• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

tmckay2

Reaction score
Any insight into sport coat sizing for someone who is 5'11" 170 lbs? Chest is 40 inches, natural waist is 34 inches. I wear slim 34 SM chinos and 15.5 slim SM shirts.
Really trying to avoid having to endure any returns issues if possible. I am thinking a 40 contemporary is the safest bet but curious what others with experience think.

This is only my opinion but with jackets and suits being sold pretty frequently on ebay or the buy sell trade thread here, I'd recommend finding one cheap that you think would be your size as a trial. Even if it doesn't fit you can figure out based on the measurements what would be more accurate. I'm not sure I'd want to completely roll the dice on a $400 suit with their returns.

You'd obviously want it to be something you wouldn't mind keeping but if it totally doesn't fit you can flip it for little or no loss.

BlueSteel

Reaction score
I have somewhat similar measurements, 6'1", 190lbs with 41" chest, usually wear a 16" slim shirt from S&M. I just ordered two SCs for the first time from S&M. I tried 40L and 42R, both in contemporary fit.

40L:
View attachment 1873309
View attachment 1873310

42R:
View attachment 1873311
View attachment 1873312

I think the 42R fits me better across the chest and shoulders. I am still trying to decide if it is best to switch to a 42L or even switching to the slim fit since it has the same chest and shoulder measurements, but a narrower waist (would have to order MTO to get it in long though). Any thoughts on what size I should order in the future?

From your pics I also like the 40L better on you. I think you could get away with either, but the 40L is more flattering and looks more "tailored" to your shape.

Last edited:

UncommonSequel

Reaction score
Thanks all for the feedback! I agree that the 40L looks better off the rack.

@GoldenBrahms correct it is the Brown Check - Neo cut SC

Having tried the jackets on again I think you might be correct in saying that the 42R shoulder is slightly too large. I also feel the sleeve head is in general too large, see side profile of each jacket below:

40L:
40L_side.jpg

42R:
42R_side1.jpg

I think the chest in the 40L fits good, however hypothetically if I were to decide I would like more room, how much can you generally let out the S&M jackets in the chest? Also are there any other alterations, apart from slightly shortening the sleeves, that you would recommend for the 40L?

Lastly, the jacket is nice but I don't quite like the fabric in person, so I will likely exchange both for a different SC in 40L. I see in the size charts that the neo cut has a slightly larger shoulder than their regular SC/suit cut, do folks generally take the same size in both, or is it common to size down in the neo?

Imperatores

Reaction score
@UncommonSequel I agree that the 40L is the more flattering fit. Shoulders, chest and length are the most important parts to get right and they all look pretty spot on. Very minimal tailoring needed. I wouldn't bother with anything beyond sleeve length personally. Really solid overall for an OTR fit.

Being a SS22 jacket, it might have the extra high armholes (did some of the jackets released towards the end of the SS22 drops have the revised armholes used currently?). I only mention it in case you feel like it's bordering on tight at your armpit/chest/lat area. Slightly lower armholes on the newer jackets will likely feel ever so slightly roomier there. Not that it looks tight on you or anything, though.

For what it's worth, my actual chest measurement is 39" and I buy the 38r Contemporary jackets. My fit is very similar to your first pic.

Same here. 39" chest and I wear 38R contemporary jackets.

NickInTO

Reaction score
I'm having trouble using the BOX22 discount code with a suit (15% off) and a shirt (25% off) in my cart, it's giving me the invalid code error. It works fine when I have only one or the other in my cart.

Anyone had any success with an order like this?

tmckay2

Reaction score
I'm having trouble using the BOX22 discount code with a suit (15% off) and a shirt (25% off) in my cart, it's giving me the invalid code error. It works fine when I have only one or the other in my cart.

Anyone had any success with an order like this?

Not sure about that specific situation but somebody else said they cleared their browser cache and it worked. So maybe try that.

GoldenBrahms

Reaction score
Thanks all for the feedback! I agree that the 40L looks better off the rack.

@GoldenBrahms correct it is the Brown Check - Neo cut SC

Having tried the jackets on again I think you might be correct in saying that the 42R shoulder is slightly too large. I also feel the sleeve head is in general too large, see side profile of each jacket below:

40L:
View attachment 1873354

42R:
View attachment 1873355

I think the chest in the 40L fits good, however hypothetically if I were to decide I would like more room, how much can you generally let out the S&M jackets in the chest? Also are there any other alterations, apart from slightly shortening the sleeves, that you would recommend for the 40L?

Lastly, the jacket is nice but I don't quite like the fabric in person, so I will likely exchange both for a different SC in 40L. I see in the size charts that the neo cut has a slightly larger shoulder than their regular SC/suit cut, do folks generally take the same size in both, or is it common to size down in the neo?

The side profile has me convinced - 40L is the better choice here. SM say you can typically let the jacket out up to 1.5" if I remember correctly. This should give ample room if it feels just a tad slim. Like another user stated, the SS22 has higher armholes which make the jacket feel a bit more restrictive in the chest and lats if you’ve ever dared to walk by a barbell. I would not advise changing sizes between the various cuts that SM has. Measurements are one thing, but they don’t tell the whole story.

classicoutfits

Reaction score
Every company has its own challenges and I would imagine more applied for smaller companies. IMO They offer great value for money. Hopefully they will keep improving. I am planning to buy more from them this year, probably the only company that fits me RTE, and planning to dive into their mto program. Happy New Year everyone

GoldenBrahms

Reaction score
Every company has its own challenges and I would imagine more applied for smaller companies. IMO They offer great value for money. Hopefully they will keep improving. I am planning to buy more from them this year, probably the only company that fits me RTE, and planning to dive into their mto program. Happy New Year everyone

Despite my complaints, I try to remind myself of the 2/3 rule. Fast, affordable, quality - pick 2. I don’t need anything I order immediately as I always have to get minor alterations done anyway and my local tailor doesn’t exactly have a quick turnaround time.

They are one of maybe a couple companies whose clothing fits me well OTR with literally just sleeve length alterations and hemming of trousers. The wait is generally worth it.

tmckay2

Reaction score
Can anyone comment on the fit of cotton shorts vs cotton (chino) pants? I wear a 32 slim in spier chinos. Are the cotton shorts right in line with pant sizing or is there anything weird with the fit to consider?

UncommonSequel

Reaction score
@UncommonSequel I agree that the 40L is the more flattering fit. Shoulders, chest and length are the most important parts to get right and they all look pretty spot on. Very minimal tailoring needed. I wouldn't bother with anything beyond sleeve length personally. Really solid overall for an OTR fit.

Being a SS22 jacket, it might have the extra high armholes (did some of the jackets released towards the end of the SS22 drops have the revised armholes used currently?). I only mention it in case you feel like it's bordering on tight at your armpit/chest/lat area. Slightly lower armholes on the newer jackets will likely feel ever so slightly roomier there. Not that it looks tight on you or anything, though.

Same here. 39" chest and I wear 38R contemporary jackets.

Thanks! That's good to know re the extra high armholes. I think slight tightness in armpit/lat area is what I am predominantly noticing, which by the sounds of what you and @GoldenBrahms are saying, should hopefully be improved on the newer jackets.

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anyone comment on the fit of cotton shorts vs cotton (chino) pants? I wear a 32 slim in spier chinos. Are the cotton shorts right in line with pant sizing or is there anything weird with the fit to consider?
The chino shorts I find fit about 0.5” tighter in the waist (I believe size chart reflect this), to likely fit better without a belt in the summer, but otherwise fine. Can still be let out like the regular chinos if necessary

tmckay2

Reaction score
The chino shorts I find fit about 0.5” tighter in the waist (I believe size chart reflect this), to likely fit better without a belt in the summer, but otherwise fine. Can still be let out like the regular chinos if necessary

Thanks! If it's only the waist I can be fine with that as I need a belt with the regular chinos. Just wanted yo be sure no bizarre hip or thigh fitting or anything.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member