• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Staple charcoal suit

nycwallst

Reaction score
Originally Posted by softbakedgoods
tech media = digital advertising? Anything that has to do with tech/media will have a younger demographic. So if you come into the office with a suit on everyday while your associates are wearing lime green shirts with lime green ties that are half tied up, it will seem a bit awkward.

But assuming that you will meet with your investors probably only once a month, not to mention they're CEO's the ideal approach would to be as conservative as possible and forget the hacking pockets and the ticket pocket. BTW, have you considered single breasted? or is the double breasted a personal preference?

I actually do prefer single breasted for a "staple;" double was simply a suggestion of another poster. I love double breasted, but not for a go-to suit.

So, it seems the consensus is notch and ticket, no peak. Slanted/hacking pockets I put on a sport coat of mine, but I wouldn't put it on a very conservative suit (though I would like to!).

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If this is going to be a staple suit, go simple. People are more likely to recognize ticket pockets, hacking pockets, and peak lapels, and will notice that you are wearing the same suit over and over again.

The Louche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hard2Fit
Ticket is OK.
If its a staple I'd rethink the peak lapels
though.
May I suggest a 3 piece and an extra pair of pants?
Good luck.

Originally Posted by dragon8
Ticket is good but go with notch lapels.

Yup.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
For a staple charcoal suit, I would go as simple as possible. Then again, I never get flapped or ticket pockets on anything any more.
100% besom?
confused.gif

AJL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
100% besom?
confused.gif

He subsequently amended this, if you look back, to have intended to say no slanted pockets. I had the same initial reaction as you, as did apparently at least one other. Not sure where the forum stands regarding besom, but I personally find them unfinished (and somewhat cheap) looking. Perhaps they are appropriate in some configurations, but they invariably remind me of the first few cheap suits I owned as a teenager-to-20 something. Much prefer flap, or patch for more casual.

RoyalPaJamas

Reaction score
I recently had 4 suits made (midnight navy solid, mid-grey solid, light grey pinstripe, brown solid) with hacking pockets (no ticket) and peak lapels.

I enjoy the subtle character and, honestly, no one really notices.

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AJL
He subsequently amended this, if you look back, to have intended to say no slanted pockets. I had the same initial reaction as you, as did apparently at least one other. Not sure where the forum stands regarding besom, but I personally find them unfinished (and somewhat cheap) looking. Perhaps they are appropriate in some configurations, but they invariably remind me of the first few cheap suits I owned as a teenager-to-20 something. Much prefer flap, or patch for more casual.
Case by case basis. I think it works (beautifully) in this example:
td1002cl2.jpg
(Tom Ford, circa 2008)
devil.gif

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Go for a 3 piece single breasted notch lapel 2 button roll to 3 suit...

Pick a lovely heavy solid dark grey flannel and you cannot go wrong with it.

It is uber conservative and you can choose to wear the suit with or without the waiscoat...

nycwallst

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lasbar
Go for a 3 piece single breasted notch lapel 2 button roll to 3 suit...

Pick a lovely heavy solid dark grey flannel and you cannot go wrong with it.

It is uber conservative and you can choose to wear the suit with or without the waiscoat...

What about a ticket pocket on this combo?

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nycwallst
What about a ticket pocket on this combo?

I quite like it even if my last 2 suits were uber classic....

I have posted some great pics of double-breasted with ticket pocket and they all look great...

If the fabric is quite plain such as a solid charcoal or navy , the ticket pocket will bring some vavavoum to the suit.

coltboy75

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Newcomer
If this is going to be a staple suit, go simple. People are more likely to recognize ticket pockets, hacking pockets, and peak lapels, and will notice that you are wearing the same suit over and over again.

I think this is great advice. I am thinking of having a staple charcoal suit made and will probably wear it 3-5 times per month. Peak lapels and ticket pockets would make it more noticeable.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabw_wom