• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

spoon tailor -hong kong bespoke operation in San Francisco

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The problem with the collar is that it's too high. It might also be a bit tight.

otheme

Reaction score
Here is the same suit, after one round of alteration (to remove the horizontal divot on the right shoulder). Also, Spoon can do slanted cuffs on pants :)

The fabric of this suit is Vitale Barberis Canonico 120's, paid about 1k after tax when it was on sale.

2z6gmds.jpg

Last edited:

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here is the same suit, after one round of alteration (to remove the horizontal divot on the right shoulder). Also, Spoon can do slanted cuffs on pants
smile.gif

The fabric of this suit is Vitale Barberis Canonico 120's, paid about 1k after tax when it was on sale.

2z6gmds.jpg
Otheme, wow, that is a sharp looking suit! Makes me want to get a DB even though stocky men usually don't look at in them. I think at this point, any critique is pointless and you should proudly display this in public. The shoulders look much better. BTW, what kind of sale was it and do they often have sale?

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Otheme, wow, that is a sharp looking suit! Makes me want to get a DB even though stocky men usually don't look at in them. I think at this point, any critique is pointless and you should proudly display this in public. The shoulders look much better. BTW, what kind of sale was it and do they often have sale?
*good

otheme

Reaction score
I placed the order at the end of last year I think. They have some in-store fabrics that they want to clear from time to time. You just need to ask. Also I was told that from now to August is the slow season so this might be a good time to shop.

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I placed the order at the end of last year I think. They have some in-store fabrics that they want to clear from time to time. You just need to ask. Also I was told that from now to August is the slow season so this might be a good time to shop.

Thanks. I'll be sure to ask next time I'm there.

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I finally went to Spoons and ordered a shirt out of their Regent book. It's a burgundy, spread collar, double cuffs, double pleated, slim fit shirt. It should be done in about 3 weeks. It came out to be around $95 plus taxes. Man, the place is really tiny. It's the size of my kitchen. I took about 20 minutes looking through fabrics. The fellow who took care of me whom I forgot his name, he had to call his cousin, to help 3 customers including me. They were very friendly but a bit unorganized.

I was looking for some S100 to S120 fabric. They only had S150 from their lower end suit fabric book. He quoted me $600 for a sport coat. I might consider it.

Stay tuned.

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes. Spoon Tailor is the most affordable option in the San Francisco Bay Area that I know of.

+1

So far, they are the most affordable local/bay area tailor without compromising too much on quality. I've actually met an Italian guy at a wedding who has been into fashion since his high school days. He actually has friends who are in the fashion/tailoring business. He recommended me some local tailors I'm interested in. I'll try to find his contact info. and I'll be glad to share the wealth.

GuudBuy

Reaction score
First timer here, be gentle
smile.gif
Has anyone had any experience comparing Spoon Tailor quality to:

1. Brooks Brothers 1818 (I get this at $700, corporate discount)
2. Duchess Clothiers - http://www.styleforum.net/t/159853/duchess-clothier-of-portland

I am looking for a basic/classic solid charcoal suit, mostly for business and weddings. 27 y/o male, 176lb, 5'11"), fits well into a BB Fitzgerald.

Thanks in advance!

GuudBuy

Reaction score
Hey guys, a banker in SF (the city and the forum) here. I am in the process of getting a replacement of my basic solid charcoal suit... something conservative. Primarily use this to attend business meetings and weddings. I stand 5'11" at 176lb.

How would you compare the construction and fit of ~$900 Spoon Tailor (full-canvassed + tax) vs. ~$700 Brooks Brothers 1818 (corporate discount + tax)? If you were in my plight, which one would you go for in terms of value for money?

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Do the BB suits fit you well off the rack? If not, how extensively do they need to be altered?

It's not that hard to find those BB suits for a whole lot less than $700, so if they're a good fit for you I'd say look for one of those before going bespoke.

GuudBuy

Reaction score
@imatlas: The BB 1818 fits me quite well, ~$70 alteration for the back collar (to cover a "bump"), lengthening the sleeve, and slimming the waist. Oh, that's gonna bump the cost to $800!
smile.gif
The pants are hugging a little tight - I squat - even though there is no "stretch mark" around the thigh area, but tighter than my taste ...and they can't do separates. What do you say?

Btw, how do you find those BB suits "a lot less" than $700? I was thinking about waiting for post Father's Day sale, but not sure how low it's gonna get.

cropknox

Reaction score
Given the opportunity, I always opt for made to measure because I like the flexibility of cloth and styling it allows me. I had a suit made by Spoon Tailor and am quite pleased with it in terms of fit and workmanship.

Compared to the Brooks Brothers 1818 line, a suit from Spoon Tailor is going to a lot more hand finishing work. The majority of coats in the 1818 line are fused or half-canvased (e.g., half fused); Spoon will do a full canvased jacket for $50. Lastly, if you're thinking about buying your suit as "Suiting Essentials" separates from BB, if you choose anything that needs to be special ordered, chances are it will just as long as if you had a suit made, in my experience.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads