• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m shocked it’s still available. The OTR version sold out pretty quick if I recall correctly. It’s a great casual year round chambray as it’s not as light weight as the patterned madras fabrics.
Yeah it did. I didn't know the patterned madras fabrics are even more lightweight than the chambray one, it feels plenty light enough for me.

It would have been the perfect shirt if it had a larger collar IMO.

It'd be cool if madras fabrics continue to get released in non-traditional iterations. I also just noticed the summer slub fabrics are available as well for MTM, may hop on that for this summer.

nqtri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Needing a little help here with the fit of my new VBC houndstooth SC (36 slim). Is the Neapolitan cut slimmer around the waist? Upper part it is ok. I think chest and shoulders, even sleeves fit well but it's a bit more fitted around the waist. My theory is because of that, it might push a little bit of fabric up the back.

There's no 36 in contemporary. Should I size up to 38 or let the waist out?
20171208_190817.jpg

20171208_190855.jpg

20171208_191021.jpg

20171208_190930.jpg

SJR3

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
@nqtri

Man, that jacket looks SO good in the front shot. Definitely tight in the side and back pics. I bet if you have the waist let out to the maximum (maybe 1 or 1.25 inches?), it'd be at least acceptable. Then again, that might not be enough. I'd say before you alter that 36 slim therefore making it non-returnable, at least try a 38.

nqtri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@nqtri

Man, that jacket looks SO good in the front shot. Definitely tight in the side and back pics. I bet if you have the waist let out to the maximum (maybe 1 or 1.25 inches?), it'd be at least acceptable. Then again, that might not be enough. I'd say before you alter that 36 slim therefore making it non-returnable, at least try a 38.

I thought about that too. What I'm concerned about is the shoulder of the 38. I feel like right now if the shoulder of 36 is lengthened by a bit it would give me a "dimple" there.

Spex

Reaction score

Torzano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have the blue pinpoint chambray, indigo chambray or denim blue chambray shirt? These look cool online and I've been meaning to go in-store to see them in person. I wonder if any of them might fade like a denim shirt.

https://www.spierandmackay.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=chambray
I have a different chambray shirt from them and it’s more of a soft cotton dress shirt than a denim shirt. I really get confused about what chambray even is. Sometimes it’s more like a denim shirt and sometimes I’ve seen them in linen.

Spex

Reaction score
I have a different chambray shirt from them and it’s more of a soft cotton dress shirt than a denim shirt. I really get confused about what chambray even is. Sometimes it’s more like a denim shirt and sometimes I’ve seen them in linen.

Although I can spot chambray, I honestly can't figure out what makes it different than pinpoint oxford. Denim is a twill weave, so I get that.

I have this Kamakura Vintage Ivy indigo chambray shirt from years ago and it's still going strong. It's faded beautifully from all the wash and wear. It's moving towards a light blue right now and looks very much like a denim shirt from a distance (well...even close up).

http://kamakurashirts.com/contents/vintageivyshirts/

Becon

Reaction score
Needing a little help here with the fit of my new VBC houndstooth SC (36 slim). Is the Neapolitan cut slimmer around the waist? Upper part it is ok. I think chest and shoulders, even sleeves fit well but it's a bit more fitted around the waist. My theory is because of that, it might push a little bit of fabric up the back.

I think it would fit better if you improve your posture. Not something most people consider when trying on a suit. Looks like your shoulders are hunched forward and your pelvis is tilted forward. Very common since we all sit in chairs all day. Pinch your shoulder blades together and push your hips forward. I bet the jacket will look a lot better.

marker2037

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That's crazy how perfect it looks in the front compared to the side and rear shots. I would say though that you should stick to this size and just let out the waist as the rest looks fantastic. I also believe since it's flannel that it will stretch a bit in time after it breaks in.

Betelgeuse

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
@nqtri

I second this, when I saw the front shot my first thought was: damn! This fits great. But yeap the waist is tight in the back part. I second also @SJR3 opinion. I don’t think that the increment in the shoulder will look that big that may generate the dimple. And since you’re in Canada it’s easier to try them.

jdp234

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If the tux I got is any indication, Spier & Mackay's jackets are cut with much more sloping shoulders than virtually anything else I'm familiar with... I have very square shoulders and usually have a little bit of a roll under the collar, but this was huge.

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Looks like your hips are in, pushing forward. This is a posture issue we see in MTM. A good tailor will need to let the sides out at the vent and square up the upper back at the collar.

nqtri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it would fit better if you improve your posture. Not something most people consider when trying on a suit. Looks like your shoulders are hunched forward and your pelvis is tilted forward. Very common since we all sit in chairs all day. Pinch your shoulder blades together and push your hips forward. I bet the jacket will look a lot better.

That's crazy how perfect it looks in the front compared to the side and rear shots. I would say though that you should stick to this size and just let out the waist as the rest looks fantastic. I also believe since it's flannel that it will stretch a bit in time after it breaks in.

I second this, when I saw the front shot my first thought was: damn! This fits great. But yeap the waist is tight in the back part. I second also @SJR3 opinion. I don’t think that the increment in the shoulder will look that big that may generate the dimple. And since you’re in Canada it’s easier to try them.

Looks like your hips are in, pushing forward. This is a posture issue we see in MTM. A good tailor will need to let the sides out at the vent and square up the upper back at the collar.

Thanks for the help guys. You are right, it's the posture. Those pictures were taken after a day sitting at work. I tried it on again after waking up today and yes, the fit is much better with the hip pushed back in.

Luckily I've got a friend who has size 38S so I will try that on. Otherwise, I'll bring it to my tailor to do the waist.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johndavid20224