• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rome, Paris, London review

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
I held off buying anything in Rome and Paris, saving my load for London and it didnt disappoint!

Rome had some nice local shops more in the MC style, nothing really too interesting. Most of their shops were your everyday brands like Prada, Gucci, YSL, etc. There was one shoe brand's store I liked a lot that I can't remember the name of and had never heard of. More of a MC store but really nice wholecuts and brogues, all "fatte a mano" and goodyear welted. In the upper tier of pricing around 500 Euros, so not cheap. Some really sharp dressers, mostly older guys, in a MC style but not boring at all, often combining interesting patterns, colors and textures. SW&D guys were your typical eurotrash style.

Paris had better shopping, but not one item on sale in the entire city. Pointy winklepicker shoes are REALLY popular with most shoes being in this style as well as seeing many guys wearing them around town. Some well dressed guys in this town too, a better SW&D style around town with lots of slim jeans, slim jackets, slim peacoats. Everyone seemed to be really into dressing slim slim slim. Saw some great Santoni boots that were from their Fatte a Mano line but not MC at all, and more geared towards the SW&D crowd. Not cheap at 550 Euros. Never seen so much Ann D or Rick Owens in one place than at Galleries LaFayette. Made me think of poster Chris and it def looks like the stuff he wears. Really drapey and very nicely made. $$$$ gear for sure. (shirts and trousers about 4-500 euros per piece). Colette was a cool store tho a bit too "tragic hip" imo. A bit disappointed with it.

London was crazy good. Whole city on sale. Boutiques exist for nearly every brand and I've never seen as many guys wearing Nudies in one day than I did in London. imo better shops and overall shopping than in NYC. Harvey Nichols was my fave dept store, then Harrods, and Selfridges last. The one thing you won't find are some SF faves like Band of Outsiders, BSon, Nice Collective etc. The prices werent any higher than in USA. If an item costs $200 here, it was 100 GBP there so it was the same. And most stores were 50% off (or more), plus you get VAT returned (13% i think) so it made many items very inexpensive, comparitively. The Pringle shop was one of my faves as they had the entire line, which I'd never seen in real life. Paul Smith was good but I think our LA store or NYC soho shops are actually better with more stock. Fred Perry was small, but they had a great editting of what was avail. Turned out the fella working there knew me from a mod forum and had bought a TaT cardigan too! He even gave us an extra discount on top of the 50% off.

Incredibly, the weather in all 3 cities was fantastic. We had no rain and some days were outright crystal clear without a cloud in the sky.

Here's most of the stuff I bought for myself (repeat from Recent Purchase thread), all on sale at 50-70% off:

Paul SmithxTriumph mainline boots. Dark burgundy with laceup + sidezip
psbootskz7.jpg

Agnes b cotton jacket. (agnes b homme in London had an amazing selection, most sizes avail and all 50% off)
agnesbjacketcf3.jpg

Agnes b moleskin trousers with plaid cuff.
agnesbpantsre8.jpg

Fred Perry argyle cardigan (the guy working there knew me from a mod forum and bought a TaT cardigan from me at one point!! so we got another 20% off the 50% off sale they had)
fredperrycardiganse4.jpg

Fred Perry vneck sweater with cableknit stripes
fredperrysweatersu4.jpg

basic Fred Perry buttondown
fredperryshirtzw0.jpg

Nudie buttondown shirt (I think Rye has this too)
nudieshirtzm7.jpg

Pringle wool/cashmere shirt (maybe my single fave boutique in London)
pringleshirthy3.jpg

and a pair of teal selvedge Pringle jeans

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Some pics from the trip, a catchup of the WAYWT thread. I brought basically the same outfit repeated (buttondown, sweater, jeans combos) so not a lot of variety. If I had known how clear the weather would be I'd bring different gear. And while it was cold, it wasnt *that* cold.

At Carnaby St
-new FredPerry waxed cotton harrington
-BoO shirt
-new Pringle jeans
copyofjasonatcarnabystpc6.jpg

At Arc de Triomphe wearing my usual ****
jasonatarcro6.jpg

At Colliseum
jasonatcolliseumir6.jpg

At JSimons, a legendary store if you're into mod/skin/suedehead stuff
jasonatjsimonsey0.jpg

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Nice pics - I like that Pringle shirt.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
No spotted dick?

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
My first stop in London, Paul Smith sale
jasonatpaulsmithlm8.jpg

Overlooking the Seine River
jasonatseineyw2.jpg

On the Spanish Steps in Rome
jasonatspanishsteps2lp6.jpg

At Westminster Abbey, dressed by London
-agnes b jacket
-Pringle jeans
jasonatwestminsterabbeyso6.jpg

On the way to Vatican City
jasoninitaly2sw3.jpg

At the MC mecca, Savile Row...dressed by London
-PS boots
-agnes b trousers
-Fred Perry waxed harrington
-BoO shirt
jasononsavilerowep6.jpg

Stumbled on this grafitti near our hotel in Rome, about 50 steps from the Pantheon! Represent!
romamodshz2.jpg

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley
Nice pics - I like that Pringle shirt.

thanks, Pringle had amazing clothes unrelated to argyle sweaters

Originally Posted by BrettChaotix
What are "Pointy winklepicker shoes" ?

I love how you have the exact same expression in each photo.

Pointy shoes...they were traditionally referred to as winklepickers in the 50s/60s, being popularized by Teddy Boys

Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC
No spotted dick?

were you in town??

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
1) That's interesting Paul Smith attaches the dangling Sale sign.
2) I hope the monument police yelled at that family for sitting on the Steps. You can't sit on the Spanish Steps!

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
oh yea, Dover Street Market in London was the coolest store in town. Mostly CdG, but an incredible representation of the brand, and they had the most Thom Browne in town, tho Harvey Nichols had quite a bit too (probably the only brand not on sale in the store)

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You are looking good in all the pics. A real SF ambassador. The first thing that came to mind was, with all those great outfits you had on, how much freakin luggage did you have????

Wasn't this your Honeymoon?

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
thoughts on Savile Row & Jermyn St.

these are hotspots in the MC forum. Def didnt disappoint with some great shops

Savile Row....
Spencer Hart was my favorite shop. Odd layout as the entire store is like a hallway in U shape. Very narrow shop and almost claustrophobic. Love his suits, with nice shirts as well.

The classic tailors like Poole, Huntsman etc all seemed to have workshops under the actual store and you could peek in from the street to see craftsmen cutting buttonholes and working on garments.

Ozwald Boateng...the flashiest store on the Row. Very dark inside, not sure if you would know what color suit you were buying until you got it outside and realized it was teal, not navy. Loads of RTW suits on sale. Some nice wallets and accessories, tho his top of tier "bespoke couture" suits are STILL FUSED, from the couple pinch tests I did. A shame at that price

Evisu...not my cuppa tea but they do have some interesting gear. Saw some great jackets and sweaters, that I wouldnt wear myself but they were very nice and I can see them working with someone else's style very well.

Jermyn St...
-loads of shirt shops, all in the MC style. Fellows at Harvey and Hudson very nice and helpful. Most of the shops pretty much leave you alone and don't acknowledge (my) presence, which was perfect since I was just browsing.

Edward Green shop on sale with shoes starting at 320 GBP (less VAT), making them very accessible in price. Lobb and C&J store nice as well, tho not makers I would get much use out of, style-wise. My fave shoe store on Jermyn was Trickers, which was having a tremendous sale but nothing in my size for the shoes I would want. Almost bought a pair of boots at full retail but other purchases that day curtailed that plan. Church's seemed to have boutiques all over town, all of them on sale.

For as many great shoe stores in London, most london fellas wore dreadful shoes, and in general were poorly attired....so many great shirt/suit/shoe stores in town but is no one local shopping at them?? With all these sales, it makes it easier for the everyman to get attired in some of the top gear.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
You are looking good in all the pics. A real SF ambassador. The first thing that came to mind was, with all those great outfits you had on, how much freakin luggage did you have????

Wasn't this your Honeymoon?

yep...I actually traveled pretty light. Before buying stuff in London I only brought 2 boots, one overcoat, my barbour jacket, 4 sweaters, 7 shirts, 3 scarves, 2 jeans and one cords. One suitcase that still had enough room to pack stuff I bought into.

My wife scored at Lulu Guinness (her mecca) with a pair of shoes and 2 bags, in addition to stuff from Fred Perry, and other shops. We barely got everything back home.

jkennett

Reaction score
That trip looks amazing. I hope you and your wife had a great time. I love those new boots you picked up.

The one thing you don't seem to have mentioned is food and entertainment! How do the three cities food all compare? Anyways... Thanks for the great update!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads