• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Restaurant Recommendations

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A couple more places to check out for foods (not necessarily gourmet)

Vienna:

Heuriger Zum Martin Sepp (in Grinzing)
Restaurant "Venezia" in Stephensplatz near Stephensdom
Coffee shop on top of the hill overlooking Schonbrunn

I would also highly advise doing some wine tasting in Durnstein, in the Wachau wine region.

For skiing, I would highly recommend Kaprun, in the Salzburg area, world class.

Prague: I went to a very nice restaurant that was near the Prague Castle, apparently many foreign dignatries had eaten there including the Prince of Wales, I can't remember the restaurant name but I had a great venison steak there.

Budapest: There is a great little restaurant that is across from the St. Stephens Cathedral, I can't remember the name, but it has great entrees and desserts.

Also, one little place across the river from the Parliament had wonderful crepes (both sweet and salty) with a wonderful view for an incredibly cheap price.

Hotel Gellert is kinda a touristy place, but may be cool to check out as well, there are much better spas in Budapest though.

alaaro

Reaction score
wrong, Dupont is harmless. Its got as much crime as any other neighborhood in DC with $750,000 row houses.

DSKent

Reaction score
I'm getting to this late in the thread, but as for DC restaurants, I don't agree with Cafe Milano. Its very overhyped, food wise. Some celebs have been seen there, so therefore its a hotspot. It has very little to hold its hat on, and I am surprised it is still so popular. People just like celeb sightings, so they go, so its popular. Really not worth it, imo.
I think most people agree that people don't really go to Cafe Milano for the food. But if you have a client or a date and are looking to impress, it's the place to be. When I'm eating on my own, I rarely go there. There is certainly better Italian food to be had in DC, even in Georgetown.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Los Angeles:

Sushi Roku (old town pasadena & santa monica) - havent been to the santa monica, but the pasadena restaurant is a regular stopping point whenever my gal and i have a sushi craving.  def one of the best i've tried in so cal.

The original Phillipe's - near Union Station.  this is where the french dip was invented.  always packed (dont go here if there is a Dodgers game that day) and i cant eat a french dip anywhere else anymore.

The Hat (several branches throughout) - by far the best Pastrami Dip sandwich in so cal

Chaya Brasserie - great "continental" cuisine near the Beverly Center (right next to Agnes B, one of my fave stores) and across the street from the famous Ivy.

Albanos - the best pizza in So cal hands down.  brooklyn thin crust style.  on Melrose 1.5 blocks west of La Brea

Maison Akira - on green st in Pasadena.  awesome french-japanese cuisine.

*edit, of course Koi in W. LA where all the beautiful people go. the current "hotspot" in LA

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The Hat is not bad for pastrami, I personally like Clearman's galley as well, it's on Rosemead near Huntington in Arcadia.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
For good sushi, you can try Sai Sai (in the Biltmore) downtown... and Kitayama (technically in Newport Beach, off Bristol off the 73) Kitayama is part of a group that owns fisheries so they have the freshest sushi I have had anywhere in this area.

craig

Reaction score
I need to add one suggestion to nightowls list... Bacchanalia here in atlanta. A pretty cool dining experience. A bit expensive but nice. There is also a new restaurant in the Brookhaven area callen "Haven" great survice and atmosphere. Definately recommended. I eat out to much.
Craig

nightowl6261a

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I need to add one suggestion to nightowls list... Bacchanalia here in atlanta.  A pretty cool dining experience.  A bit expensive but nice.  There is also a new restaurant in the Brookhaven area callen "Haven" great survice and atmosphere.  Definately recommended.  I eat out to much.
Craig
Bacchanalia I forgot that one, you are right, but I nedd to check out Haven, ust so far for me from West Cobb.

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll add a few for Los Angeles

Pizza: I've tried Albano's, but didn't like it at all.  I usually go to Village Pizzeria, on Larchmont.  If you like crust like me, go for the thick crust, Sicialian style.  I really like the meatballs there too.

Mexican taco stand: Taquiera De Anda if I'm in OC, otherwise Chabilita on Western or Cactus on Vine.

Mexican fusion stand: Loteria at the farmers market.  Tortillas are home-made, the shredded beef is fabulous.  Tortilla soup is great too.

Tex-mex: Sonora Cafe on La Brea.  The food is decent, but on Mondays wine is sold wholesale by the bottle.  Makes for a fun meal if you like to drink.

French: Campanile on La Brea, a good value too.  Get the braised spare ribs...it's the only place I've ever been where I'd eat in tiny bits as to savor the flavor.  Jiraffe in Santa Monica is great too, perfect place for a date.

Italian: Angelini Ostera on Beverly.  Very authentic Italian food.  Interesting cheeses (for the adventurous type).

Asian fusion: being Asian, I typically despise these places, but I though Yi on 3rd and Fairfax was pretty good.  Lots of innovative/interesting dishes.

Value Japanese: Mishima on 3rd/La Cienega for udon.  It's the first Japanese noodle-house restaurant I've left feeling full.

Jewish:  I'm partial to Canters on Fairfax for reubens and matsa ball soup.  Perhaps there are better in LA, but Canter's is always consistently good.  Free parking is a plus.

Steak:  I liked Balboa on Sunset the best...awesome steak and great sides.  Maestro's was good too.  Nick & Stef's was horrible.  Sauce on a steak?.?.  No thanks.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.  Most of the gourmet restaurant's I've been to weren't remarkable, so I've left them off.

edit:
I was reading Get Smart's thread again, and wanted to add that if you go to Phillipe's, ask for your sandwitch double dipped.

I also think we should add restaurants you should avoid. For me, Dolce and the Ivy top that list.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
There was a GQ a couple years ago where Alan Richman did the rounds of LA steakhouses, I'll have to dig it out.

enderz

Reaction score
Steak: I liked Balboa on Sunset the best...awesome steak and great sides. Maestro's was good too. Nick & Stef's was horrible. Sauce on a steak?.?. No thanks.
Mastro's is the best steakhouse I've been to in LA. As for sauce on a steak, the best steak I've ever had is Peter Luger's in Brooklyn which serves their steak with the most delicious sauce ever. I know, I know, it sounds horrible but don't knock it till you try it.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Peter Luger's is quite nice, there are quite a few places that I like that serve their steak with sauce, including Prime, and Randall's in Vail. Their Steak Diane is to die for.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
If you like crust like me, go for the thick crust, Sicialian style.

I also think we should add restaurants you should avoid.  For me, Dolce and the Ivy top that list.
see i'm a thin crust guy, hence albano's being tops.

good call on the Ivy, been there a few times and while it's "famous" it isnt all that great and overrated imo

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads