• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

spoon tailor -hong kong bespoke operation in San Francisco

katabatic

Reaction score
He is indeed an excellent person. However, I disagree about on his tailoring skill.
He basically ruined a pair of cavalry twills of mine during the 90s when he
was the tailor at the Hound and had private clients- which would be me, when
he had extra time. I still have the unwearable pants if further proof is needed.

The 90s was 20 years ago now - perhaps he's improved in the two-ish decades since?

hooligan

Reaction score
hi, folks
i was hoping to get some opinions on a suit and shirt i had made by spoon. i'm not well-versed in classic menswear, so i'm not really sure what i'm looking for and the guys at spoon tend to rely more on your direction. i believe this is the sixth time i've been in to spoon to try and get the fit right, but every time i come in, my concerns haven't been fully addressed.
i've got a fairly muscular build with about an 8" drop, maybe a bit more. the first cut was so form fitting, it created an hourglass silhouette. i had them let it out and then let out again, and again. now it's starting to feel pretty loose in the chest, but now i can raise my arms comfortably and the "X" around the top button has subsided (tho in pictures, it still appears to be there).
shirt: seems the shirt would benefit from some darting.
suit: from the front, it looks pretty good. from the back, there is some extra fabric behind my left shoulder blade, a lot of bunching behind my thighs (which andrew says they can correct by removing some excess fabric - 2nd photo with excess pinned), and it's not noticeable in the picture, but there is puckering along the right side jacket seam, which i think is related to another issue where the vent on the right side is not laying the same as the left side (right side ends up gapping).
suggestions and opinions appreciated. thanks!

Last edited:

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It looks to be pulling a bit in the front. The back, the wrinkles seem to be from the shirt and there seems to be something a bit off on the pants. The coat seems a bit long.

Last edited:

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The 90s was 20 years ago now - perhaps he's improved in the two-ish decades since?

It was a very basic screw up. Lowering the rise is not "rocket science" for a professional
tailor. I have someone for the past decade or so who always does exceptional quality work,
some of it quite complicated. My only concern is that he'll retire soon.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hooligan

"i've got a fairly muscular build with about an 8" drop, maybe a bit more. the first cut was so form fitting, it created an hourglass silhouette. i had them let it out and then let out again, and again. now it's starting to feel pretty loose in the chest, but now i can raise my arms comfortably and the "X" around the top button has subsided (tho in pictures, it still appears to be there"

You indeed have a muscular build and do not need the built up shoulders that Spoon gave you.
I would have them re-done if possible. Full disclosure; I was at Spoon a few months ago and inquired
about them making me a tweed jacket. They said that they didn't do tweed, nor would they work with my fabric.
Based on the silhouette of your jacket, I think I lucked out.

hooligan

Reaction score

You indeed have a muscular build and do not need the built up shoulders that Spoon gave you.
I would have them re-done if possible. Full disclosure; I was at Spoon a few months ago and inquired
about them making me a tweed jacket. They said that they didn't do tweed, nor would they work with my fabric.
Based on the silhouette of your jacket, I think I lucked out.

Yes, I'm losing faith. Might I ask who your tailor is? I may give up on spoon and take it elsewhere.

Praneeth22

Reaction score
I was at Spoon Tailor earlier today looking to order a suit for frequent wear. I was looking for a 110s and Calvin suggested the Vbc 110s which he said was on sale for 1099 from something like 1400 regular. They had other fabric options for 899 and 999 as well with higher count I think the $999 was 150s material. I ordered the Vbc 110s for 1099 thinking I was getting good value. Did I make the right call? This is for a regular use business suit so I wanted durability. Should the vbc 110s have been cheaper? Thanks!

jcmeyer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was there yesterday too. Was that you around lunchtime? I ordered my first pair of flannel pants so I'm eager to see how those come out.

Anyway, I'm not at all in the know about fabric prices, but I do know @sugarbutch used to also stop by spoon so maybe he can help here.

Praneeth22

Reaction score
Thanks! If it was around 2pm,that was me :)

Went in today for the first fitting. I was told no way around the X at the top button for the style I wanted, which I was a bit disappointed about. It definitely felt they would do anything you told them to, however crazy, no questions asked. I don't know how I feel about that, I'm not expert enough to give that kind of guidance.

Praneeth22

Reaction score
I was at Spoon Tailor earlier today looking to order a suit for frequent wear. I was looking for a 110s and Calvin suggested the Vbc 110s which he said was on sale for 1099 from something like 1400 regular. They had other fabric options for 899 and 999 as well with higher count I think the $999 was 150s material. I ordered the Vbc 110s for 1099 thinking I was getting good value. Did I make the right call? This is for a regular use business suit so I wanted durability. Should the vbc 110s have been cheaper? Thanks!
Picked up the jacket today. Pants are being shortened a little bit. There is some bunching around the shoulders that I'm not a huge fan of but looks good otherwise I think. Would love any input on needed alterations or other feedback. Thanks!

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Picked up the jacket today. Pants are being shortened a little bit. There is some bunching around the shoulders that I'm not a huge fan of but looks good otherwise I think. Would love any input on needed alterations or other feedback. Thanks!
The last photo, the arms seem to be something wrong with all the fabric twisting.

Praneeth22

Reaction score
Picked up the shortened pants, so this is the full suit from Spoon Tailor in SF. Jacket still needs some work I think and the pants unless I pull up from the back wrinkles as seen in some of the pictures.

Waist pulled up a bit from behind:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads