• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Teach me how to bbq ribs over charcoal!!!

GrillinFool

Reaction score
Originally Posted by westinghouse
Royal Oak is natural lump hardwood and burns alot hotter and faster than pressed charcoal like Kingsford/Match Light. If it's your first time using it, better be prepared to order Chinese takeout instead.

This is absolutely true. This is why Temp control is the most important aspect of grilling. It's OK to cook hot and fast, so limit the fuel and get the temp stable before you put the meat on...

westinghouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The easiest, most fail safe way to do it is to boil the ribs in water for 20 minutes than sear over hot coals until well done and crispy. No need to smoke ribs for hours unless you're from the deep south and fancy tradition.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The most flavorless, most fail way to do it is to boil the ribs in water for 20 minutes than sear over hot coals until well done and crispy. No need to smoke ribs for hours unless you're from the deep south and fancy tradition.

FTFY

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i slow cook them 2-3 hrs in the oven at 250 degrees with a dry rub of mustard powder, onion and garlic powder, cayenne, chili powder cumin salt and pepper. I make a simple sauce with one clove garlic, 1 cup catsup, 1/2 cup red wine vinegar and brown sugar, salt, cayenne, pepper and a bit of olive oil. once out of the oven, I cook the ribs on charcoal in foil until the last 10 minutes to get some added char. i sauce them too at this point.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thekunk07
i slow cook them 2-3 hrs in the oven at 250 degrees with a dry rub of mustard powder, onion and garlic powder, cayenne, chili powder cumin salt and pepper. I make a simple sauce with one clove garlic, 1 cup catsup, 1/2 cup red wine vinegar and brown sugar, salt, cayenne, pepper and a bit of olive oil. once out of the oven, I cook the ribs on charcoal in foil until the last 10 minutes to get some added char. i sauce them too at this point.

whatever happend to your suace being bottled/sold? Did they see that pic of you that is in my avatar and got scared off?

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^no, lol. One of my clients is getting it into production for end of summer, but it's different from the sauce above. It's more of a traditional sweet sauce.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
anywhere, it's a meme ya know

a-rock

Reaction score
The easiest, most fail safe way to do it is to boil the ribs in water for 20 minutes than sear over hot coals until well done and crispy. No need to smoke ribs for hours unless you're from the deep south and fancy tradition.

Just don't dare call your ribs barbecue. BBQ means slow cooked with smoke. Boilin' n Grillin' is not BBQ.

westinghouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Grilling tastes just fine if you know what you're doing as does barbecue.

GrillinFool

Reaction score
Grilling tastes just fine if you know what you're doing as does barbecue.

Sorry, but preboiling, or parboiling, is not BBQ or grilling. It's cutting corners for tenderness at the cost of flavor. You are guaranteed tender and it happens in a fraction of the time and some hope to cover it up with a slathering of sauce to make it seem like they weren't boiled but they are inferior ribs to anyone taking the time to add a couple hours of smoke to the meat. Bad BBQ restaurants use this method to save time and hope their sauce compensates for poorly prepared meat. They will make a living as some folks just care about sauce and tender and don't want the many levels of flavor properly cooked ribs produce...

But thats just me... What the hell do I know? Earlier some guy on here told me that the only way to tell doneness was to jam my finger into the meat. Evidently I don't know what the hell I'm doing...

KJT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GrillinFool
Sorry, but preboiling, or parboiling, is not BBQ or grilling. It's cutting corners for tenderness at the cost of flavor. You are guaranteed tender and it happens in a fraction of the time and some hope to cover it up with a slathering of sauce to make it seem like they weren't boiled but they are inferior ribs to anyone taking the time to add a couple hours of smoke to the meat. Bad BBQ restaurants use this method to save time and hope their sauce compensates for poorly prepared meat. They will make a living as some folks just care about sauce and tender and don't want the many levels of flavor properly cooked ribs produce...

But thats just me... What the hell do I know? Earlier some guy on here told me that the only way to tell doneness was to jam my finger into the meat. Evidently I don't know what the hell I'm doing...

Just a thought - what if I vaccuum seal the ribs before boiling? Obviously there won't be the flavor from the smoke, but it'll at least contain some of the lost flavor.

I've never par-boiled ribs before... but if there's a way to make them on a weeknight in about an hour, I'm in from time to time.

GrillinFool

Reaction score
Originally Posted by KJT
Just a thought - what if I vaccuum seal the ribs before boiling? Obviously there won't be the flavor from the smoke, but it'll at least contain some of the lost flavor.

I've never par-boiled ribs before... but if there's a way to make them on a weeknight in about an hour, I'm in from time to time.

I make them on a weeknight all the time in 2 hours. I have my buddies over for MNF. I throw the ribs on at 6 at 275-300, we eat at halftime.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads