• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rome, Paris, London review

Maharlika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Welcome back GS. Thanks for sharing the photos. Did you have a chance to go to Hotel Hassler on top of the Spanish Steps? They have one of the best views of Rome.

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
I held off buying anything in Rome and Paris, saving my load for London and it didnt disappoint!
Ah, that would be why I never spotted you in Via dei Condotti or thereabouts...I ended up buying not that much there myself; let's see: a grey houndstooth suit, two pairs of driving shoes from the Italian faux-Brooks Bros, called something like Brooks Ltd (?), white merino turtleneck, a few very nice but very neutral shirts from Il Portone and an Altea knit tie...that's about it. Ah, and a mustard yellow waistcoat from a thrift shop. No shoes, astonishingly. After shopping around a bit, I ended up spending most of my clothes money at a nice, mid-price-level shop called Esedra 58 (?) in Piazza della Repubblica. Good prices, and nice people. And they were open to a bit of negotiation, which I like.
Via Condotti was very much "Rodeo Drive"...the usual suspects of high end nice shops...Gucci, Prada, LV, etc. Being from LA, it's nothing new so it wasnt really of interest. The best store I saw was the shoe brand I can't remember the name of but they were all high end and very nicely styled. It was on a different street tho, near Condotti.
+1. Condotti itself wasn't very exciting, but the neighbouring streets have some very nice small shops. Never got around to Mimmo Siviglia.

Maharlika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I visited Rome last year, I went to Via Condotti after a nice lunch at the Hassler. It did remind me a little bit of Rodeo Drive but I ended up buying a peacoat from Dolce & Gabbana. I needed it altered and they told me to have it altered at the Rodeo Drive store, which they did it at no extra charge. Now, everytime I wear my peacoat, Im' always reminded of Via Condotti.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lucky Strike
I ended up buying not that much there myself; let's see:
a grey houndstooth suit, two pairs of driving shoes from the Italian faux-Brooks Bros, called something like Brooks Ltd (?), white merino turtleneck, a few very nice but very neutral shirts from Il Portone and an Altea knit tie...that's about it. Ah, and a mustard yellow waistcoat from a thrift shop. No shoes, astonishingly.

haha that actually sounds like quite a bit!!

The weather was quite nice don't you think? I had wished I packed more lightwear gear.

The best fellows I saw all trip were some random Italian men. There was one particular fellow I saw standing outside a shop near Via Della Corta that I couldnt help stare at for a while. Dressed in brown tones, patterned jacket....every piece perfectly in harmony with the others. Easily one of the best dressed geezers I've seen IRL in a long time.

On the SW&D side, I saw a guy at the Vatican that I later saw that same afternoon near the Spanish Steps who was part of a Chinese tourgroup....youngish guy wearing one of the best brown leather jackets (looked vintage) I may have ever seen...really fitted on his thin frame. He had an olive plaid patterned trouser tucked into boots. I'm not a fan of tucking into boots but his whole look was perfect. In hindsight I should have played Sartorialist and asked to shoot photos of them.

Coho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
By Golly! How do you remember such details? When I studied abroad near London, I remembered tossing a bunch of stuff in the luggage going from CA, US to the UK. By the time I got to Heathrow Airport, I didn't even remember what I bought with me...and you still remember post trip. Amazing.
worship2.gif
I only brought 2 boots, one overcoat, my barbour jacket, 4 sweaters, 7 shirts, 3 scarves, 2 jeans and one cords. One suitcase that still had enough room to pack stuff I bought into.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
^^^ lol....I pack very purposely....and i had been editting what I wanted to bring for a few weeks since I'm anal that way. I thought it was going to be pretty wet, which it wasnt, so in hindsight I woulda brought some leathersole'd brogues instead of just boots.

soulstylist

Reaction score
...nice trip and nicer to heve you back online!

WOT? No gallo socks???

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by soulstylist
...nice trip and nicer to heve you back online!

WOT? No gallo socks???

cheers SS!

Gallo socks are the flash! Saw a lot of great socks in London, including some fun styles from Pantherella that I didnt know they did. I think the next time I'm out there I'll only bring a couple pairs with me and just buy my daily sock needs while out on the town...even in LA we don't have nearly the selection that I saw in London.

flatfront

Reaction score
GS glad you enjoyed London. I am biased as I live here but I think you have to go along way to beat it for clothing options which makes it all the more annoying when you see the state of alot of the populations clothes.
For the mod/old school skins look you must have had a field day! London has that base covered for sure.
Funny enough you mentioned Spencer Hart as this is one of "The Row" tailor shops I have never ventured into. Not my sort of look I suppose.

Britalian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
. Even our 15 hour overnite train ride from Rome to Paris, which was an experience in itself. At least we shared our car with 3 Korean girls and a french girl so no sketchy roommates to speak of. Surprisingly I slept most of the ride so it didnt feel that long.

Ever heard of the budget airlines rattling around the continent?
Rome - Paris must be one of the most competitive routes there is. You must like train travel.

Great posts and details all the same.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Britalian
Ever heard of the budget airlines rattling around the continent?
Rome - Paris must be one of the most competitive routes there is. You must like train travel.

Great posts and details all the same.

yea live and learn. we didnt know better til it was too late. it was an experience, and not a bad one as it turned out

Originally Posted by Uncontrol
I hate your clothes but I love them on you and I think you're awesome.

I'd just kill myself before wearing them myself.

that's awesome ^^^.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads