• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Teach me how to bbq ribs over charcoal!!!

westinghouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KJT
I've never par-boiled ribs before... but if there's a way to make them on a weeknight in about an hour, I'm in from time to time.

Do it, it's quicker and much healthier too as you release some fat and porky aftertaste.

KJT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GrillinFool
Sorry, but preboiling, or parboiling, is not BBQ or grilling. It's cutting corners for tenderness at the cost of flavor. You are guaranteed tender and it happens in a fraction of the time and some hope to cover it up with a slathering of sauce to make it seem like they weren't boiled but they are inferior ribs to anyone taking the time to add a couple hours of smoke to the meat.

Originally Posted by westinghouse
Do it, it's quicker and much healthier too as you release some fat and porky aftertaste.

Actually tried it tonight, and just finished eating them. Pretty terrible. I'm glad to have experimented, but I will not make ribs in that style again.

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KJT
Actually tried it tonight, and just finished eating them. Pretty terrible. I'm glad to have experimented, but I will not make ribs in that style again.

Should have seen that coming.

westinghouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KJT

Boil them less next time.

KJT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jpeirpont
Should have seen that coming.
Yeah I kinda did see it coming, but I wanted to try it to see if there was an alternative to spending hours cooking them.
Boil them less next time.
Nah, there won't be a next time. Ribs done right are too good - bad ribs are just a travesty. There was no pork flavor. It looked like pork, it felt like pork, it tasted... like nothing. Normally I eat my ribs basically dry (just the rub) or with a vinegar carolina style sauce, but tonight we had to use a kc-style sauce to give it some life. Blech.

vinouspleasure

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KJT
Nah, there won't be a next time. Ribs done right are too good - bad ribs are just a travesty. There was no pork flavor. It looked like pork, it felt like pork, it tasted... like nothing. Normally I eat my ribs basically dry (just the rub) or with a vinegar carolina style sauce, but tonight we had to use a kc-style sauce to give it some life. Blech.
imo, people that parboil ribs are looking for a vehicle for sauce. But don't despair, there is a great alternative to cooking ribs for hours and it comes from one of the most famous rib shrines in the country: http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/recipe?id=6905590 I've made these ribs in a little over an hour and they are delicious.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

why'd you wanna do that?
confused.gif

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidboy
why'd you wanna do that?
confused.gif

That is the million dollar question.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
ok dumb question... so I'm gonna try out lighting our charcoal grill via a chimney... so after lighting it what happens next?

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
ok dumb question... so I'm gonna try out lighting our charcoal grill via a chimney... so after lighting it what happens next?

What do you mean? You light the bottom of the chimney, wait a while for the heat to travel and get all the coals roaring, then toss it into the grill.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
^ yeah that was the dumb part of the question, after lighting the coals, tossing it in the grill... what I do is putting all the coals in the grill, over some newspaper, and then light it up.

GrillinFool

Reaction score
Originally Posted by vinouspleasure
imo, people that parboil ribs are looking for a vehicle for sauce. But don't despair, there is a great alternative to cooking ribs for hours and it comes from one of the most famous rib shrines in the country:

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/recipe?id=6905590

I've made these ribs in a little over an hour and they are delicious.

This method is gaining in popularity. One problem. The meat needs to be like 18-24 inches above the fire. The vast majority of grills don't have that kind of elevation. Vertical bullet smokers do but that's about it.

I'm going to try this method on my infrared barrel grill and see what happens...

GrillinFool

Reaction score
^ yeah that was the dumb part of the question, after lighting the coals, tossing it in the grill... what I do is putting all the coals in the grill, over some newspaper, and then light it up.

What type of grill do you have?

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GrillinFool
What type of grill do you have?

just a regular generic clam shaped grill. I think I've only used it, like maybe 5 times.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads