• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rome, Paris, London review

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jkennett
The one thing you don't seem to have mentioned is food and entertainment! How do the three cities food all compare? Anyways... Thanks for the great update!

We walked SO much in Rome (our hotel was central enough not to need public transport and we walked everywhere within 20 minutes) that we were too pooped to really go out altho there was a jazz club near the spanish steps in a back street that catered to older style 50s jazz called Gregorys.

Pretty much the same in Paris, as far as ending our evening fairly early after dinner since we were up early the next day.

In London, the fellow at Fred Perry gave us a heads up to a local jazz/rnb nite at Ronnie Scott's club in soho. unfortunately the few bands we wanted to see in London werent playing the time we were there.

Food....pretty much just ate at wherever we were at, at the time. In Rome, local places that I couldnt tell you the names of but meals were good and all ranged around 15 Euros/person. In Paris, had a great steak at one local place and we found an awesome Japanese Ramen joint of all things near the Opera House that had tremendous food and good prices. Was PACKED during lunchtime. Paris is easy to find great sandwiches and lots of local places that arent expensive. London, we didnt really eat anywhere interesting, embarrassingly we did mostly fast food since we were putting all our $ towards shopping and werent too interested in fine British dining. There was a place at the top of Harvey Nichols that made HUGE marinated chicken or steak sandwiches for less than 5 GBP. Tasted phenomenal too. But eating at proper restaurants in London is definitely $$$

Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
Where did you stay in these cities?

Rome.....Hotel Adriano (3 star) within walking distance of all touristy spots. 2 Min from Pantheon and Piazza Navona, less than 10 to Trevi Fountain and Spanish Steps, 20 minutes to Colliseum/Roman Forum or Vatican City. It was on a small street where you could literally get run over by a car stepping out from the hotel onto the street since it is so narrow and a blind spot for oncoming traffic.

jasonathoteladrianoyw1.jpg

Paris.....Hotel Glasgow Monceau (3 star). Great area in Monceau. Real close to everything via Metro and the Villiers station we were near was a good place to get anywhere you wanted. Small hotel, but really modern and minimalist looking inside. Both Rome and Paris hotels had VERY small rooms and even smaller showers! I could just barely fit in the shower, I can't imagine anyone bigger than me being able to use it with any ease. The best part of this hotel was it wasnt in a touristy area, and it was right near a great street full of markets and shops called Village Levi (on the rue de Levi) that was full of meat and cheese shops, restaurants, and many bakeries and sweetshops. We had to walk thru it everyday to get to the Metro and it was easily one of the best things about our time in Paris.

jasonathotelglasgowgs6.jpg

Our London hotel was the nicest, The Kensington Close (4 star). About one block from the High Street Kensington tube station. Bigger room and normal size bathroom and shower! It was a large hotel with a great breakfast that included meats, eggs, etc in addition to continental fare. Rome and Paris only had continental breakfasts but they were very good, esp in Paris. I would eat about 6 croissants daily with bread/cheese and coffee. High St Kensington has loads of shops and restaurants so it's easy to eat close to the hotel. And a short walk to the tube which connects you to the District and Circle lines, making it extremely easy to get around town.

jasonatkensingtonclosejk0.jpg

Overall we had no hitches and everything went smooth. Even our 15 hour overnite train ride from Rome to Paris, which was an experience in itself. At least we shared our car with 3 Korean girls and a french girl so no sketchy roommates to speak of. Surprisingly I slept most of the ride so it didnt feel that long.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BrettChaotix
I love how you have the exact same expression in each photo.
Asians are inscrutable. We cannot be scruted.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
Paris.....Hotel Glasgow Monceau (3 star). Great area in Monceau. Real close to everything via Metro and the Villiers station we were near was a good place to get anywhere you wanted. Small hotel, but really modern and minimalist looking inside. Both Rome and Paris hotels had VERY small rooms and even smaller showers! I could just barely fit in the shower, I can't imagine anyone bigger than me being able to use it with any ease. The best part of this hotel was it wasnt in a touristy area, and it was right near a great street full of markets and shops called Village Levi (on the rue de Levi) that was full of meat and cheese shops, restaurants, and many bakeries and sweetshops. We had to walk thru it everyday to get to the Metro and it was easily one of the best things about our time in Paris.
This is a bit funny for me to read this. That's pretty much the area where I grew up and went to school from age 9 to 16. But that's not an area you often read about when people recount their trip to Paris! (NB: the name of the street is LÃ
00a9.png
vis)

I'm a big fan of the quartier de l'Europe, Batignolles, Place de Clichy - it's a really interesting and eclectic area: some very old-school, traditional Parisian streets and a good mix of population from various origins

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
^^ nice! I really liked the Monceau area...seemed very nice and the shops on Levis were all very nice and polite when we went. I like the idea of having all these small shops you get your daily sundries from, rather than going into one mega store for it all. I suppose it's all a part of the "Parisian romanticism". I bet a local would think it a pain **********, what I think of as being quaint and charming.
smile.gif

oh yea, one of the best things I saw in London was some old rockabilly geezer got on the tube with his acoustic guitar and started playing old rockabilly tunes while the train kept rollin'. He was actually quite good too~!

kever

Reaction score
I'm not gunna lie, I kept an eye out for you when I was in Rome a few weeks ago. Highly unlikely I would have actually seen you, but I knew you were there at the same time.
How does London or Paris compare to Rome in regards to landmarks to see? It seemed like every block or two there is something amazing in Rome.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kever
How does London or Paris compare to Rome in regards to landmarks to see?
My (biased) opinion: Paris kicks both Rome and London's asses in that department, especially London's...

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
My (biased) opinion: Paris kicks both Rome and London's asses in that department, especially London's...

I'd agree....London reminds me of Tokyo in that, for a land full of a lot of history, those 2 cities (London and tokyo) don't have a lot to see if you are looking for landmarks and historical sites.

Rome has more "historical stuff" in every nook and cranny...you walk down a small mazelike series of streets that twist and turn every direction and suddenly you come across a church or some building that is over 500 years old. But Paris has a grandeur about the way it incorporates it's historical and modern buildings in a way that just seems to gel together a bit nicer. As much as the London shopping was amazing, Paris was just a great city and I can see why people miss it after having gone.

After walking around the first couple days in Rome, I understand how people feel when they are lost in a forest. There were times when we thought we were going the right way and we ended up back where we started, walking in circles. It's really hard to get a feel for N S E W in Rome since the streets all bend and twist and there is no grid system to follow. And the crowdedness of the streets and buildings does make it a bit claustrophobic at times.

Kever, hope you had a good time! Did you only go to Rome, or anywhere else?

kever

Reaction score
Yea, we just stayed in Rome. It was our Christmas escape from the darkness of Finland, and we only had a week. It was a great place for that amount of time I think. We saw most major touristy things, did a bit of shopping and had enough time to just sit and have a drink and people watch a bit. The only thing we didn't get to do was go to the Roma soccer game. Rome was the first real city in Europe I've had a chance to explore, other than a few small places in Finland, so I was pretty amazed. I'm Canadian, so being around 2000 year old buildings is amazing to me. The oldest building in my home town is like 100 years old. Seeing the pope and the Vatican was also pretty cool.
I really enjoyed the winding streets in Rome actually. It's confusing, but you find some really interesting things sometimes. We were looking for a church, and happened upon the Pantheon.
Glad you had a good time on the honeymoon. I like the pics.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kever
confusing, but you find some really interesting things sometimes. We were looking for a church, and happened upon the Pantheon.

yea not knowing where we were going was actually a good thing, since we had all the time to explore. The Pantheon was amazing, being in near perfect condition despite its age. Our hotel we stayed was a 2 min walk from there too.

The Vatican was mindblowing. We did a guided tour so it really made everything we were looking at even more interesting since there were so many back stories behind what you are seeing, and how the politics of their day influenced how/who did what.

Warhol

Reaction score
What a fantastic trip! Get Smart, what did you think about the Via Dei Condotti (the street opposite to the Spanish Steps)? Wasn't there any shop of your liking?

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Get Smart;824286 said:
Our London hotel was the nicest, The Kensington Close (4 star).
Holy flashbacks, Batman, that's where we stayed during the London leg of our honeymoon.
I remember those hotel breakfasts they had. They were fierce, as all the hip kids say. Three or four different kinds of bacon, four or five kinds of sausage, etc.
Glad you had a good trip.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Warhol
What a fantastic trip! Get Smart, what did you think about the Via Dei Condotti (the street opposite to the Spanish Steps)? Wasn't there any shop of your liking?

Via Condotti was very much "Rodeo Drive"...the usual suspects of high end nice shops...Gucci, Prada, LV, etc. Being from LA, it's nothing new so it wasnt really of interest. The best store I saw was the shoe brand I can't remember the name of but they were all high end and very nicely styled. It was on a different street tho, near Condotti.

lawyerdad;825956 said:
Our London hotel was the nicest, The Kensington Close (4 star).
Holy flashbacks, Batman, that's where we stayed during the London leg of our honeymoon.
I remember those hotel breakfasts they had. They were fierce, as all the hip kids say. Three or four different kinds of bacon, four or five kinds of sausage, etc.
Glad you had a good trip.

right on. Yea the breakfast was really fierce. Each morning I had about 4 chocolate croissants, plateful of bacon & sausage, about 3 helpings of baked beans, apple juice, OJ, coffee AND tea.

Warhol

Reaction score
Via Condotti was very much "Rodeo Drive"...the usual suspects of high end nice shops...Gucci, Prada, LV, etc. Being from LA, it's nothing new so it wasnt really of interest. The best store I saw was the shoe brand I can't remember the name of but they were all high end and very nicely styled. It was on a different street tho, near Condotti.

I remember a store halfway the street on the right with a number of English brands. I thought you might would have liked that one. But as you say, it's mostly the usual suspects in Condotti, the region around it is much more interesting. There are one or two big malls near Condotti that are fun.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads