• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sunglasses MEGATHREAD - all sunglass questions here please

mr usneun

Reaction score
Aviators and Serengeti are your go. The wayfarers are a bit 'out of your age'. If you want that classy look that you can wear to a suit and to, let's say, shorts on the beach, those are yours.

Vicious49

Reaction score
Thanks Mr.Usneum. I've already packed up the RayBan RB3379 to send back. Might do the same with the Wayfarers when they arrive. The RE Aviators are a definite keeper. The 1 thing that concerns me about the Serengeti's is that it's not a glass lens.

1. In your experience, have you noticed that a glass lens seems more accurate or clear than plastic or polycarbonate lens? Or is that all in my head?

2. I've never heard of Serengeti before. Are they considered a good brand. Their MSRP is certainly up there but that doesn't always equate to equality.

ajk170

Reaction score
Those two looks are really close and the fit is what matters - the RBs have a bit more more flash than the others. Good to see you land on one that you like and looks good for you!

mr usneun

Reaction score

1. In your experience, have you noticed that a glass lens seems more accurate or clear than plastic or polycarbonate lens? Or is that all in my head?

2. I've never heard of Serengeti before. Are they considered a good brand. Their MSRP is certainly up there but that doesn't always equate to equality.

To 1. Since I do have to wear contact-lenses, I can't really talk about the clarity or the build quality while looking through the shades. What I do know is that plastic lenses are more vulnerable for scratches than glass lenses. I heard that only materials harder than glass can actually scratch glass and plastic is very Weak.

To 2.
However Serengeti looks like a brand with quality and knowledge. If you think they 'feel' / are up their price, why not keep it?

Also, now that you have 2 shades you won't scratch any of them in the near future soon. I myself have 6 pairs of high quality shades and they all look like new!

Vicious49

Reaction score
I'll probably wear the RE Aviators mostly for driving. I love how the brown lens isn't too dark, even when it's cloudy out. It I'll wear the Serengeti's for most other things since it has a photochromic lens that should adjust to the light conditions.

I might still try the Wayfarers in a tortoise shell and see how those look. But I do see what you mean about those maybe not being age appropriate.

Vicious49

Reaction score
Just noticed no one has posted in here for almost 2 weeks now. I saw a really good deal on some matte Havana Wayfarers so I decided to give it a shot. I was shocked when I opened the box and they were polarized and made in Italy. Not sure if the Italy thing matters at all outside of resale value.

OmniscientCause

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hate buying relatively expensive sunglasses that are not polarized...what is the cost difference and if you have lenses on sunglasses is there some place you can send them away and have the glass replaced?

I bought some moscot miltzens on ebay, which I love, but really wanted them in the green lenses and polarized...neither of which were an option.

Tsujigiri

Reaction score
Hi guys! I'm an avid sunglass collector and I've put together a collection of pieces over the years. I have a bunch of others not in the picture, but here are my favorites that I will most likely hold on to:

Going down the columns from left to right: Mykita Icco, Mykita Carlos, Mykita Herbie, Mykita Pierce. Randolph Engineering Aviator, Gold & Wood H09, Morgenthal Frederics Stealth Horn, Cutler and Gross 0734. Loree Rodkin by Sama Hunter, L.G.R. Massawa, Oliver Peoples Benedict 59, IC! Berlin Wladimir P.

Tsujigiri

Reaction score
You probably won't find that model on sale. You can sometimes get the gold and grey ones discounted through military surplus, as I did for mine. This has an added bonus that the lenses do not have the etched logo on them (I prefer to have no outwardly visible logos on my sunglasses).

Spencer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Anybody if Randolph Engineering sunglasses can be had on sale? Looking for bright chrome grey polarized ones.

RE are often on Gilt

choppington88

Reaction score
Just bought a pair of Persol 649 sunglasses, I'm considering returning them and going with one of these Cartier pairs:

I don't really trust my judgement since I know very little about what's considered 'good' design with sunglasses. I tried on both of the Cartier pairs and they both fit well, the one on the right might have been a little small for my face.

Anyway, I haven't heard too much about these specific models so I'm assuming they aren't too popular. Any opinions?

mr usneun

Reaction score
Persol 649s are a classic. Those look like F1 Racing glasses.

Spencer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seriously, couldn't be any more different. Not sure how either look on you, but the Persols are classic, those look like some slap dick Euro trash glasses.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads