• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Technical Outerwear

sipang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also Aether apparel which afaik is kind of a highly technical line with a more regular styling

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Also Aether apparel which afaik is kind of a highly technical line with a more regular styling

added

Have I told you about the beauty of micro seam allowances, watertight zippers, laminated primaloft ?

Time for some nerdery. Here are some explanations

Lamination Technology
Arc’teryx pioneered the use of textile lamination in traditionally sewn goods. By laminating or bonding sections of material together, we are able to eliminate bulky seams, minimize weight, and create modern, aesthetic design lines. Zippers and pockets can be positioned wherever they are most effective, and not be constrained by the locations of seam junctions and gusseted sections.

Seam Allowance
Arc’teryx’s construction process is meticulous in its attention to detail. Seam tolerances are cut to an absolute minimum, reducing weight and bulk. These micro seams are therefore able to be sealed with the narrowest seam tape available further reducing bulk. The result is a smooth, flush seam that lies flat and is visually and aesthetically modern, clean and stylish.

WaterTight
2122.png
Zippers
Where it’s necessary to provide an opening or a pocket on a waterproof jacket, we have included WaterTight
2122.png
zippers, or Leakproof pocket flaps. WaterTight
2122.png
Zippers are coated with a special polyurethane coating that prevents water from penetrating the zip closure. Powder coated metal zipper pulls in tonal colours add a classic finish to the zip.

Die Cut Components
Veilance garments incorporate die-cut components in their construction process. Die-cut components provide crisp edges and clean lines that complement the minimalist, modern look of the clothing, and eliminate corners that can catch or fray. At the same time, die-cut openings can be positioned anywhere on a garment, eliminating the requirement for uneccessary seams that add weight and bulk.

Taped Fleece Seams
Fleece fabric is bulky by nature. To reduce the stacking effect of several layers of fleece overlaying each other along critical points such as seam junctions, Arc’teryx employs the use of ‘shaving’ the fleece along seam lines and at intersections. Seam tape is then applied over the shaved area to create low-profile, clean seam-lines or junctions. Seam tape also has the effect of reinforcing the seam sections to make them stronger and more durable.

also, Acronym terminology

Last edited:

Spatlese

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Related note, here is an interesting article from Outside on the membrane battles. I think I may have first come across it on sufu, but just occasionally lurk and don't post there at all.

Own Veilance, WM, and a Nanamica mac. Oh, and a Westcomb for taking out the garbage :D.

Can't justify an acronym, although I do have a messenger.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score

that's Stone Island, FW08.
Ebay uk you can find some of the stuff. Commands quite a high resale value though because they seem to have a soccer hooligan following for some reason.

sipang find me a sick m65 style parka

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Related note, here is an interesting article from Outside on the membrane battles. I think I may have first come across it on sufu, but just occasionally lurk and don't post there at all.
Own Veilance, WM, and a Nanamica mac. Oh, and a Westcomb for taking out the garbage :D.
Can't justify an acronym, although I do have a messenger.

Cool article. Another fabric I've heard of is Ventile - which I don't think is the same as eVent.

Then there are the Osti fabrics that i've been internet researching. Raso Gommato was a rubber-coated underlining. Of course, waterproof but not breathable. Also the rubber would peel away after a few wears. Ma.strum have a more practical arrangement of this which is a cotton velveteen backed by a tricot, and is waterproof.

The "carbon coated" fabrics are only water resistant, I believe. Glass fabrics, parachute ripstop...man it'd be quite easy to build a nerded out collection

Last edited:

Ivwri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cool thread idea. Wish there were more tech ninjas on SF.

Just started browsing the SUFU thread, so I dunno whether these were posted there already -

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Ivwri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On a side note, having never handled any of these brands before, is it possible to actually be a techie during the summer (outside of the occasional shower/rain storm)? I get that they all have pants that work, but what about the tops? Most of the discussion I see online all seems to focus on these large complex and/or cool looking jackets that I imagine would be unwearable with the sun out (I know this thread IS about the outerwear, but if you don't mind the digression). I have seen shirts and so on from most of these brands' collections but it seems like the whole aesthetic is lost when it comes to that. Or do the shirts have nice details with pockets/seams/fabric/modularity etc.?

The only other thing I have seen is basically stuff like the Nike x Gyakusou stuff or Umbro x Aitor Throup stuff where you essentially look like you are about to engage in some form of sport.

Last edited:

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score

On a side note, having never handled any of these brands before, is it possible to actually be a techie during the summer (outside of the occasional shower/rain storm)? I get that they all have pants that work, but what about the tops? Most of the discussion I see online all seems to focus on these large complex and/or cool looking jackets that I imagine would be unwearable with the sun out. I have seen shirts and so on from most of these brands' collections but it seems like the whole aesthetic is lost when it comes to that. Or do the shirts have nice details with pockets/seams/fabric/modularity etc.?

Some of the lightweight jackets - parachute nylon - etc are basically just sporty harringtons and can be worn in that way.

Then there's the technical blazers e.g isaora:

- I've often seen this type of thing elaborated with zips, reversible, etc etc.

TBH i think the tees an polos etc for most of the brands is a bit of a cash cow - although merino baselayer stuff is nice because it feels more breathable than cotton

snowmanxl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

On a side note, having never handled any of these brands before, is it possible to actually be a techie during the summer (outside of the occasional shower/rain storm)? I get that they all have pants that work, but what about the tops? Most of the discussion I see online all seems to focus on these large complex and/or cool looking jackets that I imagine would be unwearable with the sun out (I know this thread IS about the outerwear, but if you don't mind the digression). I have seen shirts and so on from most of these brands' collections but it seems like the whole aesthetic is lost when it comes to that. Or do the shirts have nice details with pockets/seams/fabric/modularity etc.?
The only other thing I have seen is basically stuff like the Nike x Gyakusou stuff or Umbro x Aitor Throup stuff where you essentially look like you are about to engage in some form of sport.

i actually like to wear more technical stuff (even if its lanvin/balenciaga) in the summer rather than winter.

as far as shirts go, ive only got a SISP shirt with thumb holes :slayer:!! but the inner parts of the arm are made out of a stretch material...

im looking into veilance and isa ora for button ups too.

as far as fashion-tech goes (not sure if this goes here)
Tim Coppens, Balenciaga, and Lanvin are all awesome.
the details on these are pretty cool. ssense shoudlve styled them with sneakers imo but w.e
http://www.ssense.com/men/product/lanvin/dark_olive_pants/46814

oh yeah...subscribed (for sipang) :D

Spatlese

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Re: tops, I just picked up some nanamica loopwheeled long sleeve t's (these). They're conservative in styling, but the material is cotton + coolmax, so should be good for spring and summer nights, and doesn't give off that shiny, running-top vibe.

Veilance has some nice looking tops, but I haven't picked any up yet.

KingJulien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mountain Hardware makes some really nice stuff, it's not really 'fashion-y' but frankly my goretex coat looks cool as ****. It's also really affordable.

Also don't nonnative, visvim, WM, etc fall in here?

Last edited:

GoldenTribe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How about RLBL? Or is that technical in name only?

zGrf9.jpg

l8bXn.jpg

Dghqs.jpg

yDB3e.jpg

OCjl3.jpg

yJyWB.jpg

F8QnP.jpg

Last edited:

KingJulien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some of that stuff looks pretty cool but techwear to me is "stuff you can wear to look fly while backpacking through ______ corner of the world." RLBL is much more sporty, I think, and not really designed with function in mind as far as I know.

Last edited:

Spencer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Nau seems like an obvious add.

They're there. I prefer Aether, but to each their own.

Used all 3 variations or There/they're/their

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads