• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rubato

gwilliams84

Reaction score
Held up well for me, with minimal stretch.

They’re definitely straight fit as advertised, not tapered (but I prefer that for ecru jeans).

Mine had leg twist from the start. Unsure of why people seem to like that, I have no preference either way
@henrip @gwilliams84 How have the Rubato jeans held up? Stretched a lot? Would you describe the pattern more of a straight fit or tapered? I am looking at the denim dark blue rinse, and sie 34 seems to hit the spot granted rise can be a tad higher for wearing with sportcoats etc.

Any leg twists yet?
d up

henrip

Reaction score
@henrip @gwilliams84 How have the Rubato jeans held up? Stretched a lot? Would you describe the pattern more of a straight fit or tapered? I am looking at the denim dark blue rinse, and sie 34 seems to hit the spot granted rise can be a tad higher for wearing with sportcoats etc.

Any leg twists yet?
I’ve washed them twice and they’ve shrinked about half a size which is perfect for me. I’d say the stretch is very average. Might be very different in indigo though…

Absolutely no leg twist which is a real bummer. I was really hoping for a proper leg twist. I’ve realised that the front pockets are completely useless because they’re very shallow. About one fifth of my iphone (not a Max) is peeking out of the pocket. Usually I wear some sort of a coat but in the summer with only a t-shirt this would be a problem. The back pocket stance is quite wide and angled. I guess it was useful when riding a horse back in the day but since I’m no cowboy it only makes my butt look wide and flat 😄. Also I noticed there are fewer bartacks around stress points than what I usually see in MIJ denim. At this price point I’d expect more effort on other details as well like tucked in belt loops, selvedge or one piece fly. The fabric itself is beautiful. Just the right amount of slub and texture.

The cut is slightly tapered but wears quite straight. If you’re looking for more accurate straight cut I would recommend Tcb 50’s cut or Fullcount 1101. Both have 22-23cm hem width and beautiful 100% Zimbabwe cotton denim. TCB is also far far less expensive. Fullcounts are usually a bit under 300€.

To summarize my opinion I’d say the pros are the silhouette and fabric but cons are the price and details.

henrip

Reaction score
I’ve washed them twice and they’ve shrinked about half a size which is perfect for me. I’d say the stretch is very average. Might be very different in indigo though…

Absolutely no leg twist which is a real bummer. I was really hoping for a proper leg twist. I’ve realised that the front pockets are completely useless because they’re very shallow. About one fifth of my iphone (not a Max) is peeking out of the pocket. Usually I wear some sort of a coat but in the summer with only a t-shirt this would be a problem. The back pocket stance is quite wide and angled. I guess it was useful when riding a horse back in the day but since I’m no cowboy it only makes my butt look wide and flat 😄. Also I noticed there are fewer bartacks around stress points than what I usually see in MIJ denim. At this price point I’d expect more effort on other details as well like tucked in belt loops, selvedge or one piece fly. The fabric itself is beautiful. Just the right amount of slub and texture.

The cut is slightly tapered but wears quite straight. If you’re looking for more accurate straight cut I would recommend Tcb 50’s cut or Fullcount 1101. Both have 22-23cm hem width and beautiful 100% Zimbabwe cotton denim. TCB is also far far less expensive. Fullcounts are usually a bit under 300€.

To summarize my opinion I’d say the pros are the silhouette and fabric but cons are the price and details.
Despite these negative things I listed I’ve worn these nearly everyday since I bought them. All in all these are great jeans 👍. I just wanted to be honest and give a bit of constructive criticism.

I’ll get the front pockets fixed a bit later in the spring… new phones are too big anyways to fit in the front pockets of nearly any denim brand.

vegancrabcakes

Reaction score
Did rubato just massively increase the price of their products? I bought a sweater for $290 USD a month ago, but I just checked and the price is now up to $430!!

Last edited:

K. Nights

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ddi rubato just massively increase the price of their products? I bought a sweater for $290 USD a month ago, but I just checked and the price is now up to $430!!
Yes, just got an email that they now deliver everything duty paid. But if you're in the US it would be duty free below $800 anyway so this is a pretty raw deal

sargeinaz

Reaction score
Yes, just got an email that they now deliver everything duty paid. But if you're in the US it would be duty free below $800 anyway so this is a pretty raw deal
Ya I saw that as well. That’s insane. That’s basically the nail in the coffin for me to ever buy a product from them
Again. That’s simply more than I’m willing to spend on jeans and sweaters and I really liked their stuff.

Iskander

Reaction score
Ya I saw that as well. That’s insane. That’s basically the nail in the coffin for me to ever buy a product from them
Again. That’s simply more than I’m willing to spend on jeans and sweaters and I really liked their stuff.
Same. It's sad, I was planning on buying a lot more of their knitwear but it's no longer worth it. I think I will send them a polite email expressing my disappointment.

Iskander

Reaction score
Same. It's sad, I was planning on buying a lot more of their knitwear but it's no longer worth it. I think I will send them a polite email expressing my disappointment.
Update that they replied saying that US customers have to pay the duties upon arrival anyway so they are just making things smoother by adding them to the final price. So they are either misinformed about the US duty threshold or telling fibs lol

Iskander

Reaction score
Same experience as Iskander. Plus they told me that the price for international shipping has decreased. None of that explains price increases on the order of narly $100 per item.
I just cannot imagine what they were thinking. Small price raises over time are fine and all, but this was ridiculous. Perhaps if they get a big enough backlash they will reconsider. There is no reason they have to do DDP for every region.

K. Nights

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, their denim is now even more expensive than specialty denim brands like Blackhorse Lane.

Customer service told me they were going to discuss any feedback about the change to DDP after Easter, so if you have opinions about it I would send them an email.

mayastig

Reaction score
Despite these negative things I listed I’ve worn these nearly everyday since I bought them. All in all these are great jeans 👍. I just wanted to be honest and give a bit of constructive criticism.

I’ll get the front pockets fixed a bit later in the spring… new phones are too big anyways to fit in the front pockets of nearly any denim brand.
Great review! how much did your W32 (?) shrink overall from its original waist size after all the washing? I’m on the fence of either going my normal waist size or going one size up. Would you say these also wear medium or high rise?

henrip

Reaction score
Great review! how much did your W32 (?) shrink overall from its original waist size after all the washing? I’m on the fence of either going my normal waist size or going one size up. Would you say these also wear medium or high rise?
I’d say the front is high but back is medium rise. The cut is definetely different to MIJ repro cuts. The back pockets also sit higher than normal which I think makes the back rise feel more medium than high. These jeans work really really well when shirt is tucked in but sort of looks a bit odd if even a t-shirt is completely untucked. I have atleast tucked the front in when wearing t-shirt…

vegancrabcakes

Reaction score
I am a US resident. I thought import duties were around 3% for the value about $800? Seems prices went up by 50% on basically all of Rubato's products. So this explanation makes no sense... when I got their email, I expected prices would go up by around $10 for a sweater, not by $140.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads