• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rubato

Coastal Ivy

Reaction score
Sorry, my message was misleading. I’m sure these jeans have stretched and shrunk with wear and washing, but no more than 1cm. Whereas other jeans I’ve had (mainly raw or low tension) have stretched at least an inch in the waist and did not shrink back to their original size after a wash (ie they maintained their stretch somewhat)
Oh wow, very reduced stretch!

Interesting you mention your raw jeans don't shrink back down. Honestly I'm not sure if the pairs I have are raw or not but they have all shrunk in the wash (vintage levis, current orslows, blavkhorse lane).

To add to the compendium that's coming together here, I have rubatos suede and braided leather belt and they're both very nice quality (although I'm no expert).

Also just received their standard cardigan and while have to say it almost has a slim fit! Got an XL and on my 42" chest and 195lbs (wider shoulders, some gut - dad bod) it's a little tighter than expected, especially on the arms and stomach. Also a little scratchy on bare skin. Feels very well built though and if I lost a little weight it would probably fit better.

henrip

Reaction score
Medium roper shirt and size 31 denim
IMG_3830.jpeg

Medium roper and size 32 denim
IMG_3835.jpeg

Last edited:

henrip

Reaction score
So the measurements for the Rubato lot 1 ecru in size 31

Waist 41cm
Front rise 30
Back rise 38,5
Thigh 32,7
Thigh 10cm down from the crotch 29,5
Knee (30cm down…) 24
Hem 20,6 (last 16cm of the inseam is completely straight and hem width doesn’t change)

And size 32
Waist 42,5
Front rise 31
Back rise 38
Thigh 33,5
10cm down… 29,7
Knee 25
Hem 21,3

And the way I fold the jeans for waist measurement
IMG_3831.jpeg

Last edited:

henrip

Reaction score
The fits looks bang on for the jeans and the shirt!
Thanks! There is not much (or any) room for shrinkage though 🙈. If these would stretch out normally I wouldn’t feel unsure. Have you got any leg twist in your pair? These have none.

The shirt I think is really fine and I’m quite sure I’m keeping it 😎

henrip

Reaction score
I added a fit pic of the size 32 in the same post with 31. I might have made rushed decisions last night. Considering the denim is said to stretch less than many other denims I think size 32 suits me better. The fact that I can wash these far more often (weekly) than indigo denim without loosing any color makes me rethink if I need to worry more about shrinking than stretching.

gwilliams84

Reaction score
I added a fit pic of the size 32 in the same post with 31. I might have made rushed decisions last night. Considering the denim is said to stretch less than many other denims I think size 32 suits me better. The fact that I can wash these far more often (weekly) than indigo denim without loosing any color makes me rethink if I need to worry more about shrinking than stretching.
Good to have a comparison shot. I'm sure some other will also weigh in, but I'd go with the 32 - gives you a bit of extra room around the 'upper thigh' area, but doesn't look baggy anywhere. In fact it still looks a good fit in the waist.

I also tend to prefer my ecru jeans to be more relaxed anyway to avoid any associations with tight, white 'European playboy' jeans.

Agree, you might also tend to wash these more than indigo denim anyway, so stretch is less of an issue.

Bartolo

Reaction score
Thanks! There is not much (or any) room for shrinkage though 🙈. If these would stretch out normally I wouldn’t feel unsure. Have you got any leg twist in your pair? These have none.

The shirt I think is really fine and I’m quite sure I’m keeping it 😎
I find the Rubato shirts to be sized at the small end of the range; their L is smaller than most other makers' L I believe.

I bought that shirt too but I think I'm mostly going to wear it open over a dark t-shirt.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Aren’t you going to wear a belt regardless? So what’s the issue with a little stretch? I’d definitely go 32

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
@henrip @gwilliams84 How have the Rubato jeans held up? Stretched a lot? Would you describe the pattern more of a straight fit or tapered? I am looking at the denim dark blue rinse, and sie 34 seems to hit the spot granted rise can be a tad higher for wearing with sportcoats etc.

Any leg twists yet?

Last edited:

K. Nights

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I find the Rubato shirts to be sized at the small end of the range; their L is smaller than most other makers' L I believe.

I bought that shirt too but I think I'm mostly going to wear it open over a dark t-shirt.
I agree. I have the officer shirt in large and it fits deceptively small, even for the given measurements. The sleeves are surprisingly short for a Scandinavian brand.
I have quite a several pieces of knitwear as well, which are expensive but nice

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads