• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I also have had only very positive experiences with S&M customer service. I've posted about it before.
But more recently (today) I ordered 3 shirts this morning and then realized in the "notes" I should have asked if they could expedite the order as I'm leaving for a month vacation in Greece and Italy
and would love to have the shirts before I depart at the end of this month.
They replied today (same day) that they would ship it out tomorrow.

I saved the emails in case any troll like folks question the veracity of my post as one person did once before.

I've only ordered from them a few times, but each time, appears to be 8 to 10 days before an item ships with a delivery date. Now this doesn't bother me, as I am in no rush anyway, but does seem a little excessive compared to almost anyone else (i.e. I know they are a small business, so can't compare their processing times to a multinational like Ralph Lauren, but when I order from Stag Provisions, which is a small B&M in Austin, or Schott for example, stuff ships out within a day or two)

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I also have had only very positive experiences with S&M customer service. I've posted about it before.
But more recently (today) I ordered 3 shirts this morning and then realized in the "notes" I should have asked if they could expedite the order as I'm leaving for a month vacation in Greece and Italy
and would love to have the shirts before I depart at the end of this month.
They replied today (same day) that they would ship it out tomorrow.

I saved the emails in case any troll like folks question the veracity of my post as one person did once before.
All due respect, you were fully in the wrong in the scenario you're alluding to (do feel free to revive for any neutral parties to assess if you're feeling frisky), so perhaps nix the unnecessary sass.

Glad they got you sorted on the CS request. you may well have the secret, VIP email alias :rotflmao:

Note: never any negative SM CS experiences, in my history with them.

Edit: @gnatty8 though it similarly causes me no grief, their standard shipping time is abysmal, relative to every other AV I've purchased from. For whatever it's worth, I probably shouldn't be able to order and receive a fully bespoke shipment from Singapore in less time than it takes to order a RTW suit from Canada. To pretend otherwise strikes me as an exceedingly odd form of Stockholm syndrome.

Last edited:

drewdub

Reaction score
Yeah, the shipping delay seems excessive. I ordered trousers, blazers, a suit, and some shirts 15 days ago. Last week, after 11 days of not hearing anything I sent a kind email requesting a status update. The response was that one of the shirts was sold out and requested what substitution I would like. I immediately replied. I was told yesterday that the items would be shipped today (yesterday), but it appears it still hasn't happened. I am rarely in a rush but I've had significantly faster shipping ordered from small companies in the UK and Italy. I'm also concerned that if I hadn't emailed last week, when were they going to tell me an item was sold out?

Overall a pretty below average experience. Hoping the quality of the items (considering the price) make up for it.

DapperPhilly

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All due respect, you were fully in the wrong in the scenario you're alluding to (do feel free to revive for any neutral parties to assess if you're feeling frisky), so perhaps nix the unnecessary sass.

Glad they got you sorted on the CS request. you may well have the secret, VIP

Glad they got you sorted on the CS request. you may well have the secret, VIP email alias :rotflmao:

Edit: @gnatty8 though it similarly causes me no grief, their standard shipping time is abysmal, relative to every other AV I've purchased from. For whatever it's worth, I probably shouldn't order and receive a fully bespoke order from Singapore in the time it takes to order a RTW suit from Canada. To pretend otherwise strikes me as an exceedingly odd form of Stockholm syndrome.

email alias :rotflmao:

Edit: @gnatty8 though it similarly causes me no grief, their standard shipping time is abysmal, relative to every other AV I've purchased from. For whatever it's worth, I probably shouldn't order and receive a fully bespoke order from Singapore in the time it takes to order a RTW suit from Canada.
No, I was not in the wrong. You're entitled to your opinion, but it is incorrect.
I wonder what your reaction would be if someone accused you of being a liar.

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The MtM program for shirts is good and competitively priced, but it has been months since they added any new fabric to the dismal remains currently listed.

DapperPhilly

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've only ordered from them a few times, but each time, appears to be 8 to 10 days before an item ships with a delivery date. Now this doesn't bother me, as I am in no rush anyway, but does seem a little excessive compared to almost anyone else (i.e. I know they are a small business, so can't compare their processing times to a multinational like Ralph Lauren, but when I order from Stag Provisions, which is a small B&M in Austin, or Schott for example, stuff ships out within a day or two)
It's pretty clear there is definitely quite a range of individual experiences. I consider myself lucky as I don't buy all that much, yet have only had positive experiences whether shipping, returns or communication.

Ps

I've ordered maybe 5 mtm shirts and one mtm SC and I received them in the time-frame suggested by S&M.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, I was not in the wrong. You're entitled to your opinion, but it is incorrect.
I wonder what your reaction would be if someone accused you of being a liar.
You were absolutely in the wrong, and the wildly over the top rebuttal attack (I think on @Imperatores though my memory could well be failing in old age) was comically incongruous with the perceived (albeit inaccurate) slight.

As mentioned, do feel free to revive the back and forth and solicit the opinions of others for their input. I'd lay some money on those results.

In any event, do as you please, but nix the unworthy sass, please. It's unbecoming, and more than a little embarrassing.

FWIW, if such an accusation was indeed accurate, what I would not do is double down, lest I come off as both liar and dumdum. In a similar vein, one quoted reply ought suffice, methinks.

DapperPhilly

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You were absolutely in the wrong, and the wildly over the top rebuttal attack (I think on @Imperatores though my memory could well be failing in old age) was comically incongruous with the perceived (albeit inaccurate) slight.

As mentioned, do feel free to revive the back and forth and solicit the opinions of others for their input. I'd lay some money on those results.

In any event, do as you please, but nix the unworthy sass, please. It's unbecoming, and more than a little embarrassing.

FWIW, if such an accusation was indeed accurate, what I would not do is double down, lest I come off as both liar and dumdum. In a similar vein, one quoted reply ought suffice, methinks.
"You were absolutely in the wrong"
Nope

"In any event, do as you please, but nix the unworthy sass, please."
Dude, you are there king of SF "sass".

"
FWIW, if such an accusation was indeed accurate, what I would not do is double down, lest I come off as both liar and dumdum."

Then I would suggest you follow your own advice and let it go. But I doubt you will.

ps Just received email

Your Order Status For Order No. #US40000205729. is updated​
Order No.: US40000205729​
Order Status: shipped​

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"You were absolutely in the wrong"
Nope

"In any event, do as you please, but nix the unworthy sass, please."
Dude, you are there king of SF "sass".

"

Then I would suggest you follow your own advice and let it go. But I doubt you will.

ps Just received email
Though presumably an oversight, I was quite tickled at your choice to exclude unworthy from that honorific. Tis a heavy crown, indeed, but, rest assured, not a responsibility I shoulder lightly. Your (surely sincere) praise only heartens my resolve to soldier on for the good of the forum. I will bear the collective burden. Such is my love for you fine gents.

Note: the ENTIRE discourse, monsieur, if you please. That was, as you surely recall, the entire crux of the discussion. Or, alternatively, nibble at the edges, eventually realize King Sassy Pants (er, shorts?) was right, and let the back and forth die on the vine :bigstar:

blewnote1

Reaction score
Though presumably an oversight, I was quite tickled at your choice to exclude unworthy from that honorific. Tis a heavy crown, indeed, but, rest assured, not a responsibility I shoulder lightly. Your (surely sincere) praise only heartens my resolve to soldier on for the good of the forum. I will bear the collective burden. Such is my love for you fine gents.

Note: the ENTIRE discourse, monsieur, if you please. That was, as you surely recall, the entire crux of the discussion. Or, alternatively, nibble at the edges, eventually realize King Sassy Pants (er, shorts?) was right, and let the back and forth die on the vine :bigstar:

I remember the back and forth between y'all and will be happy never to see a similar discussion reoccur. I don't care enough (nor do I think others do) to pick sides. We're all here to chat about clothes and the companies that make them, personal attacks are unneccessary and unbecoming. Just be cool everyone.

blewnote1

Reaction score
I've been harsh on SM lately and I still have no intention of buying the homage type items that are clearly outside their wheelhouse, but I found this waiting for me when I returned from a work trip yesterday and man oh man is it nice. Some else reported that this feels big but I noticed on the size chart that that these ran small: I typically wear an XL for SM polos (and 46R for jackets, if that helps) but for this, the XL had smaller dimensions. I sized up to an XXL and sure enough it fits the same as the XL polos. The fabric has a a lot of stretch, yes, but you're not supposed to actually use that stretch that way. This is not lululemon.

They're called polo cardigans but that implies layering and this isn't going to be suitable for that. It's very much a shirt that is just a bit more elevated than a polo. Perfect for pretending you are Dickie Greenleaf! (Does Tom Ridley shop at SM???). This will go well with that striped DB odd jacket that I got earlier for all those drug-fueled Mediterranean orgies I keep talking about. Gonna pair with a Gucci loafers and a Patek that I bum off of Mark Cho.

Note that there are two variants, the one called a knit shirt and the one you linked, the polo cardigan. I have the one you linked as I thought the stripe pattern and the pocket were nice details. The fabric is soft and fuzzy so don't do what I did with my last knit polo (wore a backpack over it and then walked a few miles down the forsaken hellhole that is the Las Vegas strip....found later that the backpack had completely mangled the shirt).

Doublechecking your math on this...

I usually wear the XL size as well because I don't like having the waist tight around my dad belly (44R jacket though). I got an XL in the knit polos last year and they fit great. Also an XL in the regular polos.

Looking at the size charts for the knit polo and the knit polo cardigan, it looks like the cardigans are actually sized bigger than the knit polos (46.4" vs 45.7" in the chest, 18.3" vs 18.1" shoulders). Am I reading this wrong? What makes you think they run small?

blewnote1

Reaction score
I'm giving this one a hard look. Anyone have experience with VBC high twist from this bunch?

https://www.spierandmackay.com/prod...igh-twist---neo-cut-----49572921-nesc-01-ss23

I bought 4 pairs of trousers in various colors in this fabric last year (assuming it's the same 240 gsm high twist wool they used to make the trousers last year). I don't know how it will perform as a sportcoat, but I love the trousers. They're incredibly breathable, great for the summer down here in New Orleans. They don't get wrinkly like linen or cotton-linen or cotton, and although they may (and may is the operative word, because I've never really noticed it) crease a little when wearing them seated, that falls out with hanging overnight on a hanger (and that wouldn't really be an issue for a jacket anyway). The handfeel is similar to the Minnis Fresco Lite I just managed to scoop up, perhaps even a little less scratchy, and quite pleasant to wear. I'm sure someone more discerning than I am will say they don't drape well, but if I hadn't already spent my clothing budget on 2 new summer suits I would be looking for a sportcoat made from this fabric to give it a shot.

JTrent82

Reaction score
I bought 4 pairs of trousers in various colors in this fabric last year (assuming it's the same 240 gsm high twist wool they used to make the trousers last year). I don't know how it will perform as a sportcoat, but I love the trousers. They're incredibly breathable, great for the summer down here in New Orleans. They don't get wrinkly like linen or cotton-linen or cotton, and although they may (and may is the operative word, because I've never really noticed it) crease a little when wearing them seated, that falls out with hanging overnight on a hanger (and that wouldn't really be an issue for a jacket anyway). The handfeel is similar to the Minnis Fresco Lite I just managed to scoop up, perhaps even a little less scratchy, and quite pleasant to wear. I'm sure someone more discerning than I am will say they don't drape well, but if I hadn't already spent my clothing budget on 2 new summer suits I would be looking for a sportcoat made from this fabric to give it a shot.
Thanks for the reply. Sounds like a winner. I wish it were offered in MTO.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LanaBurrell