• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suit without tie guidelines?

shilleck

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Clooney always looks good in a suit plus movie star's are the only ones worthy of wearing a suit without tie, lesser mortals would just look silly.

Romeomikehotel

Reaction score
I'm going to revive this old thread in the hopes of possibly clarifying this question with my personal experience.

Ill start with the fact that I wear a suit to work every day of the week. In addition, every day I do not wear a tie. This is due to two factors completely unrelated to style but I think one of them ties (hah) back into the style discussion well. First, on a daily basis I don't like the feeling of the top button being closed or a tie around my neck which in hot Fl weather is most unpleasant. And secondly, and this is important, (I'm a fiancial advisor) I've had clients and prospective clients tell me that they like that I don't wear a tie as it makes them feel comfortable. Originally I used this reason as justification for not wearing a tie because I just didn't like to, (I'm just learning to become style conscious, in the past I've been all about comfort) now I do it as I feel the choice affects my income.

Those two reasons are why I do not and will not wear a tie with a suit on the large majority of occasions. That being said, neither of those reasons are related to style and when it comes to what I think looks best, I'll readily admit that a well executed suit, shirt & tie combination blows my day-to-day look right out of the water in my opinion. Now though that I have been paying more attention to style it has brought me to a dilemma or, maybe, a hypothesis; is style, like the English language, something that can adapt and change definitions over time based on commonly accepted practices or is it something concrete and defined which must be worked towards attaining?

From what I have seen, the suit and no tie look is becoming much more popular among all industries which still require suits as day-to-day attire. Which begs the question, is this now the new style or is this an abhoration of what style really is and should be? As far as an answer I don't have one but I do know that people have told me how my style choices affect how they feel which is what I will continue to base my daily attire on. That said, a full suit and tie at its best will always looks better than a suit and no tie at its best, in my opinion.

circumspice

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is not a forgiving look. George Clooney can do it because he looks like George Clooney.

I work in high tech, and some Californian tech executives like this look.... they don't look, but more importantly, are not built like Clooney.

If you are carrying extra weight, the reality is that an unbuttoned suit with no tie tends to make you look disheveled, not suave.

If you are willing to experiment, I'd propose acquiring a navy and black silk knit ties - it would be interesting to see if you got different reactions. Knits are useful in that they easily slide up and down the spectrum of formality, especially in these two colors.

That all said, the general trend is men's clothing for a very long time has been towards less formality. DWW lays that out very well in this post - you may want to subscribe to that thread if you haven't already

https://www.styleforum.net/threads/...t-ii-a-new-hope.480819/page-1245#post-8879348

aj805

Reaction score
The many reasons to go tie-less today are understandable; but if you aren't going to wear that tie, then why wear a suit? To me, a tie is part of a suit. So, wear a SC and trousers instead, it's simple.

Even George Clooney doesn't escape that sensibility--he'd look better tie-less in a sport coat.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've seen more European dudes pulling off a Spring/Summer more casual suit with a nice polo shirt and I think it looks great. Try a tan cotton with a dark blue polo or a navy cotton/linen with a white polo.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads