• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

CanadaCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Or you could buy MTM and have exactly what you want, for not that much more $... best of both worlds.

I’m surprised how many people don’t do this. Pages and pages of, this sleeve length, that collar, yes or no darting, pleat or no pleat, my watch doesn’t fit, my watch does fit....

OTR is more affordable, of course it is. But even if your just shortening the sleeves, you may as well be buying MTM. Talking really marginal savings at that point if any.

10 shirts that fit you 100% with your personal preferences, beats out 30 shirts that fit you pretty good for OTR. Anyday

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My newer S&M shirts accommodate my watch which is nice. Maybe it was just margin of error why the older ones do not work?

Ezio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Random musings:

Hey Rick, how goes the work on the shoe line? I'm planning to get some new ones next year, I'm interested to see what SM puts out.

So, tried out the charcoal peak lapel. It is boss. Man, I don't understand how SM can nail great design, great construction, great fit, and great pricing. I mean, did you guys sell your soul to the devil at a crossroads in Kansas or something.

Got my two sweaters (burgundy cardigan and "ochre" v-neck). Incredibly lovely. They feel great, look great. Certainly the nicest sweaters I've ever owned (I've always been a Gap sweater-man).

What are your guys' thoughts on the Blue Microcheck? I want a peak lapel in blue, but I'm torn on the Microcheck (I prefer solids). If the Spring peak lapels (if there are spring peak lapels) have an awesome blue one, I may hold off for something I like more.

blue-microcheck-main_4.jpg

I'm also having a quarter-life crisis, I'm considering getting floral dress shirts and wearing those. Do I have the cojones to rock that. We shall see. I'm pondering purchasing this shirt: https://www.spierandmackay.com/orange-boldero-floral-print-contemporary-fit.html

Last edited:

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Random musings:

Hey Rick, how goes the work on the shoe line? I'm planning to get some new ones next year, I'm interested to see what SM puts out.

So, tried out the charcoal peak lapel. It is boss. Man, I don't understand how SM can nail great design, great construction, great fit, and great pricing. I mean, did you guys sell your soul to the devil at a crossroads in Kansas or something.

Got my two sweaters (burgundy cardigan and "ochre" v-neck). Incredibly lovely. They feel great, look great. Certainly the nicest sweaters I've ever owned (I've always been a Gap sweater-man).

What are your guys' thoughts on the Blue Microcheck? I want a peak lapel in blue, but I'm torn on the Microcheck (I prefer solids). If the Spring peak lapels (if there are spring peak lapels) have an awesome blue one, I may hold off for something I like more.

blue-microcheck-main_4.jpg

I'm also having a quarter-life crisis, I'm considering getting floral dress shirts and wearing those. Do I have the cojones to rock that. We shall see.

Truth is most companies are marking up way too much because they can get away with it. Design wise, we just listen to what people are asking for. Construction, we look at the best we can do with the supplier we work with. We also have a good understanding of construction, so the wool can't be pulled over our eyes by suppliers (it's very common, ask anyone in manufacturing). That said, we have a great supply chain that keeps costs in check, then we simply keep a fair margin. Enough to run the business, and make a small profit at the end of the year.

Unfortunately, no peak lapels scheduled for Spring/summer.

Ezio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Truth is most companies are marking up way too much because they can get away with it. Design wise, we just listen to what people are asking for. Construction, we look at the best we can do with the supplier we work with. We also have a good understanding of construction, so the wool can't be pulled over our eyes by suppliers (it's very common, ask anyone in manufacturing). That said, we have a great supply chain that keeps costs in check, then we simply keep a fair margin. Enough to run the business, and make a small profit at the end of the year.

It's quite impressive to see. I run a business as well (family business that my father started), and it's just so impressive to see a well-oiled machine run so efficiently. Between being in tune with what customers want, having great control of the supply chain with enough room to experiment, and still being able to offer a great quality product at a great price... I feel like I should write a business case about you guys, haha. You guys have a lot of room to grow as well, it must be exciting times for you. I'm keen to see how you guys expand and how the company will grow and thrive. You guys have been looking at new locations, right?

GxmPpTW.gif

Please tell me you haven't killed it forever and ever. I get that if it wasn't popular enough or something, don't throw limited resources at a niche product, but by God, do I love this design. My life wasn't complete until the Spier and Mackay peak lapel suit came into it. This is the suit that I am damn sure I will meet my future super hot baby mama in.

coolarrow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hit post by accident. Vbc neopolitan Navy suit v2 is great! So happy. Without spier and mackay it would be impossible to find a suit like this at such a great price. I have one suitsupply Hudson that I like because of its similarities like the spalla cammica shoulders and larger lapel but they always have them in wacky fabrics. Here is a conservative Navy suit that’s interesting because of its neopolitan elements. Great job S&M! Can’t wait for round three. Chalk stripe?
Got the same suit as you. Mine is super! Just took the jacket to the tailor yesterday for sleeve work. Can't wait.

coolarrow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
GxmPpTW.gif

Please tell me you haven't killed it forever and ever. I get that if it wasn't popular enough or something, don't throw limited resources at a niche product, but by God, do I love this design. My life wasn't complete until the Spier and Mackay peak lapel suit came into it. This is the suit that I am damn sure I will meet my future super hot baby mama in.[/QUOTE]

I would like to associate myself with these remarks.

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
It's quite impressive to see. I run a business as well (family business that my father started), and it's just so impressive to see a well-oiled machine run so efficiently. Between being in tune with what customers want, having great control of the supply chain with enough room to experiment, and still being able to offer a great quality product at a great price... I feel like I should write a business case about you guys, haha. You guys have a lot of room to grow as well, it must be exciting times for you. I'm keen to see how you guys expand and how the company will grow and thrive. You guys have been looking at new locations, right?

GxmPpTW.gif

Please tell me you haven't killed it forever and ever. I get that if it wasn't popular enough or something, don't throw limited resources at a niche product, but by God, do I love this design. My life wasn't complete until the Spier and Mackay peak lapel suit came into it. This is the suit that I am damn sure I will meet my future super hot baby mama in.

Far from a well oiled machine. Getting there. RE: Shipping/Warehouse/inventory not oiled at all as some of you are aware of. It is a priority to get these issues resolved as quickly as possible so we can grow without these hiccups.

The peak is not dead totally, but we have to still play safe at this point. Maybe we'll run some muted colours and semi solids.

Ezio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hit post by accident. Vbc neopolitan Navy suit v2 is great! So happy. Without spier and mackay it would be impossible to find a suit like this at such a great price. I have one suitsupply Hudson that I like because of its similarities like the spalla cammica shoulders and larger lapel but they always have them in wacky fabrics. Here is a conservative Navy suit that’s interesting because of its neopolitan elements. Great job S&M! Can’t wait for round three. Chalk stripe?
If you get a chance, would you be able to do a full body shot? I'm curious how the Neapolitan looks overall (I'm thinking about getting the VBC as well)

CMAc7

Reaction score
did you guys sell your soul to the devil at a crossroads in Kansas or something.

Not that it has anything to do with this thread, or that I believe in a supernatural realm, but what does this mean? What does “a crossroads in Kansas” mean to you?

Ezio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Far from a well oiled machine. Getting there. RE: Shipping/Warehouse/inventory not oiled at all as some of you are aware of. It is a priority to get these issues resolved as quickly as possible so we can grow without these hiccups.

Well, on my side, shipping has been a pretty pleasant experience from the three orders I've put in with you guys. But in time, you'll get them ironed out.

The peak is not dead totally, but we have to still play safe at this point. Maybe we'll run some muted colours and semi solids.

92c2d2ccce98d07e9e88ef4edd90b3b1--the-shawshank-redemption-movie-lines.jpg

If/when you bring them back, rest assured that at least one customer will definitely be in the market and purchase a couple. Thanks for keeping hope alive!

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
keith2197