• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wrigglez

Reaction score
Baxter make shoes similar to RMW's for less.

I own a pair of brass screw riding boots, (actualy used for riding a horse) and now that i have had them for some years the sound they make resembles scrapping bed of nails against concrete. that is why i ordered the goodyear welt. i know the boot looks sleeker with brass screws, however i will actualy be wearing the shoes in public and dont want to scare small children.

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Wrigglez
Baxter make shoes similar to RMW's for less.

Check out the Henry Baxter Classic boot from Baxter boots. It's a wholecut chelsea boot, just like the famous RM Williams Craftsman, Goodyear welted, very high quality. I'm enjoying mine very much
smile.gif
You can buy them online at Boots Australia (where I got mine) or Blue Heeler Boots.

Enigma89

Reaction score
Originally Posted by vinouspleasure
whats your price range and size?

Lower the better, if at all possible around $125ish. I have small feet, about a size 8.5 in Vans.

wetnose

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Enigma89
Lower the better, if at all possible around $125ish. I have small feet, about a size 8.5 in Vans.

Wait patiently on ebay or the b/s section of this forum, something will come up in a similiar style/color. But RMW quality is worth saving up for though.

laphroaig

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheWraith
Check out the Henry Baxter Classic boot from Baxter boots. It's a wholecut chelsea boot, just like the famous RM Williams Craftsman, Goodyear welted, very high quality. I'm enjoying mine very much
smile.gif
You can buy them online at Boots Australia (where I got mine) or Blue Heeler Boots.

I looked at those sites and it looks like the Baxters don't have internal leather lining any more. Cost cutting measure?

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They still do, actually. I bought mine from Boots Australia and it still has it, so I don't know why that site says it doesn't. If you're on a budget, that's the best chelsea boot to get IMO with comparable quality to an RM Williams Craftsman. RMW has more choices of leather and colour, though, but they're more expensive as well. You get what you pay for.

wetnose

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheWraith
They still do, actually. I bought mine from Boots Australia and it still has it, so I don't know why that site says it doesn't. If you're on a budget, that's the best chelsea boot to get IMO with comparable quality to an RM Williams Craftsman. RMW has more choices of leather and colour, though, but they're more expensive as well. You get what you pay for.
AUD 220 for a Baxter that looks approximately the same as a RMW Macquarie, that sells for AUD 295. Not bad! Frank, care to share pictures of your baxters? It'd be nice to see the creasing and overall wear on the boot. How long have you had yours for?

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wetnose
AUD 220 for a Baxter that looks approximately the same as a RMW Macquarie, that sells for AUD 295. Not bad!

Frank, care to share pictures of your baxters? It'd be nice to see the creasing and overall wear on the boot. How long have you had yours for?

Just a couple months. They're really comfy, the fit is excellent. Pics are on page 614 of the Shoe Damage Report & Appreciation Central thread. Just scroll down some and you'll see them.

amce

Reaction score
Originally Posted by amce
Flag waving

My almost fourth pair, Craftsman Black Veal with a screwed leather sole MTO, are at this very moment on their way from Bootsonline. Just three weeks after ordering, thanks to Barry and his staff and their great service. Of course even the guys at RMW have made their magic as well!

Tracking my MTO's from Bootsonline:

Apr 8, 2009\t8:17pm\tSWEDEN - STOCKHOLM\tReceived and awaiting clearance for delivery.
\t
Apr 7, 2009\t12:33am\tAUSTRALIA - MELBOURNE\tProcessed - enroute to final destination.
\t
Apr 6, 2009\t10:10pm\tAUSTRALIA - MELBOURNE\tReceived and ready for processing.

Apr 6, 2009\t6:18pm\tMOUNT WAVERLEY BC\tItem lodged

Not bad at all from the other side of the globe! Thing is, when they hit Stockholm they got bogged down in the Easter weekend lull. As I live 500 km south of Stockholm I hope to have them tomorrow, Tuesday.

Cheers

wildcard

Reaction score
Just got my first pair of RMW's a couple of weeks ago from bootsonline and love them. Unfortunately, there seems to be a spot where the color has come off which the picture below shows. I don't know what could have caused it, but does anyone have any suggestions on how I could repair these? As far as I know there's no Whiskey polish.
whiskey.jpg

wetnose

Reaction score
See the antiquing thread for details or see if your shoe repair guy can help out.

Basically it'd involve deglazing the area surrounding that patch, then applying as many as 24 miniscule coats of various colored dyes/cremes/waxes to match the surrounding area.

wildcard

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I'll probably just take it to a local cobbler then, but that antiquing thread was quite interesting.

Any reason this happens? Did something drip on the boot I was unaware of, some defect from the factory, etc.?

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bought my first pair of RM Williams boots yesterday. Slight mark on them the size of a pin-head (not even visible looking down on the boot) meant they were heavily reduced - down from A$360 to A$80. Couldn't resist at that ridiculous price.

http://www.rmwilliams.com.au/home.as...ECD6850AE70656

Before you say anything, yes they are the mock croc ones, but for some reason the chestnut colour doesn't make them stand out as too ostentatious IMO, even though I normally don't like croc over and above regular leather. The contruction is the same as a regular Craftsman however.

Will post some actual pics in the shoe Appreciation thread when I get access to a faster connection and will post back here in case anyone is interested.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads