• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Even the calfskin version can give a decent amount, in my limited experience. My Craftsman were a bit snug at the toes on my right foot at first, but a bit of leather stretch liquid and a pair of thick socks fixed the problem. Now they feel great -- almost perfect, actually. They fit so closely that when I put them on, I always think they should hurt my feet, but they never do.

Murray

Reaction score
Originally Posted by grilledcheese
Has anyone here purchased a pair of Craftsmans in suede? I've seen what they look like on the site, but I'm dying to see photos of them paired with some SF-style getups... Anyone?

One more thing for those with the rubber sole--how do you like them?

I am wearing a pair of brown suede craftsmen boots as we speak, which incidentally I bought from Steve at Nungar Trading. I have had them for a couple of years now and wear them regurlarly. They show little signs of wear (apart from the sole) and are easy to clean.

Be careful when wearing them out on the grog though. Some mornings after, we can play "identify the stain on the suede boot", whilst I hold my throbbing head.
musicboohoo[1].gif
If they are treated with a repellant spray and you give them a brush every now and then, spills shouldn't be a problem.

I have four pairs of RM's and highly recommend them to anyone. Being a traditionalist, I am not an advocate of the rubber sole. To me, rubber soles are for running or cheaper shoes.
boxing[1].gif
Have a good one!!

dtmt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Murray
I am wearing a pair of brown suede craftsmen boots as we speak, which incidentally I bought from Steve at Nungar Trading. I have had them for a couple of years now and wear them regurlarly. They show little signs of wear (apart from the sole) and are easy to clean.

Be careful when wearing them out on the grog though. Some mornings after, we can play "identify the stain on the suede boot", whilst I hold my throbbing head.
musicboohoo[1].gif
If they are treated with a repellant spray and you give them a brush every now and then, spills shouldn't be a problem.

I have four pairs of RM's and highly recommend them to anyone. Being a traditionalist, I am not an advocate of the rubber sole. To me, rubber soles are for running or cheaper shoes.
boxing[1].gif
Have a good one!!

Do you happen to own a pair with the brass screwed sole? If so, how do they hold up compared to the Goodyear welted? Also, how different is the appearance between the brass screwed and Goodyear welted?

Murray

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dtmt
Do you happen to own a pair with the brass screwed sole? If so, how do they hold up compared to the Goodyear welted? Also, how different is the appearance between the brass screwed and Goodyear welted?

I own the leather sole which I find extremely tough. I must say that I have never owned a pair of rubber soled RM's and probably never will.

I am led to believe that the rubber sole was designed for those of us who don't wear our boots when in the saddle, thus making the sole more hard wearing.

As far as looks go, I don't think anyone would notice the difference until they saw the sole. Rubber would probably be superior in wetter climates as well.

dtmt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Murray
I own the leather sole which I find extremely tough. I must say that I have never owned a pair of rubber soled RM's and probably never will.

I am led to believe that the rubber sole was designed for those of us who don't wear our boots when in the saddle, thus making the sole more hard wearing.

As far as looks go, I don't think anyone would notice the difference until they saw the sole. Rubber would probably be superior in wetter climates as well.

I think you misunderstood my question, the Goodyear welted and brass screwed are both leather soles:

http://www.nungar.com.au/shop/mto-boots.htm

I'm just trying to get a feel for the difference between these two. When I order some RMW boots, I will definitely get leather sole.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sator
I will hopefully recieve my Forum Special model soon - with brass screwed leather soles and all. I will do a thorough report then with photos. Please be patient guys. I don't know why it's taking so long....

bounce2.gif
worship.gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
cheers.gif
happy.gif
cool.gif
nod[1].gif

lsantoso

Reaction score
Hi All,

Thanks for the huge amount of info and contributions here. This is definitely the best place to go before buying an RM Williams boots. Sator, you are definitely a boot geek. I am impressed by your commitment and knowledge that you've shown throughout this forum thread.

I wanted to ask these questions to anyone here:

Can someone please post a pic / link of any Dark Tan Yearling boots? I am having difficulties getting a good picture of it. There's only one I know so far (bootsonline.com.au). Today I went to their shop at South Yarra but surprisingly they don't have one on the floor. I just want to see how it looks like, especially compared to Chestnut. Even better if someone has a photo of an aged (several years) Dark Tan. I kinda know how a battered Chestnut will look from the RM Williams catalogoue.

My second question is about the Kangaroo compared to Yearling. Do they age comparably? Anyone has a Kangaroo boots for several years might be able to comment on this or even better, post a picture... I really like how an aged Yearling leather look.. I wanted to see the same on the Kangaroo...

Cheers guys, I'm getting closer to own my first pair of RM's!

wellsuited

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
Thanks for the great tips on RMW. I will be in Sydney next week, would anyone be able to advise if it is better to buy them there or via an online site in terms of pricing? thanks!

grilledcheese

Reaction score
ayo murray! (your name used in that context reminds me of the movie "cigarettes and coffee")
but anyway, thanks for answering the seude question. i take it that you're a fan. i was thinking about going with the rubber sole for the crappy and wet weather we get in new england in the winter and spring and because i need a rubber sole/wet weather boot in my rotation. you wouldn't have any pics of the seude boots would you (preferably without the aforementioned 'grog stains')?
tounge.gif

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
BTW guys I dropped into the George St store in Sydney and I noticed they have a new colour suede called "chocolate". It was marked as being only available seasonally. Despite the name, it first looked to me like it was a dark grey. Only when I saw the name I noticed it had strong dark brown overtones. So it is like a dark taupe colour. Very unusual and distinctive.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Ooooooh - I like the sound of that chocolate color. Do you think Nungar or ABH would sell boots in chocolate?

Murray

Reaction score
Originally Posted by grilledcheese
ayo murray! (your name used in that context reminds me of the movie "cigarettes and coffee")
but anyway, thanks for answering the seude question. i take it that you're a fan. i was thinking about going with the rubber sole for the crappy and wet weather we get in new england in the winter and spring and because i need a rubber sole/wet weather boot in my rotation. you wouldn't have any pics of the seude boots would you (preferably without the aforementioned 'grog stains')?
tounge.gif

A fan you rekon? Damn straight. Not only do I have 4 prs of boots, but about 10 prs of pants/jeans and probably 5 or 6 shirts. There are two main reasons I like their boots and clothing so much. Firstly, I weigh about 95kg's, am 6'4" tall with a 35" waist, thus it is difficult to find clothing that fits properly. So far, RMW is one of the few clothing manufacturers whose clothing fits me off the rack, both around the waist and in length and secondly, their clothing has a pure rugged Aussie look about it, not to mention that the clothing and footwear are just so comfortable!!

I wore the suede boots to work on Friday, thus there are grog stains on them again (can't not have a few tubes on a Friday night eh?)
inlove.gif
. Once I have given them a scrub, I will try and get a photo for you. Cheers.....

Murray

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Baron
Ooooooh - I like the sound of that chocolate color. Do you think Nungar or ABH would sell boots in chocolate?

Sartor is correct. You can effectively get any boot with any material in nearly any colour made to order. I bought a pair of Stock Agent top boots in a sandy suede MTO. They usually only come in black or chestnut yearling. It took about 8 weeks, but the wait was worth it.

I would not buy made to order online, as I found it important to view the leather and boot style, then confirm my order with the sales girl face to face. Remember, leather texture and colour can be distorted on a computer monitor. Cheers all!!!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads