• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Technical Outerwear

hxh_killua

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend some brands for down jackets? I'm from Toronto so it does get cold.

(I'm not interested in Canada Goose. How are Parajumpers?)

Last edited:

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Can anyone recommend some brands for down jackets? I'm from Toronto so it does get cold.

I have a Parajumpers and like it a lot, although a lot of people think the military detailing is over the top.

All depends on the style you are looking for through.

TintoTerra

Reaction score
I always size down in veilance tops, trousers tts. I'm bigger in the shoulders as well.

Speaking of veilance. Someone sell me a size small deploy jacket.

oboy_oboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Moncler is nice, but not really that "technical" which I sort of assume is why you're in this thread, Crescent Down Works falls into this category as well--superior workmanship and materials but not really built in the technical style, and w/ many shell fabrics that are not ideal in conditions other than dry/cold (admittedly the apex of down's usage, but still...).

Nau is worth looking into. Arcteryx Veilance of course--this thread gives it a lot of love. I think Outlier makes a down vest, but maybe I'm mistaken on the fill; nice wool outer on that piece.

I'm leaving the outdoor "bigs" out since I assume you (all of us) can seek there accordingly (Patagonia, TNF, etc...)

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Nanamica maybe.

hxh_killua

Reaction score
The Arcteryx Veilance gear looks good but are you meant to layer underneath it? It looks like it wouldn't be as warm as a down jacket (and maybe that's the point, I'm honestly clueless in that regard).

fungz0r

Reaction score
the veilance insulated shell is definitely warmer than you'd think. It's synthetic fill, but unless you're standing outside in -20 for couple hours, it should be warm enough

habitant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Man, I wore my insulated field jacket in whistler a couple weeks ago, just above freezing outside, and I was ******* cold.

edit: current cold weather setup

All veilance: Graph Sweater > Insulator > Field jacket.

Last edited:

Spencer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Aether

If you want to use it to ski look at Kjus.

scamster

Reaction score

Man, I wore my insulated field jacket in whistler a couple weeks ago, just above freezing outside, and I was ******* cold.
edit: current cold weather setup
All veilance: Graph Sweater > Insulator > Field jacket.

no wonder if that's all you wore.

why would stand outside dressed like that?

you need some trousers and a good pair of boots too at the very least.

wizzeak

Reaction score

no wonder if that's all you wore.
why would stand outside dressed like that?
you need some trousers and a good pair of boots too at the very least.
to be fair IMO such an expensive piece from a brand like arcteryx should be able to keep you warm even with a just a cotton sweater especiall when its still above 0. I have a $100 parka that can keep me warm in -10 with just a thin runners polartec top and jeans

Last edited:

oboy_oboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I feel like we're getting a little off track here. This thread is about technical outerwear. There are tons on brands that make solid options that can keep you warm while waiting for the bus in a Manitoba winter. That list gets radically smaller when you filter by one of two standards: 1) Must look good enough to pass some form of SF/style-oriented test or 2) must perform in legitimate outdoor sport applications, eg, skiing, snowboarding, alpine climbing, backpacking/hiking, or whatever (trail running, etc).

Since we're here in SF, lets assume we're filtering by #1 already. And since we're in this thread, let's add #2. This is, of course, obvious, but seems maybe worth restating.

Habitant: that sucks. I've not used any Veilance gear but I'd expect more.

wizzeak

Reaction score
I totally agree but my point is Arcteryx is a very expensive and well respected outdoor brand so I would expect it to perform as such even though we are talking about it's "veilance" line which is probably more fashion oriented. I'm not saying it has to hold up to -30 with windchill and have 10000 goose down fill, but to not even keep you warm when its ABOVE 0c, that is a little pathetic. How could it possibly warrant its $1200 price tag after that? Like you said, technical outerwear should not only look good but hold up in performance to an extent. If it can't even do the latter properly then why not just buy a jacket that looks even better since you won't be missing much on the performance side?

I mean this isn't exactly the holy grail of style

Last edited:

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm so glad I don't have to deal with that kind of bullshit weather.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads