• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sunglasses MEGATHREAD - all sunglass questions here please

Mr M

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm new here. Here are my daily glasses not including others that I have but seldom use. Next will be Oakley Pit Boss 2 with prescription lenses.

Oakley X-metal juliet with prescription lenses. Polarized black iridium.

Not a sunglasses. Tom Ford TF5146.

Jeff

Reaction score
I received these sunglasses, in black, for free from Ezekiel through a Facebook promotion. They were stolen while I was visiting a friend at college, so I'm looking for a cheap replacement with a similar or Clubmaster style. Ezekiel no longer sells them. Price: Under $50 for sure, preferably under $30. Thanks guys.

edit: I'm thinking about ordering these two and hoping that one/both of them don't suck. Thoughts?
ASOS Clubmaster
River Island Clubmaster

Last edited:

mr usneun

Reaction score
I received these sunglasses, in black, for free from Ezekiel through a Facebook promotion. They were stolen while I was visiting a friend at college, so I'm looking for a cheap replacement with a similar Clubmaster style, i.e. horned rim with nose pads. Ezekiel no longer sells them. Price: Under $50 for sure, preferably under $30. Thanks guys.

edit: I'm thinking about ordering these two and hoping that one/both of them don't suck. Thoughts?
ASOS Clubmaster
River Island Clubmaster

so you want clubmasters or the ones you posted?

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If I had to make a bet, the ones you posted are going to suck. Invest in some decent shades... and if you like the Clubmaster shape and style there are plenty of affordable options.

Jeff

Reaction score
If I had to make a bet, the ones you posted are going to suck. Invest in some decent shades... and if you like the Clubmaster shape and style there are plenty of affordable options.

Do you have any recommendations around $50 or less? My free Ezekiel shades felt incredibly sturdy; I have no idea how much I would need to pay for similar quality.

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Do you have any recommendations around $50 or less? My free Ezekiel shades felt incredibly sturdy; I have no idea how much I would need to pay for similar quality.

I'll see what I can dig up recommendation-wise. But you really need to consider do you just want sunglasses that look cool, or do you want sunglasses that actually serve the function of protecting your eyes while providing better visual clarity... with the added bonus of looking cool as well. I don't mean to sound snarky, but there is a vast difference between fashion sunglasses (think mall kiosk), very good sunglasses (Ray Ban, Mosley Tribes, Randolph, Salt perhaps), "luxury" sunglasses (Gucci, D&G, Chanel etc.) and luxurious sunglasses that are really well made and designed (Sama, Persol, Illesteva, Oliver Peoples, Barton Perriera). I don't hold out this grouping as definitive by any means, but you get the idea. anyway.... just my two cents.

mr usneun

Reaction score
I'll see what I can dig up recommendation-wise. But you really need to consider do you just want sunglasses that look cool, or do you want sunglasses that actually serve the function of protecting your eyes while providing better visual clarity... with the added bonus of looking cool as well. I don't mean to sound snarky, but there is a vast difference between fashion sunglasses (think mall kiosk), very good sunglasses (Ray Ban, Mosley Tribes, Randolph, Salt perhaps), "luxury" sunglasses (Gucci, D&G, Chanel etc.) and luxurious sunglasses that are really well made and designed (Sama, Persol, Illesteva, Oliver Peoples, Barton Perriera). I don't hold out this grouping as definitive by any means, but you get the idea. anyway.... just my two cents.

true. a couple of years ago I had cheap Clubmaster fakes..those you get for 10 bucks. Apart of the cheap build quality I heard that cheap lenses aren't that save against UV light, which made me rethink what to buy and how much to spend. So I went for the original RB Clubmasters, they were made better and I felt saver now because I knew my eyes won't get hurt in direct sunlight. Then I found Persol very interesting and their quality is simply amazing. I have 3 pairs now and I accidentally dropped one on concrete, they survived without any cracks or so. Very good ones. My latest pair is a Selima and they have a similar build quality, looks like it can't get any better.

So to cut a long story short, as long as you don't drop them 5 times a day, I would invest in a decent pair any day, also your eyes may thank you in the future. :)

shurgen

Reaction score
Somehow I've managed to go 22 years without ever owning sunglasses, and looking to purchase my first pair. I've got a small/oval-shaped asian face and I'm deciding between the Rayban clubmaster ii's (RB2156) and the Tom Ford Henry's. Both clubmaster style frames but not sure whether or not it's worth ~3x the price for the Tom Ford's, or if they'll be too big for my face.

Anyone have any comment on either of those sunglasses?

nightic

Reaction score

Somehow I've managed to go 22 years without ever owning sunglasses, and looking to purchase my first pair. I've got a small/oval-shaped asian face and I'm deciding between the Rayban clubmaster ii's (RB2156) and the Tom Ford Henry's. Both clubmaster style frames but not sure whether or not it's worth ~3x the price for the Tom Ford's, or if they'll be too big for my face.

Anyone have any comment on either of those sunglasses?

I hate to break it to you but modern Ray Ban (Luxottica) quality is bad enough, especially for the price but I'm afraid Tom Ford (manufactured under license by Marcolin) provides even worse value, considering their outrageous and completed unjustified retail cost.
Also, don't buy the "Made in Italy" labeling on either - it's widely thought that only the parts assembly takes place there.
There are much higher quality products available from independent brands out there for the same money.

For a more diminutive face (assuming you're not after an over-sized sunglasses look), you may be better off selecting a Clubmaster/Ronsir style eyeglass frame (which on the whole are sized smaller) and having them glazed with non-prescription tinted lenses.

Last edited:

leeba

Reaction score
^
Do you happen to have any recs for other clubmaster-esque styles from better brands at a moderate price range?

Last edited:

nightic

Reaction score

^
Do you happen to have any recs for other clubmaster-esque styles from better brands at a moderate price range? 

For about Tom Ford money, I'd instead buy a pair of SALT Optics 'Harlan' (also available as optical frames).
These are in hand-made Acetate & Titanium, have Polarised lenses and they're are a slightly squared off shape, which I prefer (akin to Ray Ban model RB4190).

http://www.saltoptics.com/detail.php?categoryid=2&id=218&pageindex=15&orderby=1

Or, if you prefer the classic look, go for the originals (although I have no personal experience with Shuron so can't attest to their quality):

http://www.shuron.com/ronsir_zyl.htm

Last edited:

mr usneun

Reaction score
^

maybe check out some local high end sellers. A seller whose entry level glasses are persols, top range to something rare to barton perreira. those guys know literally any brand and all their styles.
i would invest $150 for glasses any day.

goldenbear

Reaction score
Out of curiosity, has anyone tried these Wayfarers:

The lens looks sort of greenish. How do they match with other clothing? i.e., maybe a blue shirt and stone chinos?

Last edited:

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've looked.... it's really hard to find anything in that price range.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bettyefts