• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

THE 2024 ALLEN EDMONDS (AE) APPRECIATION THREAD

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m not sure either, I‘ve got an exorbitant amount of Horween shell, none have exhibited this. I had to peel it off, it looks like an acrylic coating. I’ll have to figure out how to remove it from both pairs completely.
View attachment 2166581

That looks much better now. Not sure why it's darker in that area, but perhaps you could even that out with some brushing. I haven't experienced this yet, but it's good to know should it happen to me.

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’d say ask over in the Alden thread. They might have an idea. It’s a fairly common practice for Alden fans to remove an acrylic layer from their shell boots.
I’d read folks commenting they’d done that, so did a quick google search and found this. So, it’s what I’ll be doing since they are otherwise pretty much done.

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That looks much better now. Not sure why it's darker in that area, but perhaps you could even that out with some brushing. I haven't experienced this yet, but it's good to know should it happen to me.
I mentioned it in an earlier post. I wore a pretty heavy pair of denim that day,(22oz) and they crocked pretty good in that spot, and on the other side as well. After more thought, I suspect that is what rubbed off the finish, even though it didn’t on the other side.

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The leather on these is pretty good. Not so sure I would use veg tanned smooth leather for such a simple style. But that did.
IMG_8561.jpeg

SpallaPerfetta

Reaction score
I visited the Shoe Bank in Port Washington this weekend. Not my first trip but it’s an overwhelming feeling going in there with all the unique finds and bargains. Wanted to let you all know that they had several pairs of seconds from the trunk show - denim, green, and UV shell. I didn’t take notes of styles/sizes but if you’re looking for something this week may be a good time to give them a call.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That is a wonderful color of shell.
The white stitch must have been selected by a man because it looks like complete dog sh#t.
I’ve darkened several of those nasty white AE stitching.
Only a real man keeps the white stitching. Dark stitching is for color blind fools. (Sorry @Shoenut and @Shiner
I’d read folks commenting they’d done that, so did a quick google search and found this. So, it’s what I’ll be doing since they are otherwise pretty much done.

AE puts acrylic color correction on top just like Alden to make up for irregular shell. Looks like you’ve seen how to strip; just know there’s a good amount of variation I see under the acrylic on your pair.

SpallaPerfetta

Reaction score
I visited the Shoe Bank in Port Washington this weekend. Not my first trip but it’s an overwhelming feeling going in there with all the unique finds and bargains. Wanted to let you all know that they had several pairs of seconds from the trunk show - denim, green, and UV shell. I didn’t take notes of styles/sizes but if you’re looking for something this week may be a good time to give them a call.
I should also add that one of the AE employees in Wisconsin told me that later this year AE is releasing a “reserve collection” that will land pricewise in between the standard offerings and the shell. Sounds like the independence collection is making a comeback.

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I should also add that one of the AE employees in Wisconsin told me that later this year AE is releasing a “reserve collection” that will land pricewise in between the standard offerings and the shell. Sounds like the independence collection is making a comeback.

You're just full of exciting news. Thanks for sharing.

coolarrow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing. Any update on the Trunk show?

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Only a real man keeps the white stitching. Dark stitching is for color blind fools. (Sorry @Shoenut and @Shiner

AE puts acrylic color correction on top just like Alden to make up for irregular shell. Looks like you’ve seen how to strip; just know there’s a good amount of variation I see under the acrylic on your pair.
Yes clearly, fortunately for me, variations in shell are something I really dig. So..🤷🏾‍♂️ I suppose alls well that may eventually end well.

donkeyhoatie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've had the Gridiron on my eBay search list for quite some time. They show up occasionally, but either really beat-up or else priced excessively high with moderate wear. These are a little more worn than I'd like, and they come with some of the tiger striping issues on the right shoe that used to plague AE back in the day. But, they were less than $50 shipped and come on the underrated v-tread sole, and this pair gives me a chance to see if I like them enough to pull the trigger on a day when something much closer to unworn shows up. A couple of rounds of Bick 4 did them a fair amount of good. I'll probably have to hit them again in a couple of days and see where I want to go from there.

I really like this iteration of football grain that AE used. It's the color I think of when someone talks about football grain. I keep holding out hope that the Odenwald, that was made with the same material, will one day cross my path, but for now the Gridiron will have to suffice. I get that the grain version that was just used on the Higgins Mill uses leather that's being used now on footballs, which is darker. I always thought a football grain HM would be a no-brainer for me, but then they went and threw it on the XL sole, which is kind of a deal-breaker for me, and then the color wasn't what I was hoping for, and those 2 things made me pass on it initially. When it went to clearance, and I might have considered it, despite its shortcomings, they didn't have my size. In all, I'm A-OK with missing out on it. If I'm going to get a grain version, I'd probably rather have the weatherproof grain version with the lighter color that was released a few years ago.

Anyway, this grain footwear is scratching the itch a little bit for right now. Next up is to find a good tailor around here to hem this pair of selvedge, now that I finally got around to washing them. I'm just not a "big cuff" guy. I'd rather just have the bottom flipped up when I'm wearing a pair of boots. The search continues.

IMG_7805.jpg

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads