• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

StyfoJapan Photo Journal (for those who don't know, this means Styleforum in Japan)

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

yeah, first time outside the US too

Oh great choice then.

If you haven't already checked out Odaiba, tokyo fish market (sushi there is legit), and Nikko (a bit outside of the city I am sure @nicelynice will know where) try to go.

I really like harajuku district.

Have not made it to kyoto but there is gonna be a second trip someday.

I spent 2 weeks in tokoyo in 2009, pre-sf days and loved it. There is so much to do and i cannot imagine getting bored.

Last edited:

spacepope

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
whoa!

Japan has got to be one hell of a first experience out of the country. Mine was England and I thought that was pretty different. I hope we get to hear more from your perspective on what the trip was like for you.

That's the plan, along with some words on the stores Jasper and Alex won't cover! Though right now I'm way too tired and overwhelmed to write anything substantial.

I'm headed on Kyoto on the 18th.

Lionheart Biker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great stuff from everyone. Synth, Spope and NN bringing some amazing stories and pics from Japan!

I´ve wanted to go there since I was a teenager, and after seeing this thread I´m even thinking of selling my consoles to go......... (ok, don´t go crazy there man).

ps: Synth, I gave you crap about the calves (they´re fine) and you shut my mouth with dem guns. #swole

Last edited:

sepp

Reaction score
Great journey. Great pictures. Great write up.

Tokyo is indeed second to none when it comes to Asian side of fashionable cities.

Synthese

Darth Millennial
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
TOKYO DIARY DAY 6

Words by Jasper Lipton
Pictures by Alex Scharf

The day started with a trip to Junky Special. What is Junky Special? Junky Special is a great place to buy Buzz Rickson's, Sugar Cane, Mister Freedom, and awesome Hawaiian shirts. It's in Shinjuku, directly beneath the train tracks. It's also the funnest store I've been in so far. Old-timey radio from Hilo, Hawaii, is playing in the background, surfing movies are playing on the wall, and the store is packed full of color, clothing, and racks and racks of denim. The slub is real. I tried on the Gibson Ma-1. They had it in a size too big and a size too small. It is really, really nice. And really heavy. I think I'm gonna buy one this fall.

8yVjh0Y.jpg

This morning's garb - Randolph Engineering Skull Aviators courtesy of Huckberry, Kamigata jacket courtesy of Epaulet, Mercer Tee courtesy of John Elliot. Rick shorts courtesy of a pair of scissors. My opinion is that the Epaulet noragi is superior to the Visvim variant (we stopped by the store and camping trailer today), because it has pockets. Pockets are necessary. Pockets are impossible to live without. Plus it's like a fraction of the price. Win.

t7cFgPX.jpg

e495cQb.jpg

KEEejJl.jpg

VdDn1Tq.jpg

zsGnCcP.jpg

The smile goes better with Hawaiian shirts than with Rick Owens

L2nDWDd.jpg

0i7U9D6.jpg

lDbmE4Y.jpg

After that, we walked through the Meiji-Jungu shrine and ate our delicious packed lunch of sushi rolls. Then we admired the shrine, and wandered through the crowds of Harajuku to the Momotaro store, which...isn't as fun as Junky Special. There's a lot on display, but it's just a space inside a department store, so it's not quite the same experience. You can, however, get the limited-edition dark gray pocket paint if you bring your jeans in.

n146Eq0.jpg

vr6TC1H.jpg

jKtA2xo.jpg

x6ITKqc.jpg

6cjxwAA.jpg

m1cJiRP.jpg

7eb6G6m.jpg

DBjMi2l.jpg

3zqaUBa.jpg

8f3VGWO.jpg

xEBXize.jpg

Up next? Moto Leather and Silver. What a cool store. I almost don't want to say too much, since I'd like Alex to write more about it (his wife loves the shoes), but the Leather and Silver is really, really cool. And the prices are great, too. On top of that, the shop and the staff are very relaxing, so it feels like a place where you can take your time to enjoy the beautiful products they have on offer. Definitely, definitely recommended.

Bf6zmr3.jpg

S3iuHUH.jpg

UEEOiW1.jpg

Now we get to the best part of the day, which I'm going to call: "SYNTHESE AND NICELYNICE GO TO JULIUS"

The Julius flagship is a small shop in Diakanyama, and it is maybe a bit out of place on the pristine streets of the area. I was expecting, I don't know, a hidden entrance through the back wall of a ramen shop, past a man selling eyeballs. No, it's up a flight of stairs on the second floor of a respectable-looking building. There we met Josh, the press agent, who is a former Styleforum and Superfuture member who followed the call of dope jawnz to Tokyo, where he ended up working for Julius. The best part about the store is that we were all, all of us, big nerds. According to Josh, so is the whole staff. Horikawa-san's desk is - apparently - decorated with goods including Evangelion figurines, and most of what they wanted to talk about was food. Our kind of people, then.

I've let myself become excited for the upcoming season, entitled "Sefiroth" (**** YES) (Josh's words: "Dat name tho"), which we were told will combine religious elements with African inspirations - and a gradual move away from the geometric designs. I've always thought of Julius as being a very cosmopolitan brand, and it sounds as though Horikawa's influences span the gamut from manga and anime, to noise rock, religions both western and eastern, and of course, science fiction. Julius has always been wary of positioning itself as a Japanese brand, at least on its sleeve. And I suppose it's hard to be anything other than international when you show in Paris. However, Eastern influences are certainly evident in the design, and Julius as a brand seems as though it could have come from nowhere but Tokyo. Walking home past the neon signs of Shibuya and Shinjuku, it's not hard to imagine the clothing fading into the blackness between the flashing lights in the most perfect way. I imagine motorcycle couriers lounging outside seedy sex shops, dealing in outdated technology and illegal software, listening to dubstep and industrial rock. It's...cool. They probably have swords, too.

We took photos of the store, and then we had the brilliant idea to try on some rad clothes and try our best to look cool. Alex opted for "Space Priest," I, of course, went for "Rogue Smuggler." The results were spectacular. I know you're not supposed to say this kind of ****, but I looked and felt so ******* cool in this stuff I didn't even know what to think. Alex likewise looked like some sort of Guild Acolyte, eyes bulging from Spice. I had enough space in my pockets to carry a billion credits' worth of the stuff through any blockade, he was ready for The Ritual. I'd say the pictures below do a good job showcasing the two sides of the brand. Hard grunge on one side, tailoring on the other - and the contrast between the sharp blazer and the flowing pants and slip-on shoes was too good. All that was missing was a spaceship. We tried to take some pictures inside the store, but the lighting was tough. So...they suggested we go outside? On what planet does that happen? Anyway, then we spent fifteen minutes posing in the street in the baddest gear this side of Ganymede. I'll let you judge for yourselves.

ByObkkt.jpg

tnJ6Xdm.jpg

V9NoVkp.jpg

0TiqbCw.jpg

ys6o50a.jpg

PMNlmcA.jpg

Need to get to the outer rim, quiet-like? I'm you're man.

9FQgpvH.jpg

The Servants of the Mistress are well-dressed in this sector.

SeNzC7o.jpg

The rag-tag crew. This is post-crisis, after we've bonded over our differences and vowed to take down the Empire. Together.

The best part of the whole experience was the reminder that, above all, this stuff is fun. Clothes are cool. They make you have Big Thoughts and Cool Dreams. They transform you into people you want to be or might have been (if it were the year 3000). They're a reminder that life is short, and that we might as well have a good time. We left with smiles on our faces, and I'm not sure you can ask for anything more than that. Thanks are due, of course, to the incredibly accommodating staff - it seemed like everyone had a good time, so hopefully it wasn't just us. I left a true believer, though - or at least, I would be if I lived in Tokyo. I am not sure how Julius would fly in my daily life of hiking, fishing and dog-walking. But perhaps I'll give it a shot.

Then we got donuts.

f5fiz6k.jpg

And I took some pictures of this shiba.

dqaRPTB.jpg

Goodnight, Tokyo. See you for sushi tomorrow morning at the fish markets!

UWCmBil.jpg

Last edited:

brad-t

Bae Blade
Reaction score
Man, that pic makes me want to wear Julius, too.

I imagine motorcycle couriers lounging outside seedy sex shops, dealing in outdated technology and illegal software, listening to dubstep and industrial rock. It's...cool. They probably have swords, too.

Have you seen Takeshi Obata's (Death Note, Hikaru no Go, Castlevania) Julius "editorial"?

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
Oh man.. Synth, julius is your true calling...

Wupper

Reaction score
That jacket looks like it's made for you, Synthese. Really awesome.

Thanks a million for all the great pics and stories!! VERY much appreciated. I enjoy it a lot.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads