1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Suit without tie guidelines?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gateslion, Feb 12, 2011.

1. Imhoff

Imhoff Well-Known Member

The suit jacket on Pitt is way too large. Like he is wearing Dads' suit. It also appears to be a one button suit, if the case, looks to have a lot of length on the bottom of the jacket. At least his collar size matches his suit lapel size....[​IMG]

2. GBR

GBR Well-Known Member

Single breasted suit looks fine - double less so.

3. spitfirees20

spitfirees20 Well-Known Member

I didn't say it didn't.

And I don't care what everyone said.

I guess you didn't say "you can't". That's true; I apologize.

4. Orsini

Orsini Well-Known Member

I guess you didn't say "you can't". That's true; I apologize.
    I assure you, no apology is necessary. I have to remain in character, you know... By the way, a specially made shirt to avoid that nasty roll-under sounds like a good idea!

5. thinman

thinman Well-Known Member

You really don't need to overthink this; as Ianiceman wrote, Clooney is the master, so find a few pictures and copy him. It's a casual look that breaks the rules.

I actually did it yesterday: I wore a charcoal gray 2-button suit with side vents, unbuttoned and a blue/gray mini-paisley shirt with a hidden buttondown collar. I wore a pocket square with navy/black/white larger paisley pattern, black double monkstraps and got multiple compliments. I think the key was keeping things almost tonal, so it wasn't too loud. Sorry I don't have pics to post.

6. RangerP

RangerP Well-Known Member

I don't mind the unbuttoned shirt...although I do prefer is the shirt is not a solid white. Seems like too much of a collision between formal and informal if you do it with a white shirt.

My opinion of course.

7. GusW

GusW Well-Known Member

Without a tie the look and scale of the collar is even more of a focal point so be sure to have the right height and collar shape that flatters the shape of your head. I think most guys look best in a spread collar that is somewhat high but not too tall.

8. Bentley

Bentley Well-Known Member

Would a button-down collar work with this look and simultaneously serve the purpose of keeping the collar inside the jacket?

9. TimelesStyle

TimelesStyle Well-Known Member

I'll add my personal rules for this:

-Two button suit, not three or DB
    -Flat-front trousers only
    -Echoing the high, stiff collar (can sub button-down collar with hidden buttons/snaps)
    -Lower rise trousers, sitting above the hip but below the natural waist
    -If you typically wear braces, don't
    -No undershirt showing, this means v-neck/beater only, and if the shirt is white, none at all
    -Build the outfit from the ground up, don't start with a favorite and just remove the tie

10. Felix Krull

Felix Krull Well-Known Member

With all due respect to Mr. Brosnan, this look is for pimps and gigolos. Unless you're as cool as this guy: [​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us then the tie-less look is not for you!

11. Metlin

Metlin Well-Known Member

12. Orsini

Orsini Well-Known Member

Would a button-down collar work with this look and simultaneously serve the purpose of keeping the collar inside the jacket?
    The button-down is not nearly so subject to that nasty roll-under...

13. cptjeff

cptjeff Well-Known Member

Politics aside, Obama does it pretty well. [​IMG]

14. Metlin

Metlin Well-Known Member

Politics aside, Obama does it pretty well.

[​IMG]

Really? I would disagree. I mean, I can understand why he does it, but I always feel like something's missing when he's wearing a jacket with no tie.

15. Nicola

Nicola Well-Known Member

With all due respect to Mr. Brosnan, this look is for pimps and gigolos. Unless you're as cool as this guy: [​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us then the tie-less look is not for you!

That's not a suit.

16. Orsini

Orsini Well-Known Member

With all due respect to Mr. Brosnan, this look is for pimps and gigolos. Unless you're as cool as this guy: [​IMG] Uploaded with ImageShack.us then the tie-less look is not for you!
    Just to comment on the photo, rather than the text of the post, remember that in To Catch a Theft, in this scene, Mr. Grant's character is at a beach resort during the day in the mid 1950's about to call on a lady fair (day resort romantic social). You can also see he is also wearing an ascot or neckercheif and, thus, his neck is not exposed. And note that the waistband is not exposed and that there is plenty of material in those slacks. So, Mr. Grant's character is not breaking any sartorial rules of the day, but demonstrating their proper application by a gentleman of his age and class to project the desired image for this particular venue. Mr. Grant was quite well turned out in this film (as usual.) and sports several looks that the boulevardier could copy today with confidence. This looked good in 1955, it looks good now, and it will look good for as long as Orsini is ambulatory. This is why, for Orsini, it is not necessary to break new ground, but only to look to the past and try to emulate the masters. And to loose some weight, of course...

17. TimelesStyle

Just to comment on the photo, rather than the text of the post, remember that in To Catch a Theft, in this scene, Mr. Grant's character is at a beach resort during the day in the mid 1950's about to call on a lady faire (day resort romantic social). You can also see he is also wearing an ascot or neckercheif and, thus, his neck is not exposed. And note that the waistband is not exposed and that there is plenty of material in those slacks.

So, Mr. Grant's character is not breaking any sartorial rules of the day, but demonstrating their proper application by a gentleman of his age and class to project the desired image for this particular venue.

Mr. Grant was quite well turned out in this film (as usual.) and sports several looks that the boulevardier could copy today with confidence.

This looked good in 1955, it looks good now, and it will look good for as long as Orsini is ambulatory.

This is why, for Orsini, it is not necessary to break new ground, but only to look to the past and try to emulate the masters. And to loose some weight, of course...

I disagree that wearing trousers up to the middle button on a 3b jacket looks current today.

18. TimelesStyle

Really? I would disagree. I mean, I can understand why he does it, but I always feel like something's missing when he's wearing a jacket with no tie.

No, you're just mistaking the "something missing" from his speech to be something missing from his outfit.

But, like you said, his intentions are obvious, a tie is a bourgeois accessory not needed by a man of the people who wants to give away other people's money in order to win a second term (hey, I never promised to keep politics out of it [​IMG] ).

19. Merlino

Merlino Well-Known Member

It's funny how suave and stylish Brad Pitt is supposed to look in this movie, but to anybody with even a hint of what to look for knows that his suit looks like a god damn train wreck. It's sad how the majority of the population will see nothing wrong with his outfit.

You have to bear in mind Pitt's playing a character in a movie. The character he's playing typically wouldn't have the first clue about sartorial elegance, so it wouldn't make sense for the costume designers to dress him in Savile Row head-to-toe. In addition, he's supposed to look Vegas suave

Another example, it'd look really weird if the cops on Law & Order or some other police show would be dressed well. Cops on shows are supposed to be dressed sloppy with one button undone and a tie not tied properly.

20. AHDK

AHDK Well-Known Member

For me it depends on the situation.

If I am going to a after dinner party with some fine dining, then surely it would be with tie.

If I am going to a casual bar for a relaxed drink, then I would leave the tie at home.

In my humble opinion its good to be well dressed for the occasion, but one also has to not be too "dressed". [​IMG]