• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suit without tie guidelines?

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^ Bad. Ass.

Orsini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bentley
Would a button-down collar work with this look and simultaneously serve the purpose of keeping the collar inside the jacket?
The button-down is not nearly so subject to that nasty roll-under...

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Politics aside, Obama does it pretty well.
barack-obama-18.jpg

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cptjeff

barack-obama-18.jpg

Really? I would disagree. I mean, I can understand why he does it, but I always feel like something's missing when he's wearing a jacket with no tie.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Felix Krull
With all due respect to Mr. Brosnan, this look is for pimps and gigolos. Unless you're as cool as this guy:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us then the tie-less look is not for you!

That's not a suit.

Orsini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Felix Krull
With all due respect to Mr. Brosnan, this look is for pimps and gigolos. Unless you're as cool as this guy: Uploaded with ImageShack.us then the tie-less look is not for you!
Just to comment on the photo, rather than the text of the post, remember that in To Catch a Theft, in this scene, Mr. Grant's character is at a beach resort during the day in the mid 1950's about to call on a lady fair (day resort romantic social). You can also see he is also wearing an ascot or neckercheif and, thus, his neck is not exposed. And note that the waistband is not exposed and that there is plenty of material in those slacks. So, Mr. Grant's character is not breaking any sartorial rules of the day, but demonstrating their proper application by a gentleman of his age and class to project the desired image for this particular venue. Mr. Grant was quite well turned out in this film (as usual.) and sports several looks that the boulevardier could copy today with confidence. This looked good in 1955, it looks good now, and it will look good for as long as Orsini is ambulatory. This is why, for Orsini, it is not necessary to break new ground, but only to look to the past and try to emulate the masters. And to loose some weight, of course...

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Orsini
Just to comment on the photo, rather than the text of the post, remember that in To Catch a Theft, in this scene, Mr. Grant's character is at a beach resort during the day in the mid 1950's about to call on a lady faire (day resort romantic social). You can also see he is also wearing an ascot or neckercheif and, thus, his neck is not exposed. And note that the waistband is not exposed and that there is plenty of material in those slacks.

So, Mr. Grant's character is not breaking any sartorial rules of the day, but demonstrating their proper application by a gentleman of his age and class to project the desired image for this particular venue.

Mr. Grant was quite well turned out in this film (as usual.) and sports several looks that the boulevardier could copy today with confidence.

This looked good in 1955, it looks good now, and it will look good for as long as Orsini is ambulatory.

This is why, for Orsini, it is not necessary to break new ground, but only to look to the past and try to emulate the masters. And to loose some weight, of course...

I disagree that wearing trousers up to the middle button on a 3b jacket looks current today.

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Metlin
Really? I would disagree. I mean, I can understand why he does it, but I always feel like something's missing when he's wearing a jacket with no tie.

No, you're just mistaking the "something missing" from his speech to be something missing from his outfit.

But, like you said, his intentions are obvious, a tie is a bourgeois accessory not needed by a man of the people who wants to give away other people's money in order to win a second term (hey, I never promised to keep politics out of it
wink.gif
).

Merlino

Reaction score
Originally Posted by spitfirees20
It's funny how suave and stylish Brad Pitt is supposed to look in this movie, but to anybody with even a hint of what to look for knows that his suit looks like a god damn train wreck. It's sad how the majority of the population will see nothing wrong with his outfit.

You have to bear in mind Pitt's playing a character in a movie. The character he's playing typically wouldn't have the first clue about sartorial elegance, so it wouldn't make sense for the costume designers to dress him in Savile Row head-to-toe. In addition, he's supposed to look Vegas suave

Another example, it'd look really weird if the cops on Law & Order or some other police show would be dressed well. Cops on shows are supposed to be dressed sloppy with one button undone and a tie not tied properly.

AHDK

Reaction score
For me it depends on the situation.

If I am going to a after dinner party with some fine dining, then surely it would be with tie.

If I am going to a casual bar for a relaxed drink, then I would leave the tie at home.

In my humble opinion its good to be well dressed for the occasion, but one also has to not be too "dressed".
smile.gif

dieselman89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Orsini
The "rule" would be to wear a tie.

I agree. Although the suit w/no tie look is becoming a little more chic, at the end of the day most my shirt collars will not stand up to where it looks good. Also, I think the tie is such an added piece to the wardrobe/suit. A tie can make or break an outfit. Also, I think the tie looks sharper and more professional.

dieselman89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cptjeff

barack-obama-18.jpg

Yea........ NO! He is awful. He needs a tie. First off he is the President, he should wear a tie and take time to look good. Not like some schlump which is what he looks like in this picture.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dieselman89
Yea........ NO! He is awful. He needs a tie. First off he is the President, he should wear a tie and take time to look good. Not like some schlump which is what he looks like in this picture.

So you're already prejudiced to believe that no tie automatically looks bad, and that a tie is necessary for proprietary? Remind me why you clicked on this thread again?

Orsini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TimelesStyle
I disagree that wearing trousers up to the middle button on a 3b jacket looks current today.
I didn't say it looked "current." I said it "looked good." edit: To Orsini, "current" is irrelevant. Except when is is not, of course...

Orsini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dieselman89
I agree. Although the suit w/no tie look is becoming a little more chic, at the end of the day most my shirt collars will not stand up to where it looks good. Also, I think the tie is such an added piece to the wardrobe/suit. A tie can make or break an outfit. Also, I think the tie looks sharper and more professional.
My original post was an observation, not a judgment. Assuming this look were intended for evening romantic social (remember, it is a character in a photoplay), Orsini simply has no reason to want to do this. For this venue, if Orsini had the budget and the figure, he would do this: http://asuitablewardrobe.dynend.com/...ing-dress.html

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads