• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Teach me how to bbq ribs over charcoal!!!

mrgoblueguy

Reaction score
I just purchased a new charcoal grill and want to bbq some ribs on it. I have never made ribs before and googled some info and came up with a ton of stuff. I am looking for any info you can give me and tips you guys have used. Is regular charcoal ok or do I need cowboy charcoal? What about smoking chips? Should I use bbq sauce or just some simple spices? How do I know they are done? I appreciate all the help!!!

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't do them over direct heat (put two piles of charcoal on the sides and leave the middle empty). Put some oil and a good rub on them. Do them for about 4 hours at about 250 degrees. Put bbq sauce at the end (I put sauce on one side, 3 minutes, flip and sauce the other side, 3 minutes, flip and sauce the first side again, 3 minutes, flip and sauce the second side).

There are a couple ways to know when they are done. 1) when you can clearly see the tips of the ribs; or (2) if you grab the middle of the rack with tongs the sides bend to the point where the meat is about to break.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by odoreater
Don't do them over direct heat (put two piles of charcoal on the sides and leave the middle empty). Put some oil and a good rub on them. Do them for about 4 hours at about 250 degrees. Put bbq sauce at the end (I put sauce on one side, 3 minutes, flip and sauce the other side, 3 minutes, flip and sauce the first side again, 3 minutes, flip and sauce the second side).

There are a couple ways to know when they are done. 1) when you can clearly see the tips of the ribs; or (2) if you grab the middle of the rack with tongs the sides bend to the point where the meat is about to break.

pretty much agree with everything here except I don't use sauce and I would add some wet wood chips to your charcoal (use the hardwood Cowboy type).

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I would only modify and add a couple things from OE's post. No oil. Do not keep lifting the cover; keep all moisture in you can. Spritz with apple juice when you do check or when you flip them.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I use a minimal amount of oil, just to get the rub to really stay on there. Also, I try to leave them sitting with the rub on them for as long as possible, up to overnight even if you can wait that long.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
here added: the real trick, as far as i'm concerned, is making sure you remove the silverskin from the underside of the ribs. that makes the difference between tough meat and tender.

A.K.A.

Reaction score
Peel the fascia from the ribs, which is a clear membrane. Trim excess fat. There are three types of pork ribs: St. Louis, Full rack, and baby backs.

Rub ribs with a spice mixture and wrap tightly in plastic wrap the day before.

Day of grilling: take ribs out of fridge and let sit unwrapped for an hour to come to room temp.

Use about 50 charcoal briquets for the fire. Start in a charcoal chimney and let them burn until covered with a fine gray ash. Then stack coals on one side of grill, opposite of vent outlets in the hood. Soak 1/4 Cup wood chips in water while coals are starting.

Place a pan of water with some cider vinegar under the grate, opposite the stack of coals. Close the cover and let the grill come to temperature for 5 min, about 250 - 275 (no higher).

When grill is at temp. place ribs on grate over pan of water. Flip ribs and rotate side toward fire every half hour. Adjust cover vents to maintain temperature. Add lit coals as needed. This is why a charcoal chimney is worth the $15 investment. Keep cooking until the ribs will easily pull apart. This can take 6 or more hours. Don't let the temp exceed 250 - 275 F! Too hot and everything burns.

PS - subscribe on line to either Cooks Illustrated.com or Cook's country.com.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by foodguy
here
added: the real trick, as far as i'm concerned, is making sure you remove the silverskin from the underside of the ribs. that makes the difference between tough meat and tender.

So much of cooking meat is good trimming.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I thought it goes without saying that you would trim the membrane off.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Lots of good advice in here.

Also to add to Ed's advice on lump/hardwood charcoal - I recommend starting the coals with a chimney, rather than lighter fluid. It avoids that nasty gas flavor/smell, and it allows you to easily replenish the coals when they start to cool (which is inevitable if you're doing it right and taking your time).

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrG
Also to add to Ed's advice on lump/hardwood charcoal - I recommend starting the coals with a chimney, rather than lighter fluid. It avoids that nasty gas flavor/smell, and it allows you to easily replenish the coals when they start to cool (which is inevitable if you're doing it right and taking your time).

+1,000 ... i dont' understand people who don't use chimneys. one thing about lump/hardwood, though, you're probably going to need to refill. they tend to burn a little hotter, but a lot faster (and a lot cleaner) than briquettes. personally, i use a good brand of briquettes for ribs. ymmv.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Forgot the membrane part too. Use a butter knife. Stick the blunt end under and work it off.

There is quite some contention about when to put the rub on in "que" circles. Some maintain it essentially starts to cure (hamify, if you will) the ribs and leads to a different taste. Also, some folks maintain it will remove moisture from the meat.

Here is a Pork Rib 101 from a multi-award winning guy on the "que" circuit: http://www.cookshack.com/pork-ribs-101

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by odoreater
Oh yeah, one more thing, bbq ribs are ******* awesome.

Hells yeah.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads