among many in this area that much of the fabric in HK is in fact counterfeit. I always requested samples, did fiber and burn tests, etc. Ultimately I played it safe and got my wool directly from England. caveat emptor indeed.

Last edited:

babygreenspots

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is indeed quite hard to trust fabric suppliers from HK. Which brands appear to be counterfeited most, in your experience? Is it just the high-end like Scabal or is there fake VBC, Harrison's etc.?

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It is indeed quite hard to trust fabric suppliers from HK. Which brands appear to be counterfeited most, in your experience? Is it just the high-end like Scabal or is there fake VBC, Harrison's etc.?

In my experience, be wary of super fabrics with high thread counts, in any famous brands. Those are they dangerous one.
However, buying quality fabrics in Hong Kong does not cost significant more than in the UK.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads