• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MSTRKRFT

Reaction score
We are getting way off-track. I'd greatly appreciate some more feedback from SS's suits. I have been exploring several Napoli fit suits. I believe the Washington is too trendy with the peak lapels 1/2 third button (hole on the lapel). Anyone else feel this way about the washington?

I agree - it is a bit fashion forward with peak lapels, etc. (although it was apparently a standard in the past? Correct me if I am wrong, just started learning/buying a suit). You can't really go wrong with notch lapels. Wish I had the opportunity to go to the actual store and try on a bunch of different suits. Getting a suit for the first time, and esp. online is a real hit or miss (most often a miss). The quality seems good for the price though (for 299 euros, I don't have high expectations), at least in my eyes, but don't take my word for it, since I have null experience with suits.

I'm not a peak lapel person, but the 3/2 roll is pretty traditionally American, even if trendy right now. A Lazio model blue linen suit should arrive at my place tomorrow. I'll post some pictures when it does since I haven't seen that cut talked about much

Looking forward to the pictures. I was considering the Lazio model, since it seems like it would fit me better. Unfortunately, in that model, they don't have too many options currently (simple navy suit). I just took it to a local tailor, and she will make some adjustments -- hopefully she doesn't butcher it (she kind of has to take it apart since it wasn't perfect on me).

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
They had some nice three buttons with a notch lapel when I was in the NYC shop, I think the model was named 'jort' but you can't seem to get them online so I don't know if that means they were an old model, a brand new model, or they only ever put select models available online.

Anyway I agree that the Washington combination of peak lapels, three roll two buttons and ticket pocket is too much of a mish mash of styles for my liking. Would prefer a hard three like the jort but they didn't have a very good selection of colours and sizes in the shop. Might be back again for a closer look in May.

CousinDonuts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here is my new navy Napoli suit, just back from the tailor. I had him take in the waist and hips on the jacket. The taper of the pants looks odd around the thighs/knees because I came to a stop right before the timer went off and it caught a weird angle.

(jacket before tailoring http://www.styleforum.net/t/250682/suitsupply-nyc/60_20#post_5327541 )

Last edited:

MSTRKRFT

Reaction score
Looks great! Maybe it is just the posture/shot but it seems to "pull" on the waist -- is it too tight or just right?

Here is my new navy Napoli suit, just back from the tailor. I had him take in the waist and hips on the jacket. The taper of the pants looks odd around the thighs/knees because I came to a stop right before the timer went off and it caught a weird angle.

(jacket before tailoring http://www.styleforum.net/t/250682/suitsupply-nyc/60_20#post_5327541 )

Sigmax

Reaction score
I just tried on my navy blue Napoli fit suit which is the first Suitsupply suit I have tried on. Here are my observations:

-Kudos to the earlier poster that clued me in to the fact their sizing is a bit generous. I wear a 42s on a Hickey Freeman Madison but down sized to a 40s and the fit is about perfect. Do take advantage of the sizing information on their website and email customer service. Some of the figures on the website are way off also.

-Button stance- maybe it is just me but I do not find the button stance to be that different then other suits I have. Maybe slightly higher then my Hickey Freeman's but nothing to write home about. I think this has been a bit over blown or at least it does not affect me.

-Pants- the pants are a slimmer fit, but not anything close to being uncomfortable. Slightly higher rise also, but just slightly.

-Material is good quality and has a good hand for a 110 weight.

-Even with a short I will need the sleeves taken in but just very very slightly and will not affect the working cuffs.

-Pic stitching is well done and not as in your face as I feared. comes off well.

-Suit is 1/2 canvas and generally much better quality then most anything in the price range for $469 out the door at the stores around here. Especially for a basic color like Navy. Maybe it can be found on sale or on ebay but would require some work, timing, and/or luck.

dieselman89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We are getting way off-track. I'd greatly appreciate some more feedback from SS's suits. I have been exploring several Napoli fit suits. I believe the Washington is too trendy with the peak lapels 1/2 third button (hole on the lapel). Anyone else feel this way about the washington?

I'm not a peak lapel person, but the 3/2 roll is pretty traditionally American, even if trendy right now. A Lazio model blue linen suit should arrive at my place tomorrow. I'll post some pictures when it does since I haven't seen that cut talked about much
Don't you think the peak lapels and 3/2 roll are too trendy for a workplace? I feel like the washington is more of a trendy suit that a workplace suit. I guess I would order one of each and ship whicever back that I do not like.

dieselman89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This looks awesome! your tailor did a wonderful job. How much did he charge you? Also, what model number is this suit? Details on tie please. Thank you

p.s. I typically wear a 38R should I really size down to a 36? That seems kind of crazy to me.

Last edited:

Sigmax

Reaction score
Don't you think the peak lapels and 3/2 roll are too trendy for a workplace? I feel like the washington is more of a trendy suit that a workplace suit. I guess I would order one of each and ship whicever back that I do not like.

I thought that too but I think I am coming around. If it is for a round of interviews probably, maybe even in some banking settings, but I just had a meeting with a CIO and CEO of a tech/manufacturing company who were both wearing peak lapels and ticket pockets on their custom made suits. Same for a Cisco rep I sat through a meeting with.

Maybe we make too much out of peak lapels, frankly, I do not think most people even notice them. And I doubt anyone without the sharpest sartorial eye would even see the 3/2 roll. In the end it is which style you are most comfortable wearing & have the most confidence in. Your tailor can generally take care of the rest. I am very much thinking of ordering a washington fit for my next mid grey suit, just to have some fun.

Last edited:

hookem12387

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The peak element, yes. The 3/2 element, no. The suit as a whole, yes. But I don't like peak lapels, anyhow.

TauKappaEpsilon

Reaction score
Ordering this jacket later today. Typically I'm a size 36r, however, on a few jackets the shoulders on the 36 regular are slightly big. Do the Washington fit jackets fit true to size, or should I size down to a 35? If I size down to a 35 the sleeve length will be a 32.7 and my shirt sleeve length is a 34. Is this to short? Also, does anyone know what these buttons are made from?

lagsun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ordering this jacket later today.  Typically I'm a size 36r, however, on a few jackets the shoulders on the 36 regular are slightly big.  Do the Washington fit jackets fit true to size, or should I size down to a 35?  If I size down to a 35 the sleeve length will be a 32.7 and my shirt sleeve length is a 34.  Is this to short?  Also, does anyone know what these buttons are made from?

Have you tried emailing customer service? They do reply...eventually. Good luck.

CousinDonuts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This looks awesome! your tailor did a wonderful job. How much did he charge you? Also, what model number is this suit? Details on tie please. Thank you
p.s. I typically wear a 38R should I really size down to a 36? That seems kind of crazy to me.

The tailor nipped the waist and hips (starting from just below the armpit) and hemmed the pants. The total was $77 for the service. He's not the cheapest in town but does good work. I have another guy would be about $60-70 for the same items.

This is the suit.

The tie is from Banana Republic, circa 2009. It's navy with small blue dots. There is a closer picture of it on the WAYWRN thread.

I tend to wear a 38 or 39, sometimes a 40 (but less and less a 40 as I learn more about fit). I'd bet you're ok with the 38.

The whole peak lapel thing to me is an environmental discussion. It all depends on where you're wearing it. I work with medium sized businesses in the Midwest and I wouldn't dare wear a Tom Ford-esque peak lapel, especially with a manufacturing or trucking company. But when I meet with slightly larger companies, those where the execs are typically wearing sportcoats or maybe suits also, then I may bust out some more fashionable accessories, like the dub monks, a "poofed" pocket square (vs straight white). My viewpoints is completely different here than if I was working in NYC or LA.

Last edited:

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score

im expecting a delivery of some trous from suit supply.....ive looked for some white slim pants for far too long, and these looked like theyd fit the bill pretty well. I hate buying pants without trying them on, so heres hoping they work out ok. Ill post a report/review after i get into them.

pants came yesterday...i ordered a 34R...first impression...these things mustve been made for manut bol. Im 6'2" and was worried the regular length would be too short.... The inseam is 37". fabric is decent enough for cotton. however, they look more cream than white to me. my wife says theyre white...but she married me so her eyesight must be ****. construction seems decent as well. similar to mabitex. Kinda pissed because one of the buttons is hanging on by a thread and ill have to resew that on too. For $130, and pre-hemmed regular length, i expected to be able to wear them today. no dice. now i have to pay $20 more to have them hemmed to a wearable length. plus 8 bucks for a resewn button if im too lazy to do it myself.

now, had they been shipped and been wearable out of the box, i wouldve been happy...happier. but i think $160 for mediocre cotton trousers is stupid.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads